TGN's Collection of Frankenchesties

Kayen

4 hours ago, Kayen said:

In the spirit of @TheGoalNet's chelfie.... 

Further mods made:

- Added side extensions to not interfere with my new eflex 1.9 pants 

- ritual g2 pro shoulder floaters

- ritual g2 pro harness with custom straps made by @Doobiesnax

- added wrist guards on the arms

received_2122065014673391~2.jpeg

Is Emoji’s over the face officially our site’s “thing?”

• Haha 3

• 2 years later...

An old one appeared within search for info.

I'm planning on next project where the CCM AB Pro is going to get some franken parts from a CCM Premier (SR version) chesty. 

What I'm after is fixing the "hanging low" of the AB Pro. Add better adjustments for the arms and shoulder area. Add shoulder cups from the Premier to cover more over the AB Pro cups. Add some extra beef to AB Pro if it is needed? Is the back plate of the AB Pro good or should I just replace it as a whole for the Premier one. 

Reading this topic through I see many of you have added extra padding under the shoulder floaters, is that an area in the AB Pro where you need more protection? The original floaters appear pretty thick to start from.

How any of you having experience of the AB Pro find the protection in the arms and especially elbow floaters? I take stingers there with my Brown, Vaughn VE8, Warrior GT, to say all I've used so far as a goalie. That also comes from my style of trying to make saves in certain situations.

Any other suggestions on upgrading the AB Pro to a new level?

Pictures of both things involved here.

AB-pro.jpg.a7b757a94e14e9772fc71af420638359.jpg

AB-pro-behind.thumb.jpg.2ad8835cdb1933fc808ed9a048ae019c.jpg

ccm-premier-chest-arm-protector.jpg.56194826213e8e447fe6dddb96d6d084.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

As someone with a AB PRO, i think the back protection is fine as-is.

Looking forward to your mods on this C/A!

I'm really not needing any more back protection, but it would be straight forward of just changing the back plate from the Premier.

Other choice is to decide a part which I want to reserve from the AB and only add the top part of the Premier back plate. That is to take advantage of the velcro adjustments on shoulders in the Premier chesty.

Are those nylon straps from shoulders down on the back any good on the AB pro?

Edited by ArdeFIN
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 2:57 PM, ArdeFIN said:

I'm really not needing any more back protection, but it would be straight forward of just changing the back plate from the Premier.

Other choice is to decide a part which I want to reserve from the AB and only add the top part of the Premier back plate. That is to take advantage of the velcro adjustments on shoulders in the Premier chesty.

I haven't had any issues with it personally. Been in the unit for a few years now.

On 9/5/2021 at 11:57 AM, ArdeFIN said:

I did this with my custom Kenesky c/a

You should be able to get the neck to ride higher with the velcro in the back.

I also swapped elastic at the waist for nylon to help keep the unit centered and a lot of other stuff...

image.png.1e0f192e31e1d1d6353a20faba07b0ef.png

If it were me, I'd take use the Premier Pro as my base, sub in the ABPro shoulder floaters, swap the arms to the ABPro arms and call it a day.

• Like 2

@Chenner29 Your Kenesky is the base of my thoughts of what I'm going to do 👍. I got the AB Pro for reasonable price as it is almost new, and as said happened to get the old Premier for donator.

Premier Pros are near non-existent in 2nd hand market and most that is available is so worn out that it's basically no use.

I think that the AB Pro body will be very good when I get the Premier shoulder parts installed. I was also to swap the straps to nylon ones as both of my samples are with dead elastics (already and the AB Pro is only ~15 ice times old). I'm used to nylon straps with my Brown too.

Arms are what concerns me more in this project. I have no spare parts and have to make do with the originals, only modifying them where needed. I'm yet to start with them at all so I don't really have a clue what I'm up against. But my Brown and VE8 projects were a good success and those arms do work pretty well so hopefully this one will become a good one too.

A few pictures of whats happenin. Drying the back parts from Premier. The C/A sucks in filth have to say. Should've had them weighted before - after...

IMG_20210907_203340_8x6.jpg.fd7cf7aa9023aff597f9a4ec331981dc.jpg

Comparison between hanging from the neck and back plate. The size of the head opening is enormous. No wonder this design never could keep up. 

Also the line over shoulders where there is a "break towards back is far behind. The padding on shoulders is made in a way that it won't allow the line to be moved without modifying things.

IMG_20210907_203750_8x6.jpg.961c6f8a1b757186f7a22952e426c821.jpg

IMG_20210907_203803_8x6.jpg.1d1cdd5342f309ef6f843b9bf23b9f8c.jpg

Last one is from the Premier arm as I had a R1.9 for a short time before realizing I would never be able to make it work, or better say I got my money out of it when sold in original form and unused. I was fiddling with that previous Premier and wondered all the time that when I bent my arms something digged into my elbows in the front side. Couldn't figure it out and never really started to look after as said I sold the unit.

The yellow padding is the problem with the mobility here. It's meant to be the softer padding below the elbow floaters when puck hits. But it's still very stiff platelike foam and won't give up too much. Even with this unit was already pretty worn out one. For what I looked over to the AB arms it looked like there was a similar padding in there which might have negative effect on bending the arm.

IMG_20210904_183058_8x6.jpg.27286a3dd745fbe3b620a84c86031f28.jpg

(Maybe I should go to the Mods area with a new topic?)

Edited by ArdeFIN
  • Like 3

• Kayen changed the title to TGN's Collection of Frankenchesties
16 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

@Chenner29 Your Kenesky is the base of my thoughts of what I'm going to do 👍. I got the AB Pro for reasonable price as it is almost new, and as said happened to get the old Premier for donator.

Premier Pros are near non-existent in 2nd hand market and most that is available is so worn out that it's basically no use.

I think that the AB Pro body will be very good when I get the Premier shoulder parts installed. I was also to swap the straps to nylon ones as both of my smaples are with dead elastics (already and the AB Pro is only ~15 ice times old). I'm used to nylon straps with my Brown too.

Arms are what concerns me more in this project. I have no spare parts and have to make do with the originals, only modifying them where needed. I'm yet to strat with them at all so I don't really have a clue what Im'm up against. But my Brown and VE8 projects were a good success and those amrs do work pretty well so hopefully this one works out too.

A few pictures of whats happenin. Drying the back parts from Premier. The C/A sucks in filth have to say. Should've had them weighted before - after...

IMG_20210907_203340_8x6.jpg.fd7cf7aa9023aff597f9a4ec331981dc.jpg

Comparison between hanging from the neck and back plate. The size of the head opening is enormous. No wonder this design never could keep up. 

Also the line over shoulders where there is a "break towards back is far behind. The padding on shoulders is made in a way that it won't allow the line to be moved without modifying things.

IMG_20210907_203750_8x6.jpg.961c6f8a1b757186f7a22952e426c821.jpg

IMG_20210907_203803_8x6.jpg.1d1cdd5342f309ef6f843b9bf23b9f8c.jpg

Last one is from the Premier arm as I had a R1.9 for a short time before realizing I would never be able to make it work, or better say I got my money out of it when sold in original form and unused. I was fiddling with that previous Premier and wondered all the time that when I bent my arms something digged into my elbows in the front side. Couldn't figure it out and never really started as said I sold the unit.

The yellow padding is the problem with the mobility here. It's meant to soften below the elbow floaters when puck hits. BUt it's still very stiff plate like foam and won't give up too much. Even with this unit was already pretty worn out one. For what I looked over to the AB arms it looked like there was a similar padding in there which might have negative effect on bending the arm.

IMG_20210904_183058_8x6.jpg.27286a3dd745fbe3b620a84c86031f28.jpg

(Maybe I should go to the Mods area with a new topic?)

on my old Reebok 6K, which has the same design, I cut these parts along the red lines, and sewed Velcro on the chest and back (green). something like this on Velocity. but my back was redone and not a standard partIMG_20210907_203750_8x6.jpg.961c6f8a1b757186f7a22952e426c821.jpg.28c73c23c6d187e3b2d696b6b8cf16cf.jpg

To start with, one more pic of the shoulder parts of the AB. Hold together with a clamp so that the cups are aligned, the rest of them won't line up at all.

IMG_20210908_195236_8x6.jpg.2cc63f44763b488df1c630e5722f0e98.jpg

Then a mock up of my plan to combine these two CCM chestys. Missing the second shoulder cups and I rejected the Premier chest plate as it's useless as it is. If I update it with a plastic sheet then maybe it would be useful.

IMG_20210913_200355_8x6.jpg.83e7758a6cb6abadad51994c8868bd41.jpg

One of the both shoulder cups. I'll cut out the excess material from the AB ones and attach them with lace like Warrior has them done. More flexibility and can be changed easier later on.

IMG_20210908_200055_8x6.jpg

Edited by ArdeFIN
  • Like 2

On 9/13/2021 at 5:14 PM, creasecollector said:

I think the biggest change was the arms on the CCM AB Pro when it first came out. The rest of the unit was meant to be a copy of the P1 I beleive.

Yep!

CCM ABPro was a stitch for stitch remake of the pro spec Reebok P1.

image.png.76aad5b3b544700ef7cc065e629aebc5.png

Below is an original retail Premier Pro.  Note the arm floaters wrap around

image.png.5957695603b8a0a19cfd363ca73e197c.png

image.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Yep!

CCM ABPro was a stitch for stitch remake of the pro spec Reebok P1.

image.png.76aad5b3b544700ef7cc065e629aebc5.png

Below is an original retail Premier Pro.  Note the arm floaters wrap around

image.png.5957695603b8a0a19cfd363ca73e197c.png

image.png

Nice! Thank you for the pics. I will forever love the RBK P1 (and my current CCM A/B Pro as an extension to The Unicorn).

Edited by creasecollector

The very first chesty I was gifted by my wife is going to be pressed back into use. The lowly Vaughn LT80 isn’t really all that bad as it just needs a few bits of help. I have a Brian’s SZ 2 knocking about. That will become my defenseman chest/shoulder pads, and the liner and maybe the arms will live on. Haven’t decided. I will post pix…

15 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

To start with, one more pic of the shoulder parts of the AB. Hold together with a clamp so that the cups are aligned, the rest of them won't line up at all.

IMG_20210908_195236_8x6.jpg.2cc63f44763b488df1c630e5722f0e98.jpg

Then a mock up of my plan to combine these two CCM chestys. Missing the second shoulder cups and I rejected the Premier chest plate as it's useless as it is. If I update it with a plastic sheet then maybe it would be useful.

IMG_20210913_200355_8x6.jpg.83e7758a6cb6abadad51994c8868bd41.jpg

One of the both shoulder cups. I'll cut out the excess material from the AB ones and attach them with lace like Warrior has them done. More flexibility and can be changed easier later on.

IMG_20210908_200055_8x6.jpg

a new interesting project begins which I will follow

And then to the progress. Updated the worn out elastics to nylon straps and buckles from the AB Pro. Premiers were broken surprisingly. I cut the padding under the straps to half of the original thickness so the straps won't bend so much at the attachment point. And should last longer now. I also sewed them through all the materials to so they hopefully are more durable now.

IMG_20210914_201343_8x6.jpg.5ca4c0d2ae9ef6aca9b85db18994100b.jpg

Assembly mockup of the side protection. Atleast the buckles should be safe in this unit...

Still have to figure out some attachment for the two flaps to keep them together as the outer AB flap isn't connected to the inner flap. Maybe some velcro or just elastic. There has to be room for me to handle the buckles.

IMG_20210914_201622_8x6.jpg.dce3c39dbadf82203f0b0e54f45381cb.jpg

Then few pictures of the shoulder parts.

First with only the Premier parts.

IMG_20210914_201914_8x6.thumb.jpg.531559de66b7f3daf6f63e4dbc4b4f8d.jpg

And then with the second cup. Still with all the extra material. Shoulders should be protected and big. 🤓

IMG_20210914_201952_8x6.jpg.1fa16ccbf77631cc43514673d23171cd.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ArdeFIN said:

And then to the progress. Updated the worn out elastics to nylon straps and buckles from the AB Pro. Premiers were broken surprisingly. I cut the padding under the straps to half of the original thickness so the straps won't bend so much at the attachment point. And should last longer now. I also sewed them through all the materials to so they hopefully are more durable now.

Assembly mockup of the side protection. Atleast the buckles should be safe in this unit...

Still have to figure out some attachment for the two flaps to keep them together as the outer AB flap isn't connected to the inner flap. Maybe some velcro or just elastic. There has to be room for me to handle the buckles.

Then few pictures of the shoulder parts.

First with only the Premier parts.

And then with the second cup. Still with all the extra material. Shoulders should be protected and big. 🤓

Good call using the ABpro ribs on top of the regular ribs.  Many of the Reebok P1 returns I've seen have this as an extra layer of protection for the ribs.

I'm actually surprised no one has figured out to put the buckle on the backplate and stitch the strapping to the ribs.  I slip my chesty on over my head like a sweater and never undo the buckle. 

Are you planning on using the ABpro shoulder floaters or the Premier?

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

Good call using the ABpro ribs on top of the regular ribs.  Many of the Reebok P1 returns I've seen have this as an extra layer of protection for the ribs.

I'm actually surprised no one has figured out to put the buckle on the backplate and stitch the strapping to the ribs.  I slip my chesty on over my head like a sweater and never undo the buckle. 

Are you planning on using the ABpro shoulder floaters or the Premier?

Trying to save as much of the AB as I can as it is so fresh. But the rib protectors are awfully small, easy to compare M size AB vs L size Premier.

The buckle on the backplate would be a bit difficult to use atleast with my stiff arms not bending really well behind my back. I even struggle with my Browns side buckles. Hopefully this will become easier one. I strap pretty tight (too tight maybe, I should try to loosen those a bit. I feels just that much tight at my belly and the pants over that all too. And tucked in.

Premier floaters are awkward design so I'm opting for AB floaters with a little mod at the neck area to get them a little closer to cover clavicle bones.

Here's a standing test for the shoulder area to see if will work at all. Looks pretty wide atleast and the cups are too much in and should be atleast an inch outwards. I try to sew those only from the top part where the clamp are and strap the bottoms to the eyelets with some elastic lace. So that they would stay down and protect nice and tight but when I need to raise my arm or bring arms forward then the cups would allow me to do so.

IMG_20210914_202459_8x6.thumb.jpg.018ff109f0f1439d42b5484507958cf3.jpg

Then I started the part I wasn't really happy about but it has to be done anyway. Open up the chest part, move the loop for the pants higher and attach the floaters (the elastics were destroyed for some reason so I cut them out earlier) But then a few thoughts more and I decided to add jenpro loops for the floaters as the floaters are still waiting to be modded and were not actually attachable. I didn't want to sew these through all the layers as it would've flattened the airbag for the chest area and weaken the protection. The chest area is super thick in AB with two separate layers of foam (20+5mm) and densier foam of 5mm and then the blocks. That's even more than inside of the Brown! But no plastic sheet here...

IMG_20210915_210351_8x6.jpg.704c3b07654d33c398a0a8b912ac4126.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Not much has happened with this one as I got a motivational boost to finish the Bauer gloves in between.

Some design and thoughts have run over my mind and then I made the secondary shoulder cups from the AB ones.

DSC_0008_12x9.thumb.jpg.e1e0deaeae4fb3afd876e6e5738b6323.jpg

After I got them done I started thinking if I should install them "upsidedown" a little like Vaughn to add some plating to the armpit area. And get rid of the extra mass over my shoulders as there will be plenty and hopefully it doesn't get in way of my mask when looking backwards.

Some holes have to be done to the edge so that I can lace them on and then I'm opted to start with the shoulder floaters.

And maybe figure out something to hold the rib plates together but to still be able to open the buckles too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, some detail pictures of the FrankenCCM. First a basic overview without the floaters, pretty big shape with a bit of an optical distortion.

DSC_0040_8x6.jpg.e4c0bafe8fb501c84601025cb5f2b0c0.jpg

Rib protection with the little tab to close the top plate.

DSC_0041_6x8.thumb.jpg.d9263658bddd0e37b95fdf1804990fc6.jpg

Same angle but the top plate opened. Don't even know yet if the tab is useable after all. Hopefully it is.

DSC_0042_6x8.thumb.jpg.fd8074da37749dda1dbcc99b158387cf.jpg

Belly protection updated as it looks to me that the M size is a bit short now that it's not hanging low on my neck. Original flap with 10mm of soft foam and 1mm plastic sheets to add some rigidity. The foam alone was very floppy and this part will also hold things in place as I like to tuck my C/A with some specific modifications done to my Warrior pants.

DSC_0043_8x6.jpg.dd7cf22b183117305fd7545e5eb8531d.jpg

• Like 3

Add some beef to it! So here we go, the wood block is 2x4" and about 50cm wide as is my shoulder width. And it is trying to imitate my shoulder shapes in all other dimensions too. The shoulder cups from Premier aren't that wide I was afraid at first and actually very suitable for recreational gameplay. Not too big to annoy players but big enough to protect properly atleast. The height (and width too) adjustment of the CCM is just genius design, nothing needed to be redone.

DSC_0045_8x6.jpg.94c3e7c9a0ae9b9701908833faa55859.jpg

And then all the gadgets except for the ABs shoulder cups, which I just realised, installed on. Somehow the shape reminds from Bauer Hyperlite or Elite C/As.

DSC_0044_6x8.thumb.jpg.fbe6975c6dc2197b73fb744d8b2e1885.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

Add some beef to it! So here we go, the wood block is 2x4" and about 50cm wide as is my shoulder width. And it is trying to imitate my shoulder shapes in all other dimensions too. The shoulder cups from Premier aren't that wide I was afraid at first and actually very suitable for recreational gameplay. Not too big to annoy players but big enough to protect properly atleast. The height (and width too) adjustment of the CCM is just genius design, nothing needed to be redone.

DSC_0045_8x6.jpg.94c3e7c9a0ae9b9701908833faa55859.jpg

And then all the gadgets except for the ABs shoulder cups, which I just realised, installed on. Somehow the shape reminds from Bauer Hyperlite or Elite C/As.

DSC_0044_6x8.thumb.jpg.fbe6975c6dc2197b73fb744d8b2e1885.jpg

It's gonna look wide in the shoulders like Bauer.

Good work 😎

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little look up to the Franken project, took the AB arm to closer inspection.

DSC_0087_8x6.jpg.444776b1e267cd55ef167312dddb0290.jpg

As said earlier the Premier arms had a terrible design idea that killed the elbow bending. The design here is better and there is only one short seam that I cannot understand. Or I might say that yes I understand it, but it could be done a lot better with just a little extra thought. That seam is in the midlle of picture holding the elbow floater construction on place. And at the same time it stiffens the elbow area so that there is no room or flexibility to bend the elbow properly.

DSC_0083_8x6.jpg.e9db4cd02e49e835eb6365624b035ca2.jpg

The elbow cup is very nice and simple, I like that one. Does the job well and is very simple.DSC_0089_8x6.jpg.4941ed064cd09631c6bb86be0b8ff96c.jpg

Added a bit of extra sideprotection here too. HD foam sheet.

DSC_0088_8x6.jpg.aec42a0b02d4a31c52ce7b9be913c403.jpg

The bicep plating is hanging very low and is also a part of not very flexible elbow. Surpirisingly there is some 20mm of room to lift the plate up without any mods. Only the extra stripe is so tight that it holds against. It's actually so tight that I'm going to remove it and do something else in there instead.

Seam is right next to my finger and the plate is pushed upwards as far as it goes.

DSC_0092_8x6.thumb.jpg.b2753b3e871364edddf7b346ee860dd6.jpg

With all these issues seen and that one seam removed (last picture) the elbow floater is really wild so I have to figure out the attachment to make it a bit more rigid and hold its own place. But the arms seem really promising at this point!

• Like 2