Passau C/A Opinions

coopaloop1234

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Protection is great. I don't have the pro pack (I also don't need it) but still have zero complaints. I used to feel shots with my old C/A (Bauer Reactor 4000) but barely feel them at all in the Passau. Mobility was a bit rough at first, as it generally is with any C/A but it has broken in nicely. No complaints there also. For sightlines, I had issues at first with my mask interfering with the floaters, but after a bit of adjustment it was just fine. 

I don't know about similar, but I don't think I'd buy anything else at this point. I hear Brown makes an absolute tank but that they are really hot and a bit bulky.

I have absolutely no desire at all what so ever to move to something else. 

Hi and thank you for your interest in our chest protectors.  One very important note is that our chest protectors are EXTREMELY customized to the individual clients.  That's why people cannot say that our chest protectors resemble X or Y brand. That said, we only make pro-level equipment (think of the most top end stuff you can purchase retail) and go up to professional NHL level protection that has literally stood up to Shea Weber's slapshot.  If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me directly.

- Tim

Tim.McCarthy@PassauHockey.com

On 9/27/2017 at 4:11 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Hey Guys,

Starting to hum and haw about getting a new C/A. Been using a LT90 since release (untucked, suspenders under C/A).

Just looking to see what the opinion of current and past users is in regards to these units.

- Protection
- Mobility
- Sightlines
- Current C/A's it's similar to
- Etc.

Thanks

Brians SZ3 no questions asked - got my son a custom unit recently and the service/quality is way above anything out there. I was able to get it in 6 weeks as well, there's a picture somewhere on the site .

like the Vaughn this thing is huge slightly bigger at the top than the SZ2 due to some minor changes to the shoulder floaters - I hezitated between the Vaughn SLR Pro Carbon and the Brians but  at the end of the day my son wanted to stay with Brians.

Went to see my son play a pre season game today and I would say that his mobility has certainly not been hampered he has had the unit for 3 weeks and he has already played 2 pre season games without any hesitation.

light

mobile

very good protection

very good quality

if you want to go custom PM I will hook you up with the store I dealt with for his custom Brians gear this summer! This unit should be on your top shelf as well as the Vaughn SLR Pro Carbon (non custom - 16 week lead times)

On 9/27/2017 at 9:55 PM, Big2 said:

Brians SZ3 no questions asked - got my son a custom unit recently and the service/quality is way above anything out there. I was able to get it in 6 weeks as well, there's a picture somewhere on the site .

like the Vaughn this thing is huge slightly bigger at the top than the SZ2 due to some minor changes to the shoulder floaters - I hezitated between the Vaughn SLR Pro Carbon and the Brians but  at the end of the day my son wanted to stay with Brians.

Went to see my son play a pre season game today and I would say that his mobility has certainly not been hampered he has had the unit for 3 weeks and he has already played 2 pre season games without any hesitation.

light

mobile

very good protection

very good quality

if you want to go custom PM I will hook you up with the store I dealt with for his custom Brians gear this summer! This unit should be on your top shelf as well as the Vaughn SLR Pro Carbon (non custom - 16 week lead times)

I think he was asking for opinions on the Passau chest protectors. 

1 hour ago, Big2 said:

Ooop have you ever tried a Passau?

If you liked the LT 98 you should also consider the SLR Pro Carbon?

Never have, no. I've never even seen one in person. Just from forums like this.

The SLR is my other option. I do like it, despite it being only a small change from the LT90 but they did address the one thing I found lacking in the LT90 and that's the length. I'm also not opposed to the XF Pro Carbon either. The LT/SLR line definitely seems more appropriate for tucking, which I don't do

Two of my friends use passau c/a pro pack and both of them say it is best chest protector they ever have. I was very impressed when i saw this c/a in person. If I can go custom in future, will have passau too ( now in stock nxg).

Coop

Find out what is the weight of the Passau pro pac - I believe it is on the heavy side and would also question the mobility of this unit especially vs the Vaughn XF Pro carbon!  If you go with the Vaughn XF Pro carbon get the beefed up unit let me know if you need help on where to find it, I came close to getting this unit for my son TGN can provide this off the top of his head!!

Finally never buy anything if you cant try it/touch it/seen it - my 2 cents!

31 minutes ago, Big2 said:

Coop

Find out what is the weight of the Passau pro pac - I believe it is on the heavy side and would also question the mobility of this unit especially vs the Vaughn XF Pro carbon!  If you go with the Vaughn XF Pro carbon get the beefed up unit let me know if you need help on where to find it, I came close to getting this unit for my son TGN can provide this off the top of his head!!

Finally never buy anything if you cant try it/touch it/seen it - my 2 cents!

Nonsense, considering some of the best gear on the market is online-only (Passau, and VH). 

Thanks Big2.

I live near one of the best gear shops, The Hockey Shop in Surrey. So I've always been able to physically touch just about every new piece of gear that comes out to retail. Unfortunately, The Hockey Shop caught on fire on Sept 23rd, so they're closed for at least 2 months.

It's also why I made this thread. Passau is one of the few brands I can't get my greasy mitts on. They seem very similar to the V4/V5 lines of Vaughn units, aesthetically anyways so they caught my interest.

Is the beef up kit necessary? My arms for my LT90 have been fine. Better than my V5 7800 was. I figured by now they would have eliminated all if not most of the protection issues in their C/A's.

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Thanks Big2.

I live near one of the best gear shops, The Hockey Shop in Surrey. So I've always been able to physically touch just about every new piece of gear that comes out to retail. Unfortunately, The Hockey Shop caught on fire on Sept 23rd, so they're closed for at least 2 months.

It's also why I made this thread. Passau is one of the few brands I can't get my greasy mitts on. They seem very similar to the V4/V5 lines of Vaughn units, aesthetically anyways so they caught my interest.

Is the beef up kit necessary? My arms for my LT90 have been fine. Better than my V5 7800 was. I figured by now they would have eliminated all if not most of the protection issues in their C/A's.

Coop that's the store!

A bit on the expensive side but a very good selection/service but the cost of living is higher in BC than Montreal even for hockey equipment.

I would get the beef up kit on the Vaughn - the pro pac from Passau is their beefed up version of their CA line.

Good luck with your choice!

1 minute ago, Big2 said:

Coop that's the store!

A bit on the expensive side but a very good selection/service but the cost of living is higher in BC than Montreal even for hockey equipment.

I would get the beef up kit on the Vaughn - the pro pac from Passau is their beefed up version of their CA line.

Good luck with your choice!

Well the good news about the fire is that they'll probably going to have a fire sale. :jelly:

On 9/27/2017 at 3:20 PM, GoalieTimmy33 said:

Hi and thank you for your interest in our chest protectors.  One very important note is that our chest protectors are EXTREMELY customized to the individual clients.  That's why people cannot say that our chest protectors resemble X or Y brand. That said, we only make pro-level equipment (think of the most top end stuff you can purchase retail) and go up to professional NHL level protection that has literally stood up to Shea Weber's slapshot.  If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me directly.

- Tim

Tim.McCarthy@PassauHockey.com

Managed to pass this over somehow.

Sent you an email

8 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Well the good news about the fire is that they'll probably going to have a fire sale. :jelly:

Don't expect it for two years at the earliest. Once insurance takes over and claims at the damage equipment it's put out for bid for a company that specialized in selling the damage product and usually they have to clean it all before it can even be sold removing all the contamination from it. It can be a long slow process when the value of the contents pushes the seven or eight figures. 

Had a sports store in North Bay burn down and it was three or four years after the fire that what was saved was sold. When it was sold, it was a company in Toronto that bought most of it and sold it 5 hours away in small town outside the city city of Toronto now where near the location of the original store.

On 9/29/2017 at 6:53 PM, Snowman30 said:

Don't expect it for two years at the earliest. Once insurance takes over and claims at the damage equipment it's put out for bid for a company that specialized in selling the damage product and usually they have to clean it all before it can even be sold removing all the contamination from it. It can be a long slow process when the value of the contents pushes the seven or eight figures. 

Had a sports store in North Bay burn down and it was three or four years after the fire that what was saved was sold. When it was sold, it was a company in Toronto that bought most of it and sold it 5 hours away in small town outside the city city of Toronto now where near the location of the original store

Interesting. Thanks for sharing the process.

• 4 months later...

As I was looking in the Vaughn Gear topic and in particular Cody Porter's new V8 chesty and it reminded me one particular area in which I seem to always have an issue w/ wear (likely due to the use of hook and loop and my smallish wrists.) Anyone else find the airknit material typically used on the cuffs a wear spot as well? If so, has anyone spec'd in other material there instead?

@GoalieTimmy33 I know we're already exchanging notes on a custom unit, just wanted to check w/ the crowd at large as well.

image.png.e218de00240a16b148c432ecb68b4855.png image.thumb.png.b3930a20b404f988997bc637778bbeda.png

Archived