Aftermarket Steel

TheGoalNet

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Yup, pretty similar 

Anyone have any issues going to the tall steel on the first skate? 

Have some. Itching to use it. Was planning to do a pickup tomorrow and just got a last minute heads up we have a game tomorrow now... on the fence about using them 

No issues while on my feet. Needed to get used to the new lower angle of attack when pushing while down, but that only took a few minutes of sliding in pre-grame and a handful of game movements. I used them first in a pretty quick pick up... then went right into my competitive league last night. No complaints at all. Not sure if it's the steel or the DLC, but they do hold an edge FAR better than 3G (and 2G for that matter.)

12 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Okay, I am going to give them a whirl... 

Do it.  I know it is a different skate setup but my first time using Step Steel was also the first time I moved from an old Bauer cowling to a one80 cowling.  So one game I was playing in Bauer 7000s with worn down steel and the next game I was in Bauer 7000 boots on one80 cowlings with Step Steel.  It was a welcomed change.  

Taller steel is a game changer. I never did it before because taking them a store for modification to my cowling seemed like over kill. 

With the ability to pop them in and out of the Vertexx Edge, I strongly recommend anyone who has the Vertexx Edge to upgrade to Tyden or wait for Bauer's version. 

Your foot catches so much easier and changing directions on a slide while down is a breeze. 

I just recently went to Extreme Step Steel in my RBK 9k (from 2009/10 or so). There was basically no blade left to sharpen, so the change was quite drastic but after two games with the Extreme blades I'm very pleased with them. Getting a good push laterally from the knees happens at a much lower angle and it's definitely improved my mobility in that regard.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Finally got my Black Steel installed in my Reactor 6000's.  Looking forward to the swap... besides the height, will I have any other adjustments to the new steel?

I went with my usual 7/16 on the inugural sharpen as well.

IMG_0147.thumb.jpg.9d22508428fa377d109a9816475f0492.jpg

The biggest adjustment is how hard the steel is and how seldom you totally mess up an edge completely.

Just make certain your sharpener knows to NOT stone the sides; black steel and the polished stuff does nor burr like regular steel. If you see them get out the stone, beat that inbred SENSELESS!!!! I even use blue tape to keep the sling from marring the black coating!   

5 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

The biggest adjustment is how hard the steel is and how seldom you totally mess up an edge completely.

Just make certain your sharpener knows to NOT stone the sides; black steel and the polished stuff does nor burr like regular steel. If you see them get out the stone, beat that inbred SENSELESS!!!! I even use blue tape to keep the sling from marring the black coating!   

I spoke with my guy about it today.  He mentioned he does have a softer product that you can use at an angle but he doesn't recommended it either.  Only guy in town I trust with my skates

3 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I spoke with my guy about it today.  He mentioned he does have a softer product that you can use at an angle but he doesn't recommended it either.  Only guy in town I trust with my skates

Good. Sounds like a good sharpener. 

Leather strop is PLENTY to get rid of burrs!

4 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

That will suffice for now, but you could find stuff to dress chef knives after sharpening. 

Yeah looks like plenty of options on Amazon, most commonly a 3x8 sheet. Honestly I think a leather chamois would actually be ideal. It's not like theres ever any actual burrs. 

On 12/11/2017 at 3:06 PM, bunnyman666 said:

Does this go for the original Step blades?  The non black, non extreme ones?

Archived