Aftermarket Steel

TheGoalNet

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/1/2018 at 8:27 PM, TheGoalNet said:

If I ever get some VH wheels, this is basically what I picture my setup looking like... but white waxed laces :giggity:

nice set up @Chenner29 - Let me know your IG account? 

I missed this.  IG account is same name as my forum tag here.

Quick update, had a half dozen skates with Tydan steel on.  Very impressed with how grabby they feel.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jeff da goalie said:

I just got Tydan steel but am having trouble getting them into the Vertexx Edge holder.  Any suggestions?  

The only trouble I had with mine was getting the Vertexx trigger to slide back into place, I'm assuming that's the trouble you're having?  It probably looks like it's in place, but the trigger just hasn't reset?  (ie. the steel isn't too wide for the holder, I didn't have any issues with that, and I got the coated DLC blades)

I just used my leather sham rag to lean into pushing the blade into place, holding the skate boot with my knees.  I didn't need to use a mallet or anything like I've read other places, or like  you might see on some nhl highlights.  I just kind of worked it into position and the trigger eventually worked it's way back into place.

Just now, Mroy31 said:

The only trouble I had with mine was getting the Vertexx trigger to slide back into place, I'm assuming that's the trouble you're having?  It probably looks like it's in place, but the trigger just hasn't reset?  (ie. the steel isn't too wide for the holder, I didn't have any issues with that, and I got the coated DLC blades)

I just used my leather sham rag to lean into pushing the blade into place, holding the skate boot with my knees.  I didn't need to use a mallet or anything like I've read other places, or like  you might see on some nhl highlights.  I just kind of worked it into position and the trigger eventually worked it's way back into place.

I've been having trouble even seating the blade.  But I think it seems like I just need to use a little more force.  

56 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

I just got Tydan steel but am having trouble getting them into the Vertexx Edge holder.  Any suggestions?  

Get a bigger hammer... 

Really should just take a little extra push. Not sure if you have DLC or not... but I didn't really notice too much trouble.

Getting ready to place an order with Tydan.  The factory steel on my 1S's is so rounded off at the ends I couldn't wait any longer for the LS5G to show up.  Hopefully I'm as happy with Tydan as I was with Step on my last set of skates.  

Has anyone tried the new TiN blades they're offering?  I've talked to them about them, and they're saying it's a midpoint between DLC and uncoated steel, both in edge retention and price.  I'm wondering if it avoids the added thickness that comes with the DLC blades.

Second question, Goalie Sam sounds closest to the 20'/28' combo radius I had Noicing sports put on my Step Steel back in the day.  Does anybody have any feedback on this radius?

1 hour ago, Puckstopper said:

Has anyone tried the new TiN blades they're offering?  I've talked to them about them, and they're saying it's a midpoint between DLC and uncoated steel, both in edge retention and price.  I'm wondering if it avoids the added thickness that comes with the DLC blades.

I don't have experience with the TiN blades.  I use the DLC blades and I wouldn't worry about "added thickness" with the blades.  Like @BadAngle41 and @jeff da goalie above, it might take a bit of extra force to get it to lock in, but I'm fairly convinced that's not a width issue.  I'd describe it more as a "ever so slightly different to avoid potential patent infringement on the Bauer steel" issue.

Maybe I am wrong, but they slide into the holder just fine, it's that last little bit to get it to lock into place.

With the DLC's, I notice that I will still get the odd knick in the blade, but if I run my finger along the blade I almost don't even notice it, and it definitely doesn't affect my pushes or shuffles or anything.  I still sharpen them way less often than I did with the stock steel.

14 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

I don't have experience with the TiN blades.  I use the DLC blades and I wouldn't worry about "added thickness" with the blades.  Like @BadAngle41 and @jeff da goalie above, it might take a bit of extra force to get it to lock in, but I'm fairly convinced that's not a width issue.  I'd describe it more as a "ever so slightly different to avoid potential patent infringement on the Bauer steel" issue.

Maybe I am wrong, but they slide into the holder just fine, it's that last little bit to get it to lock into place.

With the DLC's, I notice that I will still get the odd knick in the blade, but if I run my finger along the blade I almost don't even notice it, and it definitely doesn't affect my pushes or shuffles or anything.  I still sharpen them way less often than I did with the stock steel.

Agreed @Mroy31... we're talking microns of thickness on the DLC coating so nothing that would prevent the steel from fitting properly in the holder.

17 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

Good to hear.  I absolutely cannot find a good sharpening in Columbus Ohio, so anything that would extend the life of my blades after I make a run up to Detroit would be welcome!  

2 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

Good to hear.  I absolutely cannot find a good sharpening in Columbus Ohio, so anything that would extend the life of my blades after I make a run up to Detroit would be welcome!  

You ever consider a Sparx?

Love mine AND I make a little extra cash sharpening other peoples’ skates.

Oh trust me, I've read that thread front to back several times, and it's on my list of things I'd like to buy when my next bonus check shows up.  Unfortunately that list is long and has several other expensive interests beyond goaltending on it, so I'm not sure which new toy will win out.  A rink near my parents house in Toledo has two Sparx machines, so I'm going to take my skates there once the new Tydan's show up and see what the bottom of the steel looks like when they're done.  At least I can make a more informed decision that way.

Oh trust me, I've read that thread front to back several times, and it's on my list of things I'd like to buy when my next bonus check shows up.  Unfortunately that list is long and has several other expensive interests beyond goaltending on it, so I'm not sure which new toy will win out.  A rink near my parents house in Toledo has two Sparx machines, so I'm going to take my skates there once the new Tydan's show up and see what the bottom of the steel looks like when they're done.  At least I can make a more informed decision that way.

Have you thought about buying a second set of steel and shipping them out to a place that knows what they're doing?  Play with one and send the other out to be sharpened.  Depending on how long you go between sharpenings the turnaround time should be plenty to not have to worry about being stuck with dull steel.  I'd recommend No Icing Sports in New Hampshire.  I have no personal experience with them but I know a few people that use them and I have read countless positive comments about them dating back to the GSBB.  If I didn't have my sharpener I would definitely be sending them my steel.

I did that with my last pair of skates.  I've got NOTHING but good things to say about the crew at NoIcing, and can't recommend them highly enough.   If the first set  of Tydan blades (ordered today btw) works out well that's also in consideration.   

The lack of quality sharpening options is fairly recent.  We had Players Bench/Total Hockey for a couple years, and they really did a nice smooth finishing pass.  Now that they've left the Columbus market I've been willing to detour by their store in Detroit when running up to my parents house in Toledo or visiting their cottage in mid-Michigan to use up my last handful of  free sharpenings.   It's just during the winter, when road trips aren't easy that I really feel the pinch.  

I really think Sparx is the best option for me.  I love to tinker with gear and the idea of really being able to dial in my sharpenings (without being able to bone it up too bad) is quite appealing.   In a perfect world I'd get a teammate or two to split it with me and help defray the cost.  Since I have the option to try before I buy I'm going to do that and then do the math on cost of extra steel, shipping, etc vs cost of the machine (and convenience) and then proceed to talk myself into buying one.  I just have to wrap my head around dropping a over a grand on something that doesn't say "Optik 35+2" (current dream setup) on the side.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:
Very impressed with the Tydan steel so far.
I was on the Bauer 3G while getting a 3/8" cut and would have to sharpen them every 3 sessions or so.  I'd sometimes need to go get them retouched every two, depending on how much edgework/post play I was engaging in.
I'm on 5 games on the Tydans with a 7/16" (marginal difference I know) but haven't felt the need to resharpen yet.

11 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Update:
I was on the Bauer 3G while getting a 3/8" cut and would have to sharpen them every 3 sessions or so.  I'd sometimes need to go get them retouched every two, depending on how much edgework/post play I was engaging in.
I'm on 5 games on the Tydans with a 7/16" (marginal difference I know) but haven't felt the need to resharpen yet.

I'd love to try them, but it looks like they only make them for vertexx edge :( 

12 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Update:

Just switched to a 7/16" as well... love it!! I've had 10 skates on a single sharpening and still have great bite. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2018 at 8:22 AM, bunnyman666 said:

@Puckstopper I really do think you would love a Sparx. Knowing that if you lunched an edge and could fix it is worth the money. And the fact that most of the human factor is removed is very reassuring.

@bunnyman666  Ok, I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on one of these.   I wanted to have my steel sharpened on one, but the rink I found with the machine only had 1/2" hollow, and that is way to shallow for me.  They were good enough to sharpen up a pair of rental skates for me so I could check out some freshly sharpened steel.  One thing I noticed was that the blade appeared to have a lines running from front to back as opposed to the mirror finish I look for.  Unfortunately I'm not sure if what I saw was a product of junky steel or if it's how the Sparx finishes blades.  If anyone had a picture of good steel after a Sparx sharpening it would help me out a ton.

My father and I stopped at this rink on our way back to Ohio from our place in mid-Michigan.  He spent over 30 years doing technical sales for a major abrasives company, and offered quite a bit of insight into the abrasive used by Sparx and the pros and cons of their wheel choice.  Overall he was very impressed with the choice of abrasive and also the minimal amount of sparks coming off the wheel.  Before I'd told him anything about the machine he'd mentioned to me how little pressure it seemed to be putting on the blade being sharpened.  

So I thought I was maybe dealing with a defective set of blades or something for a while, or maybe just that the rinks I play at have the most chewed up posts imaginable.  I was having to get my tydan blades sharpened at pretty much the same interval as my previous blades.  Not because I'd lose the edge totally, but there would be a spot or two on each blade with a pretty sizable knick/burr that I would notice in shuffles etc.

Then I moved from a 5/8" sharpening to a 1/2" (I've been working my way down from 1" in my ONE100's then 3/4" when I got the 1S), and haven't had an issue ever since.  The weird thing is at the time I got it done, the guy at the shop was admiring the Tydan blades and commented on how the sharper edge would be more brittle.  Was I just so shallow before that I wasn't getting the benefit of the better steel?  Do the edges get more brittle at very deep hollows? 

@bunnyman666  Ok, I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on one of these.   I wanted to have my steel sharpened on one, but the rink I found with the machine only had 1/2" hollow, and that is way to shallow for me.  They were good enough to sharpen up a pair of rental skates for me so I could check out some freshly sharpened steel.  One thing I noticed was that the blade appeared to have a lines running from front to back as opposed to the mirror finish I look for.  Unfortunately I'm not sure if what I saw was a product of junky steel or if it's how the Sparx finishes blades.  If anyone had a picture of good steel after a Sparx sharpening it would help me out a ton.

My father and I stopped at this rink on our way back to Ohio from our place in mid-Michigan.  He spent over 30 years doing technical sales for a major abrasives company, and offered quite a bit of insight into the abrasive used by Sparx and the pros and cons of their wheel choice.  Overall he was very impressed with the choice of abrasive and also the minimal amount of sparks coming off the wheel.  Before I'd told him anything about the machine he'd mentioned to me how little pressure it seemed to be putting on the blade being sharpened.  

When I get out of hospital, I will put up a pic. Just like anthing else, user has as much to do with finished edges Aligning the wheel is key. It doesn’t finish like hand honed blades, but you can get it looking decent.

14 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

When I get out of hospital, I will put up a pic. Just like anthing else, user has as much to do with finished edges Aligning the wheel is key. It doesn’t finish like hand honed blades, but you can get it looking decent.

Thanks man.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.  

7 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

Thanks man.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.  

Thank you. 

I will say that on taller blades, there was a learning curve on the Sparx machine! I nearly returned it, as I was that discouraged! But I stood back and calmed down. It does feel just like a hand-sharpened edge on the ice. The thing I noticed when sharpening is how it centres the hollow. One experiment was to Sharpie the runner and you can see where many bias toward one side when they sharpen. When you get the blade to have no more black show up, then everything is properly aligned. My guide now is to sharpen anything new with ten passes. Of course most of my skate customers have butter knives when they come in and I am trying to tell them to do it more often as you don’t lose nearly as much steel. I run two passes per week on mine and they feel GREAT. 

Again- I will show you what my edges look like when I am out of here.

Archived