The Mask Thread

• 3 weeks later...

Finally picked up my old Promasque Classique (circa ‘98) from my parents garage. Was thinking about getting a brand new mask but opted to go the “full refurbishment” route through Matty at Promasque. Just shipped it off today so should have back in a few weeks. Went with white powder coated pro cat eye and white straps. Will post “after”shots when it arrives. 

Ps - my brother did the paint back in high school! Not bad at the time and free wasn’t bad either!!

27E61C49-4BF1-4AE1-9A74-6AC7EB884E0D.jpeg

A88FA11D-66C0-46A5-893F-682F5C08B69B.jpeg

B9CB33C7-F4C0-44F1-807A-2FF6C6252A77.jpeg

CE5FB4EC-4663-4A12-B8C0-60879E25FB8D.jpeg

118BE254-AC48-4383-A3AD-4BBC0751010E.jpeg

E6DBFD40-026D-4CFE-800C-481C2394A462.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dstew29 said:

Finally picked up my old Promasque Classique (circa ‘98) from my parents garage. Was thinking about getting a brand new mask but opted to go the “full refurbishment” route through Matty at Promasque. Just shipped it off today so should have back in a few weeks. Went with white powder coated pro cat eye and white straps. Will post “after”shots when it arrives. 

Ps - my brother did the paint back in high school! Not bad at the time and free wasn’t bad either!!

Oh, 1998, so not that long ago, just about... (does math, runs out of fingers, starts again...) TWENTY YEARS!?!?!

:myhead:

9 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

In all seriousness- the only way composites, if laminted with epoxy, degrade is through repeated impacts, and we’re talking MANY repeated impacts! How long did you use it before its slumber?

That makes sense. I'd say 6-7 years tops. There is some very minor chipping at the outer edge of the mask near the ear holes but otherwise the shell looks to be very much intact.

I opted to get it scraped and go back to a white canvas with white powder coated pro cat eye. I was initially just going to keep the polished stainless steel cage but after seeing a bunch of pro masks with it I really liked that look and changed.

Although I'd love to get a brand new lid, I'm just getting back into it so I just went easy path for now. If I went new - I'd probably go Bauer VTX if retail or Warwick if custom.

54 minutes ago, itis121 said:

Does anyone know if the liner or shell changes between bauer NME fits? I think this has been asked before but can't find it. 

The shell definitely does so I assume the padding does as well. But apparently not the cages. Ever try putting an NME cage onto a Fit 1? It's absolute hell. I bet its really easy on a Fit 3 though. 

Edited by IPv6Freely

22 hours ago, dstew29 said:

27E61C49-4BF1-4AE1-9A74-6AC7EB884E0D.jpeg

A88FA11D-66C0-46A5-893F-682F5C08B69B.jpeg

B9CB33C7-F4C0-44F1-807A-2FF6C6252A77.jpeg

CE5FB4EC-4663-4A12-B8C0-60879E25FB8D.jpeg

118BE254-AC48-4383-A3AD-4BBC0751010E.jpeg

E6DBFD40-026D-4CFE-800C-481C2394A462.jpeg

I had one of those and similar timing. Brings back memories 

On 7/27/2018 at 9:37 AM, dstew29 said:

That makes sense. I'd say 6-7 years tops. There is some very minor chipping at the outer edge of the mask near the ear holes but otherwise the shell looks to be very much intact.

I opted to get it scraped and go back to a white canvas with white powder coated pro cat eye. I was initially just going to keep the polished stainless steel cage but after seeing a bunch of pro masks with it I really liked that look and changed.

Although I'd love to get a brand new lid, I'm just getting back into it so I just went easy path for now. If I went new - I'd probably go Bauer VTX if retail or Warwick if custom.

Edited by bunnyman666

My recent Christmas present to myself was my mask paintjob.  My team is the Yellow Jackets with all Boston colors. 

I was pretty pleased with the result. This was the first goalie mask the airbrush artist had painted.  It isn't perfect,  but I love it.

20151212_152038.jpg

20151212_152349-2.jpg

20151212_152205.jpg

20151212_152408.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Knock on the shell.If you hear a solid “thock”, you’re good; if something else, you’re NOT good. This is not as good as an X-ray, but a decent way to tell what the integrity is.

Thanks, will give a once over once I have it back.

17 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

The shell definitely does so I assume the padding does as well. But apparently not the cages. Ever try putting an NME cage onto a Fit 1? It's absolute hell. I bet its really easy on a Fit 3 though. 

@IPv6Freely Do you have a fit 3? I was recently trying masks in a store and fit 2 was too snug for me. The 960xpm med/lrg fit well though.

Anyone have an idea if med/lrg 960 or 950 is comparable to NME fit 3?

1 hour ago, dstew29 said:

@IPv6Freely Do you have a fit 3? I was recently trying masks in a store and fit 2 was too snug for me. The 960xpm med/lrg fit well though.

I found that that the nme fit 3 leaves a noticeable backplate gap compared to a profiler m/l. But then again I have a big head

On 7/28/2018 at 12:50 PM, dstew29 said:

No I wear a Fit 1. Getting the cage on is a bitch. I end up using a couple really long screws (one on each side of the temple) to get it started, then put the shorter ones in once those are tight, and then I replace each of the long screws with a short one. 

I swear its like they make mask screws just one size too short. 

On 7/28/2018 at 12:50 PM, dstew29 said:

I started off with a fit 3 and when down to a fit 2

i wear a 7 3/8 or 7 1/2 fitted and it’s just too wide. Couldn’t make my cheeks touch the padding correctly 

I probably have more of a “Profile fit” Head, but now have the fit 2 dialed in. It awhile and some trial and error.

really loving my VTX now. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, so I recently got a concussion in my NME 10 (not sure what happened apart from two junior guys coming full speed smashing right into my my head). So naturally I’m looking for something more protective yet still light and comfortable. Any suggestions? 

50 minutes ago, cedy01 said:

Hey guys, so I recently got a concussion in my NME 10 (not sure what happened apart from two junior guys coming full speed smashing right into my my head). So naturally I’m looking for something more protective yet still light and comfortable. Any suggestions? 

Two guys hitting you a full speed can do a lot of damage, sounds like something that could happen with any mask.  Does your mask fit you well?  That would be where I would start.  I'm not that well versed with Bauer equipment, especially their masks, but I don't think the NME10 is a poor quality mask.

14 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Two guys hitting you a full speed can do a lot of damage, sounds like something that could happen with any mask.  Does your mask fit you well?  That would be where I would start.  I'm not that well versed with Bauer equipment, especially their masks, but I don't think the NME10 is a poor quality mask.

@cedy01 - I agree with @SaveByRichter35. I don’t have data to say or prove anything is better or worse than an NME10 at concussion prevention. 

The NME10 is an NHL level mask worn by Holtby and Bishop. Bauer is also down to one mask factory and NHL guys are using Off Shore masks. There are no more Made in Canada pro department 961s. 

My advise... 

Does your mask fit well?

If not... Maybe look at getting a custom padded or custom mask like Protechsport, Pro’s Choice, Masked Marvel ( @Joe Messina ) , or Warwick ETC 

If it fits good and the mask is not is structurally damaged after the hit... you might need to accept it’s the shitty part of the game and make sure to follow your Dr’s order for recovery