The Mask Thread

15 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I'm curious what kind of foam Pro's Choice uses.  My foam never gets hard.  It is always soft and supple.  I think I went something like 4 years before I decided to get it repadded but it was still as soft as day 1.

Not to hi-jack the thread... but there's some good foam options out there now.  These are from Coveted Mask, black is Neoprene foam and the green is their "Dual Density" foam

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 2.41.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 2.41.44 PM.png

Edited by cwarnar
Wrong text

2 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Not to hi-jack the thread... but there's some good foam options out there now.  These are from Coveted Mask, black is Neoprene foam and the green is their "Dual Density" foam

Hijack all you want - if you have good material to share with us!

Nice looking masks by the way.

OTNY Mask (masks made by Ron Stefaniuk from Coveted Masks) has a pre-cut Maltese foam option, though it costs about $100 USD more than with normal foam.

OTNY CC-M:

OTNYCCM.thumb.jpg.5d9dfc919dca2fac55eea34d25cfe675.jpg

OTNY X1M:

59b1faf5442b5_OTNYX1M2.thumb.jpg.a33da9a3a97da9c096fc9120c100d056.jpg59b1faf8bac33_OTNYX1M5.thumb.jpg.874dc5d9d7d62a620d10aaf1170e8f65.jpg

I'd like to try one someday...

Edited by TitanG
Added words

52 minutes ago, TitanG said:

OTNY Mask (masks made by Ron Stefaniuk from Coveted Masks) has a pre-cut Maltese foam option, though it costs about $100 USD more than with normal foam.

OTNY CC-M:

OTNY X1M:

I'd like to try one someday...

Nice looking masks!

On the topic of non-traditional mask padding, I've noticed that some (maybe all?) pro goalies in Warwick masks now have a layer of Unequal behind the normal forehead foam. Unequal is a unique type of padding used most in football and baseball but is slowly creeping into hockey, with the most famous, but usually unnoticed example being Jonas Hiller who also uses it beneath his Maltese gel (it's the darker green, thinner padding). I've noticed this on both Cam Johnson from UND and Ryan Miller, so I wonder if Warwick is doing this now for all of their pro customers, possibly due to the new NHL regulations on masks? 

Untitled.png.3b64a75b3c7d7b2700cffcb237fe5d54.png

Also, many Boston Bruins players use Unequal under their normal foam, from backup Anton Khudobin in his Pro's Choice mask, to Brad Marchand in his Bauer 5100 helmet and previously Patrice Bergeron in his VN lined Reebok 11K helmet. There are other NHL players who use Unequal as well, and while some say their claims are far-fetched, as long as it actually has some positive impact on head protection I say more people should use it.

11 hours ago, TitanG said:

On the topic of non-traditional mask padding, I've noticed that some (maybe all?) pro goalies in Warwick masks now have a layer of Unequal behind the normal forehead foam. Unequal is a unique type of padding used most in football and baseball but is slowly creeping into hockey, with the most famous, but usually unnoticed example being Jonas Hiller who also uses it beneath his Maltese gel (it's the darker green, thinner padding). I've noticed this on both Cam Johnson from UND and Ryan Miller, so I wonder if Warwick is doing this now for all of their pro customers, possibly due to the new NHL regulations on masks? 

Also, many Boston Bruins players use Unequal under their normal foam, from backup Anton Khudobin in his Pro's Choice mask, to Brad Marchand in his Bauer 5100 helmet and previously Patrice Bergeron in his VN lined Reebok 11K helmet. There are other NHL players who use Unequal as well, and while some say their claims are far-fetched, as long as it actually has some positive impact on head protection I say more people should use it.

How do you know exactly who is using it? Are you selling the stuff?

7 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I would definitely try it if I could get it custom shaped to my mask. 

I also see that they sell insoles. I've been waiting forever for Maltese to start selling insoles, but this may be the next best thing. 

Yeah, I've thought about one day inquiring about getting just a sheet of the stuff to cut to my custom dimensions, but the stuff is pretty pricey.

36 minutes ago, TitanG said:

Yeah, I've thought about one day inquiring about getting just a sheet of the stuff to cut to my custom dimensions, but the stuff is pretty pricey.

I could easily give them an exact tracing of the shape I need but I’m sure they don’t do that kind of thing. I tried with Maltese also - no luck.

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I could easily give them an exact tracing of the shape I need but I’m sure they don’t do that kind of thing. I tried with Maltese also - no luck.

Maybe try with OTNY Mask/Goalieparts who make their masks pre-padded with die-cut sheets of Maltese, or even Monster or Passau who use sheets of it for their pads/protective/accessories?

Also, there are companies online who sell similar products to Maltese like Air2Gel or ARTi-LAGE. One day I'll have to give this a try myself.

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/08/2017 at 7:20 PM, cwarnar said:

Very sweet looking.  Curious to see how it holds up

Update, I've taken about 4 or 5 shots off the chin since the dip and the paint/film has had zero issues!  Only a few more weeks though and this beast will be relegated to the back-up bucket...  

I don't think that happened just because it's an NME 10. I would think it would have to do more with how the mask sits on his head/face just because most masks are pretty much the same shape nowadays. It looked like a compression cut and I think that based on where the puck hit (left eyebrow), he would have been cut no matter what mask he had on. He seems to have a fair amount of bad luck with shots to his head, too. I remember he got the bridge on his front teeth knocked out last year. All of this is just my opinion, though.

• Like 1

Incredible that whether his mask is il fitted or just plain cheap that he doesn't work on getting  a better quality/proper fitting mask.  I remember 1-2 years ago that his Bauer mask had chipped on his forehead looks like he wears a stock Bauer?.

Edited by Big2