The Mask Thread

Changed things up in my fibreglass 941 with a bit of the rust-oleum plasti-dip stuff and some automotive pin striping. Foam is vn with the Maltese sling I bought a few seasons ago. We’ll see how the durability goes and if it doesn’t work i’ll be back to a plain white mask.

17AA9341-6D05-4D34-9EBD-40E204388B74.jpeg

941F1CFB-E38B-4B9A-B9B9-D22168D9750C.jpeg

A9D1B670-2318-406E-9BA8-9DD8B5BEF60F.jpeg

5449364F-E501-47E7-9FFE-AB6045BFA4FA.jpeg

Has anyone had their mask refurbished by New Image Goalie Masks? If you have, I'd appreciate hearing about your experience. I have a Bauer Profile 960 that needs some TLC. Once it's refurbished, I plan on swapping out all the hardware, most of which is rusted over, and installing Maltese padding and new backplate straps to complete the makeover.  

15 hours ago, BauerHockey47 said:

Has anyone had their mask refurbished by New Image Goalie Masks? If you have, I'd appreciate hearing about your experience. I have a Bauer Profile 960 that needs some TLC. Once it's refurbished, I plan on swapping out all the hardware, most of which is rusted over, and installing Maltese padding and new backplate straps to complete the makeover.  

usually a refurb includes the hardware, padding, etc...  I didn't deal with Ray directly, but I have an Eddy Custom Kevlar that he did the refurb on for someone else.  Looks brand new.  

7 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

usually a refurb includes the hardware, padding, etc...  I didn't deal with Ray directly, but I have an Eddy Custom Kevlar that he did the refurb on for someone else.  Looks brand new.  

Did you buy that Custom Kevlar that was on eBay recently?  Beautiful refurb job on that one.

On 4/16/2018 at 3:37 PM, AG37 said:

Some great shots of my Wall mask. Unbelievable mask, I've had for a bit over a year now and its been nothing but amazing. I've taken some bombs in this thing and been run a few times and never had any ringing or any other problems. 

ADAM37.png

RMC_5025.JPG

Are those Outsider Straps on the backplate? If so, how do you like them?

3 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

Thanks for the response, that is definitely good to know. 

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

Are those Outsider Straps on the backplate? If so, how do you like them?

I would also like to know your thoughts on the outsider straps (or the like). My backplate straps are gross and need to be replaced.

@craig, I am currently located in eastern panhandle of West Virginia (about an 1.5 hours from Washington DC).

Edited by BauerHockey47
Add comment

19 hours ago, BauerHockey47 said:

Ray from New Image does amazing refurbs.  Last I heard he was no longer doing them though.  Its been a while so maybe he has gotten back into it.  He is on facebook just search for him and contact him so you know for sure.

10 minutes ago, craig said:

Ah. OK. I'm in Ontario, might be too much of a pain. Does anyone in the States still refurb?

@craig, I fully expect to have to ship my mask somewhere for the refurb. The question is more turnaround and cost.

@SaveByRichter35, thanks for the heads up. I don't have Facebook (I know, shocking), so I'll likely reach out through his website.

Edited by BauerHockey47
add comment

1 hour ago, Mike24 said:

does anyone know what foam was used in armadilla’s?

I believe it was proprietary. Don would know for sure. I've seen closed cell foams that look similar. But I've never seen an Armadilla in person so its hard to say. 

1 hour ago, Mike24 said:

what grit sand paper is used to sand down masks? 

Depends what you're painting it with and how much you're taking off of it. If you're using automotive paints you should follow the guidelines of the paint being used.

Standard rule of thumb is get everything up to 220 grit before priming (grits used before depend on the condition of the surface), then  work up to 400 grit for a single stage urethane or 600 grit for basecoat/clearcoat. All sanding after priming is generally wet sanded. 

Theres a bit of a learning curve with this kind of stuff if you want to do it right. It also requires special tools/equipment and consumables that most people don't have kicking around their garage.

You could always do the dirty work yourself and delegate the final steps to a painter or someone in the autobody industry if you're going with a simple design. 

This is about as involved as it gets for a refurb. Final product will be nice if its done right though.

12 minutes ago, BauerHockey47 said:

@craig, I fully expect to have to ship my mask somewhere for the refurb. The question is more turnaround and cost.

Look around locally first for sure. I know there used to be quite a few guys in the states that would do refurbs. I know Warwick does them. But I'm not sure if that's only their masks... or others as well. Last I looked I know Ray was done doing refurbs but was still making foam kits. That's always an option too. 

If you can't find anyone and would be willing to ship your mask north of the border, PM me and let me know what you're looking to have done. 

3 hours ago, BauerHockey47 said:

Thanks for the response, that is definitely good to know. 

I would also like to know your thoughts on the outsider straps (or the like). My backplate straps are gross and need to be replaced.

@craig, I am currently located in eastern panhandle of West Virginia (about an 1.5 hours from Washington DC).

Absolutely love my outsider straps! Just make sure you don't get the ones with snaps. I don't like those. 

1 hour ago, craig said:

Look around locally first for sure. I know there used to be quite a few guys in the states that would do refurbs. I know Warwick does them. But I'm not sure if that's only their masks... or others as well. Last I looked I know Ray was done doing refurbs but was still making foam kits. That's always an option too. 

If you can't find anyone and would be willing to ship your mask north of the border, PM me and let me know what you're looking to have done. 

Thanks, @craig; will do.

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Doug Wager of Weasel Head Custom Designs does refurbs as well.  He is in the Philly area I believe.

Also, thanks @SaveByRichter35. I guess I will have someone else reach out to him via Facebook because I don't have (and don't want) one.