Aftermarket Steel

TheGoalNet

7 minutes ago, beansbats said:

I have had zero problems with my Tydan steel in my Bauer 1S holder.  After reading this thread I compared the Tydan to the LS3 width.  They are the same.

-steve

Thanks, that makes me feel more comfortable. I figured they wouldn't actually have gone to market with 4mm blades for a 3mm holder, at least not for long. 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, beansbats said:

I have had zero problems with my Tydan steel in my Bauer 1S holder.  After reading this thread I compared the Tydan to the LS3 width.  They are the same.

-steve

The difference is in millimeters, as in like 3mm to 3.1mm. Do you have an acurate way of measuring that?

2 hours ago, Hills said:

The difference is in millimeters, as in like 3mm to 3.1mm. Do you have an acurate way of measuring that?

More like tenths of a mm.

That difference could be how Tydan is getting away with going around the Bauer patent in the US. Yes- we are talking tenths of a millimetre here, but that can be *just* enough to get around a patent. Believe me when I say this: depending on the judge, 0.2 mm is enough to say it is not a direct copy. 

6 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

More like tenths of a mm.

That difference could be how Tydan is getting away with going around the Bauer patent in the US. Yes- we are talking tenths of a millimetre here, but that can be *just* enough to get around a patent. Believe me when I say this: depending on the judge, 0.2 mm is enough to say it is not a direct copy. 

I'm good with it skirting the patent, as long as it doesn't break my holder :P

Also I'm like a couple hours from their office, so they're already in the mail, go Canada! 

2 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

I'm good with it skirting the patent, as long as it doesn't break my holder :P

Also I'm like a couple hours from their office, so they're already in the mail, go Canada! 

I hear you there!

I am in the process of becoming a Step dealer, but it bums me out that I can’t carry the Bauer trigger blade from Step; maybe Tydan will let me sell their blades...

15 hours ago, Hills said:

I could put a micrometer on the steel, but I don't want to jinx the fact that they have been working great for 30 games (If there is any variation found).  I had absolutely no problem putting the Tydan in the 1S holder.  They are certainly not a 4mm width.

-steve

So after a weekend detour up into cottage country, the blades came in on Monday. Opened them up to see they sent the standard stainless steel blades. Got that straightened out though, and can confirm the difference between them and the LS3G (if any) is not noticeable and doesn't affect installation.

Gonna skate with them on Sunday to get used to the height, rather than in my league game tomorrow

20171025_195111.jpg

It was a surprisingly smooth transition. I was expecting some initial wobbles and awkward shuffles/butterflies, but I'm pretty confident taking them into my league game after the first skate. 

Can't comment on Tydan vs Step, my decision was mostly based on accessibility. But in general, so far harder + taller = more gooder

On 10/31/2017 at 11:20 AM, Mroy31 said:

It was a surprisingly smooth transition. I was expecting some initial wobbles and awkward shuffles/butterflies, but I'm pretty confident taking them into my league game after the first skate. 

Can't comment on Tydan vs Step, my decision was mostly based on accessibility. But in general, so far harder + taller = more gooder

Good to hear the Tydans were pretty spot on out of the box. After getting both sets of steel sharpened recently and realizing how short they have become so quickly, Tydans have been ordered. Did't go the custom etching route yet. Wanted to make sure I liked them before I go to the added expense. 

12 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

@Mroy31 I think my steels are taking the same mail routing as yours... perhaps through Bangladesh. (Probably not that bad, but being anxious makes it feel that way.) 

Haha, I hear ya. The other thing I didn't mention about my shipping ordeal was that Canada post messed up on the return to sender when I sent the stainless steel ones back. So when the right blades showed up, so did the wrong ones again. Second time was a charm though :P

Canada post seems to be having a rough go of it lately 

10 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

Haha, I hear ya. The other thing I didn't mention about my shipping ordeal was that Canada post messed up on the return to sender when I sent the stainless steel ones back. So when the right blades showed up, so did the wrong ones again. Second time was a charm though :P

Canada post seems to be having a rough go of it lately 

@Mroy31 complain and ye shall receive!!! They arrived yesterday evening!! Probably no need to post pictures as they'd be the same as yours, but I'm very anxious to get on the ice. The difference in height is one thing that will likely take a few minutes to get comfortable with, but I'm more interested in the DLC and see how it (along with what I am led to believe is a higher quality steel) holds up. I'd like to compare weight, and could probably do so based on the amount of steel left on both my LS3G and LS2G steels to make a somewhat uniform measure. Tydan is likely heavier, in part to the steel make up, in part the DLC (even though it's microns.) I don't skate again until Thursday (backed out of this evening's skate... wishing I didn't now) so maybe I'll get them on a scale.

@TheGoalNet... any thoughts if members would like to know about weights between steels? 

On 11/17/2017 at 6:16 PM, Mroy31 said:

23mm

Yup, pretty similar 

Anyone have any issues going to the tall steel on the first skate? 

Have some. Itching to use it. Was planning to do a pickup tomorrow and just got a last minute heads up we have a game tomorrow now... on the fence about using them 

I had the same reservations about starting out in a league game, so I saved them for pickup.  I won't say it was nothing, but it wasn't like I had to re-learn how to skate or move.  It was more like, "oh, I can get a bit of a wider stance" or "I've got more bite there than I expected."

Maybe depends on which team you're playing.  If it's the bottom of the league and you've got some leeway, give it a shot.  If it's a battle for top spot, maybe wait until pickup just in case :P 

Off I go to try out my new Vaughn pants

Archived