Aftermarket Steel

TheGoalNet

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Post all things about swapping out Steel here... 

great look at Vertexx Edge options via Pro Skate Goal 

It's about time, if I am not mistaken this was supposed to come out about 6 months ago maybe ++

TGN the regular blades are 33 % taller than the Bauer blades do you know if this applies to this skate model/holder?

11 hours ago, Big2 said:

It's about time, if I am not mistaken this was supposed to come out about 6 months ago maybe ++

TGN the regular blades are 33 % taller than the Bauer blades do you know if this applies to this skate model/holder?

Not 100% sure I'm following? The holder would remain the same in this case and then the height of the steel changes spending on which unit it is 

Bauer has new steel coming. I believe it's called LS5G+

Disregard my comments above Std step steel is about 13% taller

extreme steel over 50% taller 

these numbers will vary by skate mfg

regarding the cowlingless Bauer skates I do not see anything on their web site but these are obviously taller than the std Bauer blades 

if I am not mistaken the other option Tydan - they seem to be slightly taller than the std step steel blades

Happy to hear something is coming out that might be an upgrade from the stock steel... would still like to see a DLC on it though. Edges are super fragile. I know Tydan makes something but saw some guys say the additional width (microns as they may be) have been a source of fitment issues. Just ask Curtis McElhinney...

Bad Angel I was actually watching this game and saw this incident - regardless of the blade mfg. can you believe that the blade popped off so easily??

So are you confirming that these are Tydan blades - obviously not stock the have the player name and # etched on the side of the blade? I too had read about their blades being slightly wider than the announced width I hope they are working to get this resolved??

Would be nice to have some users to chime in !

5 hours ago, Big2 said:

Bad Angel I was actually watching this game and saw this incident - regardless of the blade mfg. can you believe that the blade popped off so easily??

So are you confirming that these are Tydan blades - obviously not stock the have the player name and # etched on the side of the blade? I too had read about their blades being slightly wider than the announced width I hope they are working to get this resolved??

If it hit right on the trigger I could see it. It was definitely a skate save!

6 hours ago, Big2 said:

Tyden confirmed on IG. It was their blade. From their standpoint, no product issue. They feel anyone's steel would have popped out under that circumstance 

17 hours ago, Big2 said:

The steel width may be what gets them around the Bauer patent in the US, as these are the only aftermarket blades for that holder that can be sold in the US.  

On 9/29/2017 at 5:08 PM, Big2 said:

I was one of the first people to order Tydan's last year, and it did take a "kick" or two to get the blade into the holder from the extra teeny bit of width. Never had any pop out issues - playing 2-5x a week the last year. 

As for someone else asking for height - they were 1/4" higher than stock steel. Etching is optional but reasonable ($10 upcharge at that time). 

6 hours ago, Kayen said:

I was one of the first people to order Tydan's last year, and it did take a "kick" or two to get the blade into the holder from the extra teeny bit of width. Never had any pop out issues - playing 2-5x a week the last year. 

As for someone else asking for height - they were 1/4" higher than stock steel. Etching is optional but reasonable ($10 upcharge at that time). 

Having to kick it in is the problem... The extra width doesn't fit in the holder and trigger properly and is causing blades to pop out and causing broken trigger systems.

1 hour ago, Hills said:

Having to kick it in is the problem... The extra width doesn't fit in the holder and trigger properly and is causing blades to pop out and causing broken trigger systems.

This is the info I have been waiting for. I will be waiting until the Bauer product comes to market. I get its 1mm, but if it's not made to fit, it's not made to fit 

Is the new Step product 3mm or 4?

13 hours ago, Hills said:

Might have been an issue for others, it wasn't an extremely hard kick - but it doesn't simply slide in and out like the stock steel does. 
Though at this point my Tydan's come in and out easily when the trigger is disengaged (and the pry tool is applied). 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

Tydan just told me their goal runners are 3mm, so we'll see what shows up. If it's 4mm I'll send it back. Stay tuned

It'll be 3mm. I'm on the fence about getting some myself. I have a pair of S190s that i bought LS3G steels for in addition to the stock LS2G. Not happy with either steels. We'll see how good the next Bauer steels are I guess... but likely I'll go Tyden next go round. DLC is really the only way to even try and keep an edge w/ 3mm.

20 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

It'll be 3mm. I'm on the fence about getting some myself. I have a pair of S190s that i bought LS3G steels for in addition to the stock LS2G. Not happy with either steels. We'll see how good the next Bauer steels are I guess... but likely I'll go Tyden next go round. DLC is really the only way to even try and keep an edge w/ 3mm.

Theres a discount code for new customers to get 5% off your order: NEW5

I'm mentioning it here because the only place I found it was in the Google ad promoted links when I searched tydan blades, no real mention of it on the site that I could see. Not much, but it's something. 

13 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

Theres a discount code for new customers to get 5% off your order: NEW5

I'm mentioning it here because the only place I found it was in the Google ad promoted links when I searched tydan blades, no real mention of it on the site that I could see. Not much, but it's something. 

Gracias! My wife appreciates the use of discount/coupon codes. I'm super weird about coupons, never will use them in a store, but all about it online. Maybe it's the anonymity, or maybe I'm just weird.

Archived