The Mask Thread

9 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Any chance you'd be willing to send out a small sample? I keep buying NME8 masks just because the padding is so comfortable. The gel inserts eliminate pressure points. 

I found Maltese too hard also. That's why I went back to the stock NME padding. 

Pretty much, gets less gross though.

sure, I can send out a sample, can you private message me your name and address. 

Hey guys, I’m looking to refoam my bauer mask and after a failed attempt at finding a stock replacement set I came up with a couple options and wanted to get a second opinion from someone more qualified than me. The most obvious two would be to go to a maltese or a new image kit. But after looking around I found they were a little expensive for my taste and that lead me to the thought of using Poron XRD as it is one of bauer’s stock materials in the mask and it’s very comfortable and has great impact absorption. I am thinking of doing something similar to a maltese kit using XRD foam instead. Just wondering if you’ve heard of anyone do something similar or have any experience with any of the kits. Any advice would be appreciated, I face junior A level shots so not much room for error here which is why i’ve held off any purchases so far. 
Thanks, Cedric

Hey,

I’m new to the site and new to goaltending so apologies if:

a) this has already been covered

b) this is too obvious and boring to even be covered 

... BUT, this chin strap that runs along side the chin cup... I find it effing annoying, so in my 3 on-ice appearances, I’ve pushed it out of the way. Because I’m so new, I’m hesitant to just cut it, so figured I’d ask about it here. What do you do? Does anyone actually strap into it, and if so, is there a good reason for doing so (safety related I imagine, cus it sure ain’t for comfort or convenience!)

Cheers,

Mark

1B1F4E25-A9C3-48DA-B926-B786E84A22EB.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Hey,

... BUT, this chin strap that runs along side the chin cup... I find it effing annoying, so in my 3 on-ice appearances, I’ve pushed it out of the way. Because I’m so new, I’m hesitant to just cut it, so figured I’d ask about it here. What do you do? Does anyone actually strap into it, and if so, is there a good reason for doing so (safety related I imagine, cus it sure ain’t for comfort or convenience!)

Cheers,

Mark

I did on my old mask i just felt like it kept my mask more secure, but i dont have one on my current mask so i think you are fine cutting it off

Also btw what mask is that?

Edited by Znowleopard
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Hey,

Cheers,

Mark

I’ve taken it off any mask I’ve used. Btw you don’t have to cut it off - it should be attached using the hardware for the elastic snaps. Just undo that, remove the chin strap, then resecure. 

• Thanks 1

Hey @Znowleopard!

why, it’s a Bauer... (awkwardly runs down to basement to check) Concept 2. The paint job is the classic “albino polar bear in a snow storm” theme. :giggle:

Thanks for the reply; I am leaning towards cutting it. I mean, I’ve already had the goalie coach (who I don’t think is trying to hurt me) ding me on the noggin’, and survived that without the strap being in place. 

Edited by Lucky Pucker
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Hey,

Cheers,

Mark

you can remove it - take off the buckle on the other side, you'll see a screw that you can undo. 

• Thanks 1