Sportmask Thread

Mo, I have zero knowledge about this type of bucket. Other than working on your painting skills, if you are the painter, save your dough and get something new. Why take a chance on how the prior owner treated it? Every little johnny boy can fire so why roll the dice with your mug when you don't know whether, for example, the other guy kept it at the bottom of his bag with tons of other stuff on top of it?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fullright said:

Mo, I have zero knowledge about this type of bucket. Other than working on your painting skills, if you are the painter, save your dough and get something new. Why take a chance on how the prior owner treated it? Every little johnny boy can fire so why roll the dice with your mug when you don't know whether, for example, the other guy kept it at the bottom of his bag with tons of other stuff on top of

I'm with @Fullright here- too much risk there, except to practise your paint skills on. I don't know what is in those shells. I won't buy from ANYONE that won't disclose their build techniques. I have never asked Tony how he builds...

The link is dead so I can't offer an opinion on the model. 

As for my personal experience with the brand, I've purchased 5 of them. Two used ricochet, a used razor, a used X8 and a new ricochet. The only purchase I regret was the new ricochet (it was the first one I bought), and that's only because it cost me as much as the other 4 did combined. All 4 used masks were in great shape. For whatever reason I see them listed for dirt cheap a lot, I think a lack of brand recognition is a huge part of that. It isn't Bauer, CCM or Vaughn so people think they are a lesser piece of equipment. 

I kept the first ricochet, the razor and the x8 and rotate them. My buddy that is the other goalie on our team has the other two ricochet. All have treated us well. 

Edited by Nova

Same here, I can't see the link, but I own a VX-5 and love it.  I've had Hackva, Fusion 962 and a Bauer 960.  The VX-5 is the best of the bunch for me in terms of fit and function.  I love the design and the comfort of the 960/Fusion 962, but they just don't work for me as well as my Sportmask.  It's light, integrates with my chesty perfectly (I have a short neck) and takes a shot better than the others.

Edited by jayluv54

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Time for a new helmet for my son and for another helmet question....

He will be playing high school hockey this winter, he is currently in a Hackva which is starting to show its age. My question is about the Sportmask X8 and how it compares to the Bauer helmets in terms of protection (is it like an NME 5 or the 960 etc.). I understand a helmets fit is the most crucial aspect, so that will obviously play a role in the decision. Any information is appreciated! Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Tr33guy said:

Time for a new helmet for my son and for another helmet question....

He will be playing high school hockey this winter, he is currently in a Hackva which is starting to show its age. My question is about the Sportmask X8 and how it compares to the Bauer helmets in terms of protection (is it like an NME 5 or the 960 etc.). I understand a helmets fit is the most crucial aspect, so that will obviously play a role in the decision. Any information is appreciated! Thanks!

Sportmask X8 is a mid level mask as apposed to pro level. For mid level it is as good as any. Tends to fit a wider head than Bauer. An upgrade from Hackva.

8 hours ago, goalie said:

Sportmask X8 is a mid level mask as apposed to pro level. For mid level it is as good as any. Tends to fit a wider head than Bauer. An upgrade from Hackva.

Thanks for the response. How do think the sport mask T3 compares as far as protection to a Bauer or his Hackva?  If I’m looking at it right, the T3 is kind of the entry level pro mask?  Whereas the X8 would be too end intermediate model?  Thanks again for any input - so many different ideas on what makes a safe helmet. 

20 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Tr33guy - welcome to the board!

If I can ask your budget?

If it's around 600 USD, you can get a custom padded pro level mask from Masked Marvel ( @Joe Messina ), Protechsport, or Coveted ( @ron@covetedmask.com

This will be safer, higher quality, and longer lasting than any of the masks you're referring to above 

All good choices. But if we are now talking T3, I've had a couple, no issues, no injuries. Huge upgrade over Hackva

Thanks for the information!  Budget - as much as I would like to say it's his head and it shouldn't matter the cost....  I'm not in a position to spend more than $700, and even that's gonna hurt.  As far as the coveted, protechsport, and marvel, I'll look into those as well.  Do they have "stock" masks or is this something that will take time to get?  Thanks again! 

9 minutes ago, Tr33guy said:

Thanks for the information!  Budget - as much as I would like to say it's his head and it shouldn't matter the cost....  I'm not in a position to spend more than $700, and even that's gonna hurt.  As far as the coveted, protechsport, and marvel, I'll look into those as well.  Do they have "stock" masks or is this something that will take time to get?  Thanks again! 

All of the masks I mentioned will be custom. @Mroy31 - How long did your MM mask take?

25 minutes ago, Tr33guy said:

https://merlotstudios.myshopify.com/

Coveted site.  They are super helpful when it comes to questions regarding their masks.

I really like the protechsport, but there is an 18 month wait to get the mask.  The other issue is the HECC cert. I can’t understand why an obviously less protective helmet with a sticker can be played in, but a far superior, custom fit helmet is a no no. Kind of a joke if you ask me. 

Sorry for the rant and back on topic. I guess as you all help me answer more questions I am starting to figure things out. Of course that means I am finding more to confuse myself with as well!