The Mask Thread

Refurb on my son's Itech 950. I had extra matte white plasti-dip and added some matte red spray paint as well. Decals were extra from my Custom Cages kit. I also put in new foam. Its a crappy mask and I'm not super pleased with the result, but it was a good learning experience and made a 4 y/o very happy :)

IMG_20180905_214859.jpg

IMG_20180905_214851.jpg

IMG_20180905_214842.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 8:56 PM, motowngoalie said:

Refurb on my son's Itech 950. I had extra matte white plasti-dip and added some matte red spray paint as well. Decals were extra from my Custom Cages kit. I also put in new foam. Its a crappy mask and I'm not super pleased with the result, but it was a good learning experience and made a 4 y/o very happy :)

IMG_20180905_214859.jpg

IMG_20180905_214851.jpg

IMG_20180905_214842.jpg

Edited by bunnyman666

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, itis121 said:

does anyone know what actually causes the ringing when you get shot in the mask? Is it the foams that push up on your ear that causes the noise to directly travel to it?

@itis121 here is a great video showing a puck hitting a mask at high speed, in slow motion. You can see the puck hits the mask and the momentum/energy from the puck is transferred and dispersed throughout the mask. The ringing often comes from the cage hitting off the shell of the mask and vibrating or other hardware in the mask physically ringing as well. Some of the comments on the video answer questions as well.

51 minutes ago, Goalieinneed said:

I’m looking for new foams for my helmet. I don’t have the cash to shell out for a new shell entirely. I was looking at Maltese but it seems so expensive does anyone else have any alternatives?

I picked up an “ECO” foam chin sling from goalieparts.com and I’m very happy with it. I believe they sell full padding sets, too.

1 hour ago, Goalieinneed said:

I’m looking for new foams for my helmet. I don’t have the cash to shell out for a new shell entirely. I was looking at Maltese but it seems so expensive does anyone else have any alternatives?

45 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

I picked up an “ECO” foam chin sling from goalieparts.com and I’m very happy with it. I believe they sell full padding sets, too.

The ECO Foam is at the same price point as the Maltese and most other repad kits on the market. 

IMO the ECO pieces are better designed (look at the forehead and backplate pieces).  It’s softer and lighter. 

Curious if my 960 is worth a refurb. Wouldn't mind giving it a try. Despite how unsafe it is. The comfort level on it right now is insanely comfortable, and I can't bring myself to get away from it, despite my new protechsport. Note: I only have the cert cage for it at this time. The picture with the cateye on it is from November. 

What do y'all think. 

IMG_20171206_181545.jpg

IMG_20180916_131750.jpg

Edited by Kayen

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw this but haven't been able to find the source:

Murray is practicing(?!?) while concussed and says he wears "the best helmet you can get." I agree that the Pro's Choice he uses is one of the best available, but I think his problem is how loosely he wears his mask! @TheGoalNet pointed out last year how loosely he wears his mask and that Dom at Pro's Choice does not intend his mask to be worn so loosely. How many concussions will it take for him to learn how to wear a mask properly? It's like banging your head against a wall (in more ways than one), and you cannot replace your brain. I think both skaters and goalies need to better understand how to wear a helmet.

• Like 2

On 9/20/2018 at 5:01 PM, Kayen said:

@MangoRhinehart

[Pictures Removed]

43390528_676846922702176_498576374991998

43176031_171891173750986_718565793464529

Here are some progress pictures from earlier in the week/last week. I don't have anymore updated pictures, but mask has been cleaned up a bit more, and passed off to @Doobiesnax who's going to put on some finishing touches. Also got my hands on a non-cert cateye for the mask as well. 

• Like 2

Out with the old and in with the new. 

Thanks to the lovely fiancée chipping in as a bday/Xmas present, I've upgraded from my Bauer C2 lid to the new VTX. 

Just need to grab a new cateye (thanks Canada) and I'll be all set. Definitely excited to jump up into the pro level of protection for the old noggin. 

20181013_135854.thumb.jpg.04e9f9d71e62bb75913e7f8b4fe68f31.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/13/2018 at 5:03 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Out with the old and in with the new. 

Thanks to the lovely fiancée chipping in as a bday/Xmas present, I've upgraded from my Bauer C2 lid to the new VTX. 

Just need to grab a new cateye (thanks Canada) and I'll be all set. Definitely excited to jump up into the pro level of protection for the old noggin. 

20181013_135854.thumb.jpg.04e9f9d71e62bb75913e7f8b4fe68f31.jpg

Where do you get your cateye up here?  I used to get them from the US back when I had a contact there, I don't anymore.

On 10/11/2018 at 10:44 AM, TitanG said:

Just saw this but haven't been able to find the source:

Murray is practicing(?!?) while concussed and says he wears "the best helmet you can get." I agree that the Pro's Choice he uses is one of the best available, but I think his problem is how loosely he wears his mask! @TheGoalNet pointed out last year how loosely he wears his mask and that Dom at Pro's Choice does not intend his mask to be worn so loosely. How many concussions will it take for him to learn how to wear a mask properly? It's like banging your head against a wall (in more ways than one), and you cannot replace your brain. I think both skaters and goalies need to better understand how to wear a helmet.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-concerned-by-rise-in-goalie-concussions-1.1193829

And now TSN is reporting that the NHL is concerned with the rise in goalie concussions. Interesting topic that needs more attention.

2 hours ago, TitanG said:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-concerned-by-rise-in-goalie-concussions-1.1193829

And now TSN is reporting that the NHL is concerned with the rise in goalie concussions. Interesting topic that needs more attention.

Well, you keep giving them sticks that can chug pucks at mach speed and it's bound to happen.  Combine that with the increased rise of awarness and proper concussion detection and follow-up protocole and the numbers are going to look more impressive until we reach the actual "we report one when there is one" plateau.