Defunct Gear Brands

TheGoalNet

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/3/2017 at 10:32 AM, Doobiesnax said:

I guess it was still pretty early in the stage of real fibre glass masks being available to minor hockey players when these were introduced.... even then though, anything made of plastic was a red flag.  

Yet football helmets are made of plastic. Yes concussions are a major issue in football, but the plastic helmet does it's job protecting the skull from fractures and the like.

The rapid deceleration of a football hit is another thing.

But as a head, face and skull protector against fractures and the like goalies could suffer - a correctly designed plastic helmet is sufficient. Like the Jofa Goalie helmet model.

37 minutes ago, MTH said:

Yet football helmets are made of plastic. Yes concussions are a major issue in football, but the plastic helmet does it's job protecting the skull from fractures and the like.

The rapid deceleration of a football hit is another thing.

But as a head, face and skull protector against fractures and the like goalies could suffer - a correctly designed plastic helmet is sufficient. Like the Jofa Goalie helmet model.

Agreed.... I didnt actually say the opinion was based in fact lol.  It is and was more of a perception thing in regards to masks i guess.  The main point is it looked like an abomination from an aesthetic perspective imo.  

tumblr_mcb4y4PPVe1rt8i4vo2_500.gif.bc02c58a446c3a7c9b4996f8c9438316.gif

Great idea for a thread....I bought these some time in the mids 80s and had them parked in the basement after I got what was then the latest and greatest goalie Tacks which I still use to this day. A few weeks ago I got the Tacks out for their annual sharpening and saw these poking out of the bag containing my really old stuff so I got these bad boys sharpened as well. I had forgotten all about them. So with a nice fresh edge, I've worn them the past two skates. Besides the missing eyelets and replacing a few busted rivets, they are still very serviceable.

59d5505a43241_IMG_0287(1).thumb.JPG.233b9d6d3abcbc2e216f46c01db1d2c6.JPG

On 10/3/2017 at 10:41 AM, TheGoalNet said:

While we are on it... Badger 

My first mask with the Elite. It's the red one below, but I had a certified cage. Only had to use that CCM for 1 season

vintage-goalie-mask-badger-elite_1_ae9a026468223d9531baa5a4359c9d49 (1).jpg

vintage-goalie-mask-badger-elite_1_ae9a026468223d9531baa5a4359c9d49.jpg

I believe the rigid backplate and hinged chin was done as a workaround for CSA (or maybe HECC) rules that required airways to be accessible if a player was on their back. Pretty sure everything that came after this had a non-fixed backplate. Thank god

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Make sense. Itech made the same jump around the same time. They were probably fierce competitors at one point 

I remember seeing their equipment in the shops when I was younger and even though I loved my Eddy mask I never felt the pull to the pads or gloves.  

Archived