Jump to content
THE GOAL[ie] NET[work]
motowngoalie

Team Sweden Setup - Suggestions

Recommended Posts

Hi all, 

So I'm planning on getting my first custom setup early next year (hello tax return...) and I'd like to do a Sweden set-up. While not having any Scandinavian heritage myself, my wife's family is Swedish, Sweden is my favorite IIHF team, and the King is my favorite current goalie, so I figure I have enough of a tie-in to justify it :) I'm planning on going with Warrior R/GT's and custom paint on a new mask. Here's some ideas I mocked up, what do you guys think? Looking for advice/critiques/suggestions, etc. Pardon the kindergarten-level mask mockup too.......

blocker.png

glove.png

pads.png

mask.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2017 at 1:10 PM, motowngoalie said:

also, I really love Hiller's mask from the Olympics, so clean. That's what I'd like to base my mask design off of.

Is this the same brand of goalie mask Hiller has been wearing in the past - it looks like it has a Bauer-esque swoop in the chin area??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Big2 that's an air excess. It's a small Swiss shop that does paint and makes 3 models of masks. It's the same one Hiller has worn for ever. I'd like to get one someday...

@motowngoalie - I'm happy to see it's a yellow base instead of blue! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TGN - the chin looks different than on the previous pictures of his Airxess masks?

Maybe it's the side view?

Edited by Big2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like your idea of coloured sweden pads. But that one blue vertical stripe on pads just don´t match to me  - don´t know why, it looks good on blocker and catcher. Maybe it is just a picture, because it is good on right picture, but not so good on middle one (??). Or maybe just my eyes...

Hillers mask is airxess, same mask that he uses all the time. It is just camera angle and dangler that makes chin strange:

So-entsteht-die-Goalie-Maske-von-Jonas-H

hiller20thmask02_JPG.jpg

hillermask.jpg?w=640

 

 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys te top mask has a different CHIN than the bottom 2 - it looks like a Bauer chin even more obvious when you stack em up like this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Big2 said:

Guys te top mask has a different CHIN than the bottom 2 - it looks like a Bauer chin even more obvious when you stack em up like this!

@Big2 - Air Excess makes 3 different shell styles and everything is custom made to order as well. 

There definitely could be a physical difference from mask to mask or year to year. The builder and/or Hiller could have been trying something different 

i love the look of the bottom mask with the ducks paintjob. It's one of my favorite masks ever. Unfortunately, I've never seen one of these up close. These are definitely a 🦄 for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2017 at 1:32 PM, TheGoalNet said:

@Big2 - Air Excess makes 3 different shell styles and everything is custom made to order as well. 

There definitely could be a physical difference from mask to mask or year to year. The builder and/or Hiller could have been trying something different 

i love the look of the bottom mask with the ducks paintjob. It's one of my favorite masks ever. Unfortunately, I've never seen one of these up close. These are definitely a 🦄 for me

If I end up building a masque that gets past the puck hammer, you will get one of my unicorns, as I only plan on producing one a month if I go into production. A few things would have to change before I could dedicate that type of time, money and effort. 

I want to know what Air Excess really makes... Looks very aircrafty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

If I end up building a masque that gets past the puck hammer, you will get one of my unicorns, as I only plan on producing one a month if I go into production. A few things would have to change before I could dedicate that type of time, money and effort. 

I want to know what Air Excess really makes... Looks very aircrafty.

Haha, sounds like you're getting closer. Hope it's not a 2.0 version of that 360 deg skateboard looking helmet from GSBB!!! 

Just teasing 

Air Excess itself is a paint shop. They paint masks for other brands too... 

But who knows who designed and / or assembles the mask. Switzerland is a very small country that prides themself on being craftsmen, using good design, and making very high products... it's very possible someone amazing, like an F1 sub contractor, had a hand in those 

The prostock CCM masks are assembled by Bombardier Aerospace in Quebec 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Haha, sounds like you're getting closer. Hope it's not a 2.0 version of that 360 deg skateboard looking helmet from GSBB!!! 

Just teasing 

Air Excess itself is a paint shop. They paint masks for other brands too... 

But who knows who designed and / or assembles the mask. Switzerland is a very small country that prides themself on being craftsmen, using good design, and making very high products... it's very possible someone amazing, like an F1 sub contractor, had a hand in those 

The prostock CCM masks are assembled by Bombardier Aerospace in Quebec 

That “skateboard-looking” helmet is a Shawn Schroeder version of a SK2000. I used to shoot truck bedliner paint on those helmets!!!!! 

I am reverse engineering a few lids. Stock CCM lids are scary. Very shiny, very pretty; not much else. I am glad I only played two 101 sessions in it; thank G’d!!!!!!!

Back to the Swedish set- I am in LOOOOOOOOVE!!!!!!

That set is going to be FI-YAH!!!!!! Hot damn!!!! I may nut over that set!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@bunnyman666 - my current mask is a CCM Pro from the Q. 

It's basically the retail helmet with different sizing and fits. It's NOT the Bombardier mask NHL guys get. 

Protechsport custom padded it. I've taken some rockets to the melon. See the cage thread... 

Im fully acknowledging it may not have the best possible construction from a designers standponint, but the mask works.It meets the "pro" labeling for retail masks. I love the look of it and it's light. Really can't complain about it 

PS - If you have pics of the bike helmet goalie mask, can you post them on the mask thread? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@bunnyman666 - my current mask is a CCM Pro from the Q. 

It's basically the retail helmet with different sizing and fits. It's NOT the Bombardier mask NHL guys get. 

Protechsport custom padded it. I've taken some rockets to the melon. See the cage thread... 

Im fully acknowledging it may not have the best possible construction from a designers standponint, but the mask works.It meets the "pro" labeling for retail masks. I love the look of it and it's light. Really can't complain about it 

PS - If you have pics of the bike helmet goalie mask, can you post them on the mask thread? 

Really?!? I thought you have the Bombardier one...

I do not want people to think this is a “Widow Maker” situation, as it is NOT. I have just done a little reverse engineering on my CCM fibreglass helmet. It is not pro. Like I said- I got pinged a few times and I did not lose IQ points, but just felt more of the ping. I will not go into huge specifics, but let’s just say mine was pretty thin and is one of the smoothest inside and out I have seen! It is concerning knowing what I know. 

Obviously, if people were regularly getting hurt, that helmet would be off of the market. I am not even going to use the concussion argument here. One can get concussed using ANY helmet. 

Without x-rays and such, I will not say much more, as I may be surprised. I also don’t want another cease and desist letter, especially since I have done ZERO testing. But seeing what I have seen from some composite shoppes (such as the Beijing Times in a bicycle fork that I had band-sawed in half), it is cause for alarm; I would expect a fibreglass, smooth-finish masque shell to be thicker. Composite construction can potentially hide construction and design flaws, and corner-cutters LOVE composite for that reason alone. Again- people are not getting hurt in these and I don’t expect them to.  9/10 should be fine wearing a CCM helmet. 

The shoppe CCM uses could be very good and have a high fibre to resin ratio for all I know, which is why I am not going to speculate much, as I am unwilling to saw this thing in half and take a look. Asian composite shoppes have built HIGH quality pieces, especially IF they are owned by a North American concern. If they are contracted, all bets are off... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/13/2017 at 2:20 PM, motowngoalie said:

Thanks for the feedback all. @mik I see what you're saying on the stripe, it does kind of throw it off :) I'll mess around with the customizer some more and maybe put some more ideas in here. Also, here's a great article on some of Hiller's mask designs:http://hockeybydesign.com/2014/07/hbd-masks-3-jonas-hiller/ , I love HBD.

Thank you for article, realy like it!

On 10/13/2017 at 2:32 PM, TheGoalNet said:

@Big2 - Air Excess makes 3 different shell styles and everything is custom made to order as well. 

There definitely could be a physical difference from mask to mask or year to year. The builder and/or Hiller could have been trying something different 

i love the look of the bottom mask with the ducks paintjob. It's one of my favorite masks ever. Unfortunately, I've never seen one of these up close. These are definitely a 🦄 for me

You are right, it looks like he changed  chin a little from 2010 olympic mask.

So-entsteht-die-Goalie-Maske-von-Jonas-H

btw. My favourite mask too. If I ever decide to paint my mask (use to have plain white all my "career"), this will be the way to go.  

hillermask02.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×