The Mask Thread

4 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Two guys hitting you a full speed can do a lot of damage, sounds like something that could happen with any mask.  Does your mask fit you well?  That would be where I would start.  I'm not that well versed with Bauer equipment, especially their masks, but I don't think the NME10 is a poor quality mask.

The mask fits alright for an off the shelf model, and I agree the NME10 is not a poor quality product. That being said, I’ve had my fair share of shots, sticks and bodies hit it and each one has left me dazed and taken a minute to recover. Not sure if that’s a symptom of the mask or more a concussion prone type deal. 

4 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@cedy01 - I agree with @SaveByRichter35. I don’t have data to say or prove anything is better or worse than an NME10 at concussion prevention. 

The NME10 is an NHL level mask worn by Holtby and Bishop. Bauer is also down to one mask factory and NHL guys are using Off Shore masks. There are no more Made in Canada pro department 961s. 

My advise... 

Does your mask fit well?

If not... Maybe look at getting a custom padded or custom mask like Protechsport, Pro’s Choice, Masked Marvel ( @Joe Messina ) , or Warwick ETC 

If it fits good and the mask is not is structurally damaged after the hit... you might need to accept it’s the shitty part of the game and make sure to follow your Dr’s order for recovery 

Yeah like I said above it fits alright considering it’s a stock mask, and I’m down in the dark room for a couple days until symptoms go away. The thing i was thinking could’ve had a significant contribution is being an NME the foams have gone hard in it as they do in most NME masks after a couple years of use. Have you had any experience with the custom mask companies? I was looking into Masked Marvel and JAW masks (run by Jerry Wright) a little while ago but didn’t pull the trigger due in part to the lack of certification needed to be used in Canada, as well as because I hadn’t heard enough about them in order to justify spending the money.

3 minutes ago, cedy01 said:

The mask fits alright for an off the shelf model, and I agree the NME10 is not a poor quality product. That being said, I’ve had my fair share of shots, sticks and bodies hit it and each one has left me dazed and taken a minute to recover. Not sure if that’s a symptom of the mask or more a concussion prone type deal. 

Yeah like I said above it fits alright considering it’s a stock mask, and I’m down in the dark room for a couple days until symptoms go away. The thing i was thinking could’ve had a significant contribution is being an NME the foams have gone hard in it as they do in most NME masks after a couple years of use. Have you had any experience with the custom mask companies? I was looking into Masked Marvel and JAW masks (run by Jerry Wright) a little while ago but didn’t pull the trigger due in part to the lack of certification needed to be used in Canada, as well as because I hadn’t heard enough about them in order to justify spending the money.

Dude if your foam is hard that's the culprit right there.  Send that bitch out for a refurb.  

4 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Dude if your foam is hard that's the culprit right there.  Send that bitch out for a refurb.  

Any suggestions on where to send it? I was trying to find direct replacement liners but bauer doesn’t seem to sell them. 

4 hours ago, cedy01 said:

Any suggestions on where to send it? I was trying to find direct replacement liners but bauer doesn’t seem to sell them. 

Dude - hook up with the Maltese group purchase and do it yourself, unless you have two left arms it's not that hard to do. All you need is a bit of patience I would start by putting your helmet on and checking to see if you have any loose spaces and figure out the thickness of foam required to make sure the mask is snug all over.

If I'm not mistaken Bauer doesn't make their padding available - which is a pitty the foam on their latest 961 looks amazing. 

Good luck with this issue !

15 hours ago, Big2 said:

Dude - hook up with the Maltese group purchase and do it yourself, unless you have two left arms it's not that hard to do. All you need is a bit of patience I would start by putting your helmet on and checking to see if you have any loose spaces and figure out the thickness of foam required to make sure the mask is snug all over.

If I'm not mistaken Bauer doesn't make their padding available - which is a pitty the foam on their latest 961 looks amazing. 

Ahhhhhh I didn't even think of that.  Good call!

On 8/11/2018 at 9:18 PM, Big2 said:

Changing/altering a factory install of padding in a mask or helmet voids HECC warranty.

Not sure if it's been mentioned here yet but, I just got wind this morning on the GGSU Facebook page that WALL USA and WALL Finland are in a drama dispute or feud or disbandment or whatever. Not being sure if the info is real or faked, has anyone else heard any of this?

2 hours ago, RichMan said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned here yet but, I just got wind this morning on the GGSU Facebook page that WALL USA and WALL Finland are in a drama dispute or feud or disbandment or whatever. Not being sure if the info is real or faked, has anyone else heard any of this?

It sounds like it has been going on since 2017, allegations of poor quality coming from Wall Finland by Wall USA, allegations of 3rd party units sold by Wall USA by Wall Finland. Some W8s may have been made by a US based mask maker.  

I have a second-hand Wall W8 that was made in late 2014.

Grab some popcorn, it is going to be interesting...

Edited by MangoRhinehart

Just received my refurb Promasque Classique back from Matty Garland at Promasque and couldn’t be happier. Basically stripped the shell of everything, repainted white, added white powder coated cat eye, new internals and hardware. Great execution and should work out well for a while! Also added a dangler which I’ve never used in past. Here’s a before and after look:

3F089219-7F4A-453B-8659-53F553E62275.jpeg

F98BB047-22F1-4D9B-8C0F-6B6FA51DBA92.jpeg

A97283BA-7E13-457C-A6E6-6754B9549FF5.jpeg

A2E1EAD4-EEEE-43B7-99C0-A5F21F0AEA1F.jpeg

1FFA30A0-9246-4805-8684-92CCE4A835C4.jpeg

ECD74F0E-BC9A-4502-A0D2-17703953F775.jpeg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

That’s truely awesome! 

Do they still use the air bladder?

Thanks! Can’t wait to try it out!

Yes, they still do and I have one in there. If I’m not loving it I’ll have to figure something out - maybe get a thicker sweatband or add some foam.

55 minutes ago, dstew29 said:

Thanks! Can’t wait to try it out!

Yes, they still do and I have one in there. If I’m not loving it I’ll have to figure something out - maybe get a thicker sweatband or add some foam.

Been forever since I’ve seen one up close 

how’s the weight?

16 hours ago, RichMan said:
  • I need to know from the brotherhood over seas - is Reidic Masks officially dead? No website, facebook page outdated and Airexsess has no more replacement parts on their site ?

I'd be interested to know this too. @RichMan I still have your black Reidic shell in my shop and I should really refurb it one of these days. If no cages exist I will probably just find the best fit from the cages I have and redrill where I need to. An oem cage would be nice though. 

14 hours ago, TitanG said:

Looks like Wall has some new padding. Is it Poron?

Not sure if the actual material, but they’ve had their fit kits for a while now and it’s the small yellow pieces you can see added to what I’m sure your question is actually about... the main padding. 

I had planned on using a Maltese kit to refurb an old mask but might just use it in my Wall instead when I realized the padding is like 4 years old now.

As for Wallmasks.fi vs. WallUSA... something alway seemed weird to me about the latter. My mask, and any replacement parts I’ve ever bought have been directly from Wall Finland. Cost more of course, but I’m at least I’m not left questioning the quality of my stuff. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Joe Messina said:

Another amazing Masked Marvel Goalie Helmet (Assassin Model) painted by Byronic Art in California for goaltender Jack Kraus at The United States Military Academy (West Point - Army) in New York. Amazing detail, design and cage color incorporation.

Learn more about Masked Marvels at www.maskedmarvelhelmets.com

image.thumb.png.dc56a85981aae5469398106a8fabf054.png

image.thumb.png.1fd86d714392543bdb8b73e35dac26d2.png

Gorgeous !

• 2 weeks later...