Jump to content
THE GOAL[ie] NET[work]
SaveByRichter35

The Mask Thread

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Catchingpuckslikestds said:

if anyone needs info on the Rey masks im a lifetime user and i know the owner so feel free to ask me.

They are awesome as the price/performance ratio goes, you get  much more than you pay for

PRO CARBON/KEVLAR mask for the price of CCM 9000.

only cons i see on them is the fact they are a littlebit on the heavier side, but i never really noticed it on my head. Also the sweatband design isnt the best, it is connected with a velcro that tends to fall off after some use (nothing a little bit of superglue wouldnt fix)

pros are pretty evident, amazing protection, great sightlines,the padding is not too stiff nor too soft. They are so great most of the czech pro goalies use them.

if you want to see pics my current mask is basically a 960 series bauer clone.

Also will post pics when my new REY Sauer is in !

Welcome and thanks for the feedback. Love getting inf on the lesser known brands! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looney tunes inspired mask. The background looks black but it's actually a type of chameleon pearl that flips about 6 different colours. The only caveat was it had to have Sylvester the Cats' nose over the 'i' in his name. Gotta love kids :)

PICT0011.jpg

PICT0015.jpg

PICT0024.jpg

Edited by parebele
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, parebele said:

Looney tunes inspired mask. The background looks black but it's actually a type of chameleon pearl that flips about 6 different colours. The only caveat was it had to have Sylvester the Cats' nose over the 'i' in his name. Gotta love kids :)

That would almost convince me to get a paint job! Being a HUGE Looney Tunes fan, especially Bugs (he's been my guide in how to deal with bullies). 

But I'd never wear it 'cos I did not want to risk chipping the paint!

Great execution! Bravo!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For you gents that have had their masks painted, what did you typically pay to have the painted?

im reburshing an old mask and looking at options. 

Cheers,

Edited by Doobiesnax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2017 at 11:34 PM, parebele said:

Looney tunes inspired mask. The background looks black but it's actually a type of chameleon pearl that flips about 6 different colours. The only caveat was it had to have Sylvester the Cats' nose over the 'i' in his name. Gotta love kids :)

Very nice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doobiesnax said:

For you gents that have had their masks painted, what did you typically pay to have the painted?

im reburshing an old mask and looking at options. 

Cheers,

Pricing will vary on the complexity of the paint job - cost me $650 each of my sons 2 paint jobs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doobiesnax said:

For you gents that have had their masks painted, what did you typically pay to have the painted?

im reburshing an old mask and looking at options. 

Cheers,

I typically charge $400-$500, but it depends on what you want and how labour-intensive it is. I'm less expensive than others because I don't do it full-time. Although I'd like to.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2017 at 1:30 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Looks like they executed the design well! 

Have you worn a Rey before? Any concerns on sweating too much from a mask with minimal ventilation?

I havn't, i sweat like a bull anyway though! I did so with my old Wall mask atleast haha. 

 

The paint job was like 130 euro. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As noted, I'm working on a refurb of an old mask, is it kosher to post some progress here or should i start a new thread?  What say you men of "The Mask Thread"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Doobiesnax said:

As noted, I'm working on a refurb of an old mask, is it kosher to post some progress here or should i start a new thread?  What say you men of "The Mask Thread"?

I have no problem with that. I look forward to it. What paint design are you thinking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, parebele said:

I have no problem with that. I look forward to it. What paint design are you thinking?

I'm actually doing a hydro dip on it at a local shop.  Simple red carbon fibre pattern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Doobiesnax said:

As noted, I'm working on a refurb of an old mask, is it kosher to post some progress here or should i start a new thread?  What say you men of "The Mask Thread"?

Post them here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Doobiesnax said:

As noted, I'm working on a refurb of an old mask, is it kosher to post some progress here or should i start a new thread?  What say you men of "The Mask Thread"?

Does a hydrodip require a clear? I looked into Diy hydrodip at one point and kinda forgot those details. I did like that it did really well on contours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The process is similar to normal painting.  They sand (rough up) the current paint, spray a filling primer, then dip the mask.  They then use a automotive clear coat to finish the mask. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the mask I'm polishing up is my old Sherwood Van Velden from the late 90s...  It was in pretty rough shape cosmetically from some hard fought wars and misguided spray bombings in my teens, but the mask itself is still structurally sound.  

01.thumb.jpg.9eda4c8d9917460b0d492c305dbf6a4a.jpg

02.thumb.jpg.30a62abb5ca0ea36878bec6669b2d66c.jpg

I dismantled the mask, removed the old padding, and had a buddy blast a quick matte black finish on it.  

05.thumb.jpg.b52e995490e9aa6db2ed879e3e97877e.jpg

I've purchased new Maltese GPS Gel for the interior, a new Cat Eye Cage from Denis at GoalieParts.com, and replacement hardware and chin cup from Nash.

06.thumb.jpg.46f8995f90d09d523886e2544d79cd3b.jpg

08.thumb.jpg.31aa7a1c7e83c72ba03af7d427c30fe7.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.8da0630dd42bb89e2745409e3938b1b4.jpg

Had a bit of trouble getting the new cage to fit even though it is a "Van Velden" cage, but i recall having to struggle when i was younger to get the stock cage to align with the bolt holes when attempting to reattach to the mask.  The new loop clamps seemed to be about 5/8" short on the sides of the mask to align with the original holes.  I went on a hunt this week to try to find some larger loop clamps at about 4 speciatly fastener shops here in Edmonton and United Cycle but couldnt track down anything remotley close.  I also tried to order some longer loop clamps from McMaster-Carr some others had done on GSBB, but was told that they only ship to businesses up here in Canukistan.  So I ended up drilling new holes on the sides to mount the new cage correctly.

07.thumb.jpg.05019716a27ed6c54bb6815477319961.jpg

As mentioned in a post above, I dropped of my mask to get hydro dipped yesterday with a red carbon fibre pattern and should have it back tomorrow for reassembly.  I'll post some more pics when ye ol' bucket is back in my possesion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys,

I'm kind of stuck between a rock and hard place as it were.

My faithful Hackva developed a crack near one of the screws late in the winter season (straight through the shell) so I have to get a new one.

Looking for something with similar protection, but I'm not feeling all that confident with the choices in my price range ($500).

Unfortunately, a Protechsport is not option because I play in Ottawa, ON and everything has to be CSA.

I've been also searching for used pro models but not having any luck.

I play once a week beer league with players varying degrees of skill.

Looking at a Sportmask X8 or a CCM 1.9.

Can anyone offer any opinions on these two or something else I might have not considered.

Thanks

Cedric

Edited by cedric35

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, cedric35 said:

Hey guys,

I'm kind of stuck between a rock and hard place as it were.

My faithful Hackva developed a crack near one of the screws late in the winter season (straight through the shell) so I have to get a new one.

Looking for something with similar protection, but I'm not feeling all that confident with the choices in my price range ($500).

Unfortunately, a Protechsport is not option because I play in Ottawa, ON and everything has to be CSA.

I've been also searching for used pro models but not having any luck.

I play once a week beer league with players varying degrees of skill.

Looking at a Sportmask X8 or a CCM 1.9.

Can anyone offer any opinions on these two or something else I might have not considered.

Thanks

Cedric

Kijiji is your friend!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You really need to be on it to stumble upon good deals... I missed grabbing a custom painted 961 for $240 last week by like 10 minutes...  I was a little steamed at myself for letting that one slip by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like Sportmasks, wearing a Razor and a Mage. Having said that, I just bought a Bauer 960, which also fits very nicely. Go with whatever fits best.

Another possible option would be to get a protechsport with a certified cage and then just wear your Hackva backplate with it? I'm assuming your backplate has the CSA sticker on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I stumbled on a couple deals with varying results.

One being a Bauer 960 for $300. Issues were was too big (M/L) and he took the CSA stickers off the mask (not sure why he would do that since he played Junior A and it wasn't painted).

Another guy has a tonne of masks and gear for sale (think he has a connection to a hockey school). He also has a 960, but doesn't know the size. He also has an NME10 but he's been giving me the run around.

I thought about using the back plate off my Hackva and getting a Protechsport (considering Michel is 2 hrs away from me).

CSA is getting sneaky. Now 'certified' cages have their own CSA sticker or id plate on the cage itself.

What I'm really interested in knowing when I posted this was if the X8 and L1.9 were as good protection wise as the Hackva.

I'm leaning toward the X8 because it's made in NA.

Cedric

 

Edited by cedric35

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cedric35 said:

Oh I stumbled on a couple deals with varying results.

One being a Bauer 960 for $300. Issues were was too big (M/L) and he took the CSA stickers off the mask (not sure why he would do that since he played Junior A and it wasn't painted).

Another guy has a tonne of masks and gear for sale (think he has a connection to a hockey school). He also has a 960, but doesn't know the size. He also has an NME10 but he's been giving me the run around.

I thought about using the back plate off my Hackva and getting a Protechsport (considering Michel is 2 hrs away from me).

CSA is getting sneaky. Now 'certified' cages have their own CSA sticker or id plate on the cage itself.

What I'm really interested in knowing when I posted this was if the X8 and L1.9 were as good protection wise as the Hackva.

I'm leaning toward the X8 because it's made in NA.

Cedric

 

Maybe I'm mistaken, but prior to the 960 xpm I thought all the 960 were one size, more of a small/medium and the 950 were more of a medium/large. 

The X8 is a pretty good lid for the money. It's not as thick as a Hackva, but not many are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cedric35 said:

Oh I stumbled on a couple deals with varying results.

One being a Bauer 960 for $300. Issues were was too big (M/L) and he took the CSA stickers off the mask (not sure why he would do that since he played Junior A and it wasn't painted).

Another guy has a tonne of masks and gear for sale (think he has a connection to a hockey school). He also has a 960, but doesn't know the size. He also has an NME10 but he's been giving me the run around.

I thought about using the back plate off my Hackva and getting a Protechsport (considering Michel is 2 hrs away from me).

CSA is getting sneaky. Now 'certified' cages have their own CSA sticker or id plate on the cage itself.

What I'm really interested in knowing when I posted this was if the X8 and L1.9 were as good protection wise as the Hackva.

I'm leaning toward the X8 because it's made in NA.

Cedric

Will they really care about the cage having the certification? If anyone is still using a mask that is a few years old or older (like you were with the Hackva), they won't have the CSA sticker on their cage but it is still certified, so you could just pass off the Protechsport as being a older model you got. I've honestly thought about doing the same since the whole certification process is deeply flawed.

Also, if that's really a concern, get a new certified cage with the sticker on it and send it to Michel to use for the mask. I'm sure he would accommodate a special request like that, plus if you wanted his 960 clone you could get a Bauer 960 XPM certified cage and send it to him without him having to do custom cage holes.

Edited by TitanG
Added info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×