Sub Zero 3 Pros on clearance?

Punisher Goalie

Anyone have any experience using the Brian's knee guards attached to Brian's leg pads using the velcro tabs? Its a really interesting design I was just wondering what its like in terms of rotation of the leg inside the pad (does the tab hinder movement/twisting).

Contemplating switching away from garter/socks and just wearing UA leggings. It seems like keeping the knee guards attached would simplify the dressing process a bit too.

Skated with the knee pads attached at pickup yesterday. Was really happy with them. Rotation felt really natural and no restrictions. There is a piece of elastic that is attached to the Velcro tab on the knee guards which I think allows a little extra flex. With them attached, the lower strap basically serves as a professor strap.

58 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Skated with the knee pads attached at pickup yesterday. Was really happy with them. Rotation felt really natural and no restrictions. There is a piece of elastic that is attached to the Velcro tab on the knee guards which I think allows a little extra flex. With them attached, the lower strap basically serves as a professor strap.

I keep forgetting to throw them in my bag! I am so mad I have no tested them. I need to throw them in my bag now so I don't forgot for Friday. 

@TheGoalNet I now have 3 ice sessions under my belt with the knee pads attached and I think I’m sold. I like the connected feel a lot and switched to a little tighter set up on the leg channel smart straps. I’m still debating Smart Toe Straps vs. HAL/DYNO/other elastics for the toe ties, but very happy with the performance of these SZ3s thus far.

As sick as the Optiks look, I’d probably just end up configuring an SZ3 clone at this point so I’m going to run these into the ground then consider an order with custom colors down the road (or Optik 2s, I guess...). A very happy Brian’s convert here!

10 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

You're wearing the calf loose or tight now with th knee pads? 

Was previous preference loose or tight? 

Previously (when not connected to pads) wore the knee pads with both the calf and thigh straps super tight to prevent slippage. Even taped over my socks on the thigh strap to lock it in.

Now with the knee pads connected, I’ve completely changed the set up. I don’t wear socks or Velcro shorts anymore. I’m wearing a pair of  under armor compression pants only. Then the leg pads with the knee pads attached directly on top of the compression pants. I keep the calf strap on the knee pads somewhat tight for the Professor Strap effect, but I can leave the thigh strap looser since slippage won’t be an issue. I don’t leave it too loose though because I want to make sure the top portion of the knee pad stays small enough to stay inside my pant legs and not interfere.

So far so good.

Oviously- the standard thigh boards work well with you. I have to say that different makers design them differently.  Warrior and Vaughn are built one way, Brian’s are built differently and etc., etc. I save them for modding things for better protection. I actually CAN “use that one day”...

I just don’t have enough faith in the  standard thigh boards and I spent some $$$ on Factory Mad knee guards and are very, very happy with them. As we all say, YMMV. 

Glad you found a system that simplifies dressing AND works well for you. Keep letting us know how it is working out. 

Archived