The Mask Thread

On 8/31/2017 at 10:45 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Anyone ever seen one of these upclose? For some reason I find myself always checking them out...

http://www.airxess.ch/split/masken/mercury/#content-content-inner

Yeah I keep starring at the chin, how can a goalie look down or side to side - not a fan of the design! Interested in seeing one due to the construction only!

i guess these guys never saw a neck dangler? 

Noticed that the backplate of the leftmost XPM is different than all the other XPM's and NME10's (way too many acronyms). They're all NME10 backplates paired with XPM's except the leftmost, so I wonder why this was done? Supply shortage of the XPM backplates or mess up by the painter?

Edited by TitanG
Added info

On 9/2/2017 at 0:20 PM, TheGoalNet said:

@TitanG - are you sure the shells are not NME? Angle is pretty hard to see too many features.

I do see the the ridge in the middle of the closet backplate and that the far mask is a Wall

Well the NME's (like the one painted in the centre) have that indent above the eyeline and don't have the vibration damping tape that the XPM's have. Also, I did notice the one on the far end is a Wall. I'm just interested why they would have NME backplates for XPM's -- are they made of the same composites and resins, making the only difference the placement of the holes?

Untitled.png.8ea892f9853fca361c903241feed8d04.png

6 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

I'm always amazed at how you guys notice this stuff. I couldn't tell the difference between two mask makers if my life depended on it.:ugh:

Yeah this is only through looking at many masks and coming the realize the differences -- just like someone with cars might.

8 hours ago, TitanG said:

Yeah this is only through looking at many masks and coming the realize the differences -- just like someone with cars might.

I cannot help with the why, but I appreciate the lesson 

I can tell NME on the head, but I couldn't tell in a setting like that 

thanks 

On 9/4/2017 at 10:42 AM, Punisher Goalie said:

Not nearly as awesome as some of the masks posted here, but thought I'd post a pic of mine - Mage RS with a bit of a vinyl tape job. Made my own chin sling and have been very happy with it!

Like it, very simple, but clean and good. Can look good with bruins jersey/pads&gloves ;) .

• Like 1

So I picked up my sons helmet at Griffe on Saturday following it annual facelift, and in talking to Stephane about helmets he told me that the CCM  NHL (real pro) is the lightest mask he has ever seen. He did not have one on hand for me to weigh vs my sons Protecsport 100% Kevlar but he did have a replacement grill. 100% titanium thick diameter tubing not like the Bauer grill that was recalled a year or two ago - WOW it weighed nothing absolutely incredible. Approx $300 a grill the mask if you can your hands on one is $1500 made in Montreal not sure where and by whom but not what you get at the retail level!

would be interesting to hear from some who has seen the real mackoy in its entirety, unfortunately none being painted while I was there.

On 8/23/2017 at 10:05 AM, TitanG said:

So Darren Millard (Rogers Sportsnet) is getting a Sportmask Pro Custom. I always liked seeing these process photos (from Tony Priolo on the Sportmask Facebook page) and as most goalies would want to have the same process done for myself.

And here's more of the mask progress:

21369310_10154890611292517_6958806653526120809_n.jpg.51f69b4571f5328781224f5d2e9ba7d1.jpg