Passau C/A Opinions

coopaloop1234

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On February 6, 2018 at 7:50 AM, BadAngle41 said:

As I was looking in the Vaughn Gear topic and in particular Cody Porter's new V8 chesty and it reminded me one particular area in which I seem to always have an issue w/ wear (likely due to the use of hook and loop and my smallish wrists.) Anyone else find the airknit material typically used on the cuffs a wear spot as well? If so, has anyone spec'd in other material there instead?

@GoalieTimmy33 I know we're already exchanging notes on a custom unit, just wanted to check w/ the crowd at large as well.

image.png.e218de00240a16b148c432ecb68b4855.png image.thumb.png.b3930a20b404f988997bc637778bbeda.png

Thanks for the question.  The air knit is only on the surface.  On the underside (where friction would occur) we put nash.  The backstory here is that we observed that some goalies do not tighten their wrist straps due to discomfort. For that reason, we designed the wrists on our Gen 2 units to have soft interior (thereby encouraging them to be worn tightly) with an air knit cover.

@TheGoalNet - You mentioned why we would do this in an area - the very end (where the hand meets the unit and could be a place of friction) has the nash sewn back which provides a soft, comfortable and wear resistant surface.  With everything we do, there is a well thought out reason.

20 hours ago, GoalieTimmy33 said:

Thanks for the question.  The air knit is only on the surface.  On the underside (where friction would occur) we put nash.  The backstory here is that we observed that some goalies do not tighten their wrist straps due to discomfort. For that reason, we designed the wrists on our Gen 2 units to have soft interior (thereby encouraging them to be worn tightly) with an air knit cover.

@TheGoalNet - You mentioned why we would do this in an area - the very end (where the hand meets the unit and could be a place of friction) has the nash sewn back which provides a soft, comfortable and wear resistant surface.  With everything we do, there is a well thought out reason.

That's great news... thanks for the note @GoalieTimmy33. Anxious to get my super top secret custom unit on order.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got two Passau, a Gen 2 with Maltese in the heartguard area and a Pro Pack.  I'm comfortable with either in terms of protection, but I just like the PP a little better.

I've had Vaughns in the past, including the V6, and the Passau is at least as, if not more so, mobile than the Vaughn.  And it has the added advantage of having arms that actually protect mine.  It's a shame Passau makes their gear so good because I'm unlikely to need a new chesty before I retire from the game.

Unless they come out with a Gen 3 that I absolutely have to have.  ;)

9 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

It's a shame Passau makes their gear so good because I'm unlikely to need a new chesty before I retire from the game.

Unless they come out with a Gen 3 that I absolutely have to have.  ;)

That could be the best compliment any company and their work could receive in my opinion... super excited to get my unit on order. Hopefully will be the last one I ever buy.

4 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

That could be the best compliment any company and their work could receive in my opinion... super excited to get my unit on order. Hopefully will be the last one I ever buy.

Same here. I see new C/A hit the market and I'm like: "meh, I have my Passau."

• 6 months later...

I'm thinking of ordering one of these, any common mods (Maltese heart guard) from the base model that people would suggest? Anything that could address common wear areas? I am confident, though, that their R&D has ironed out most of these.

For reference, I'm new to ice goaltending so I don't think I really need much in the way of extra protection.

• 2 months later...
On 10/2/2018 at 4:56 PM, TitanG said:

I'm thinking of ordering one of these, any common mods (Maltese heart guard) from the base model that people would suggest? Anything that could address common wear areas? I am confident, though, that their R&D has ironed out most of these.

For reference, I'm new to ice goaltending so I don't think I really need much in the way of extra protection.

The only wear areas I've seen are on the cuffs a bit (just from friction pulling the straps tight) and the collar graphic is wearing off (I assume from my mask rubbing). Nothing even remotely bad enough to even consider buying a new one. I've had mine for... 4 years? I think. 

If you're at a low level I'd just go stock (unless you want custom colors). I didn't bother with the pro pack because I don't think I need it. If you're at a higher level you may want it though. 

I didn't get the maltese heart guard but next time I might. Not for protection so much as just deadening rebounds. 

1 minute ago, IPv6Freely said:

The only wear areas I've seen are on the cuffs a bit (just from friction pulling the straps tight) and the collar graphic is wearing off (I assume from my mask rubbing). Nothing even remotely bad enough to even consider buying a new one. I've had mine for... 4 years? I think. 

If you're at a low level I'd just go stock (unless you want custom colors). I didn't bother with the pro pack because I don't think I need it. If you're at a higher level you may want it though. 

I didn't get the maltese heart guard but next time I might. Not for protection so much as just deadening rebounds. 

Thanks for the info. I decided to order the stock unit with Maltese heart guard (though it would now be ECOProFoam) for deadening rebounds as you said.

• 5 months later...
5 minutes ago, motowngoalie said:

Question on Passau C/A's: What are the standard units (no pro pack) comparable to protection-wise? Is it a pro unit, or more of a beefed-up senior level C/A? 

I would say on par with our "Pro" level units (CCM, Vaughn).  The Pro Pack is a beefed up tank on the Brown side.  I had a Pro Pack for awhile and the beef and weight is noticeable.  It still had excellent mobility but just wasn't for me

2 hours ago, cwarnar said:

I would say on par with our "Pro" level units (CCM, Vaughn).  The Pro Pack is a beefed up tank on the Brown side.  I had a Pro Pack for awhile and the beef and weight is noticeable.  It still had excellent mobility but just wasn't for me

Thanks, this helps a lot! I'm looking at the R/GT2 senior, and it's pretty beefy for a Sr C/A. But for around $50 more (with the exchange) I could order a Passau. Definitely some things to consider... 

Just now, motowngoalie said:

Thanks, this helps a lot! I'm looking at the R/GT2 senior, and it's pretty beefy for a Sr C/A. But for around $50 more (with the exchange) I could order a Passau. Definitely some things to consider... 

I'm in the GT Pro right now.  Long time Vaughn user... The GT Pro has solid mobility with better protection.  I really want to try the GT2 Pro as well

6 hours ago, motowngoalie said:

Question on Passau C/A's: What are the standard units (no pro pack) comparable to protection-wise? Is it a pro unit, or more of a beefed-up senior level C/A? 

I just got my new Passau chestie, without the pro-pack (coming from a Vaughn V3 7500). I'll be playing a tournament in it on the weekend, so I can give you a quick rundown afterwards if you'd like.

First impressions though? An absolute tank, and no slouch in the mobility department either; only breaking in I've done was throwing it into a steam shower for 10ish minutes, and it feels ready to play in. Really wish I'd had this before I played a team of Junior A players last weekend.

12 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

I just got my new Passau chestie, without the pro-pack (coming from a Vaughn V3 7500). I'll be playing a tournament in it on the weekend, so I can give you a quick rundown afterwards if you'd like.

First impressions though? An absolute tank, and no slouch in the mobility department either; only breaking in I've done was throwing it into a steam shower for 10ish minutes, and it feels ready to play in. Really wish I'd had this before I played a team of Junior A players last weekend.

Thank you, that would be awesome!

On 6/6/2019 at 5:15 AM, motowngoalie said:

Thank you, that would be awesome!

OK, one-day tourney (3-on-3, 25 minute run-time) is done.

So, I got a Passau Gen 2 chestie, with side protection (no additional cost) and without the pro-pack. Biggest difference between it and the Vaughn V3 7500 I was wearing are the arms; the Passau elbow cups have some additional protection that runs down towards my wrist along the back of my forearm, and they generally have more padding on the front of the forearm, elbow block, and bicep. I can't see the additional protection on the back of the forearm making much of a difference, given how I play, but I suppose if you hold your glove in a fingers-up position you might appreciate that.

I don't tuck or tie into my pants, no suspenders, strap fairly tight around the bottom of my ribs and through my arms, and leave it fairly loose around my shoulders and chest. I play a fairly active, athletic game (sometimes I feel like I spend more time outside my crease than in), so equipment comfort while I'm moving around is super important to me.

Comfort

During the first skate I realized pretty quickly that I would need to loosen the strapping along my shoulders, which took me all of ten seconds once I was off the ice. Super easy to make adjustments, if we had been playing with periods I could've done it at the bench. It felt pretty stiff and chunky at first compared to what I'm used to but, given that the only chest protector I've ever worn is a very well broken in V3 7500, I was expecting that. I threw it into a low-tumble low-heat wash and dry cycle once I got home, to see if that would help the break-in process along.

It did. The wash-and-dry cycle I put the chestie through worked wonders. It felt great during my second and third skates, and I have absolutely nothing to complain about. I've never had to break-in a chest protector before but ninety minutes of ice-time plus a run through the laundry strikes me as being pretty damn good.

The side-protection is the biggest difference for me. It makes the chest protector noticeably wider right around where my elbows meet my torso. I'm used to tucking my elbow fairly close to my body, because I was having issues with pucks squeaking under my arms, so I'll probably need a few more skates before I'm used to keeping my elbows a little farther away from my body. But that's a "me" thing, and not a problem with the chest protector.

Weight of the unit was good, lighter than my V3 7500 even though it's a size bigger (XL vs L), though I'm not sure how it stacks up against more modern chesties. Didn't feel like it was slowing me down at all, and I can't ask for more than that.

Didn't have any problems with heat which has been something of an issue for me in the past, both in net and skating out. It's mostly a dehydration thing, but a chest protector that doesn't breathe will make you sweat like a pig in July. Anyways, no issues here.

Also, it dried much more quickly than my V3 7500, which is nice. I'm not particularly fond of putting a wet chestie on.

Protection

First skate, I was facing some pretty good shooters. Took a couple shots in the arms that probably would have bruised in my V3 7500, but with the Passau I barely felt a sting. (Vaughn is kind've known for less protective arms, yeah, but it's good know that the standard Passau arms can take a shot from Junior A players without any trouble). Took more than a few shots up high, around the collarbone and shoulder area, and didn't feel a single one. I have absolutely nothing to complain about here, and feel totally confident in this unit.

Play

Pop was almost nonexistent, much less than I experience with my V3 7500. Pucks that caught me high on the chest were dropping right into my feet and hands (or, if they caught the top of my shoulder, flying into the netting), which was great. I was expecting the opposite, given how much stiffer the shoulder floaters felt, but I'm very happy to have my expectations thrown out the window like this.

Shoulder floaters are also much tighter to my body than with the V3 7500, and the strapping options let you pull the top of the floater away from your neck to reduce contact with your mask, which made tracking the puck behind the net much easier. I really appreciate this, as that's been a long-standing annoyance I had with my old chestie.

Like I said before the side-protection is forcing me to adjust the position of my elbows, but I've already had a handful of shots die right there at the crook of my elbow, so I think once I'm through the adjustment period I'll appreciate the extra bit of bulk and protection. It's nice not feeling like every puck that goes near your arm has a chance of slipping through.

Final Thoughts

I would absolutely recommend this unit to anyone looking for something protective and mobile, but who doesn't want to spend +$700 CAD on a Vaughn, Brown, or Brians. Only question left for me is how the unit will hold up going forward, but I haven't read anything to suggest that Passau chesties have problems with longevity so I'm not concerned. Top marks all around.

• 4 months later...

We have done a NHL spec version for a pro but we are still waiting for the approval. No gen 3 is planned for the moment, we work on other products, like the ball hockey equipment we will be release at the end of november.

Archived