Sportmask Thread

@Tr33guy - I've asked a few mask makers and no one will touch the HECC / CSA topic... but you're correct, the system in flawed... 

My basic understanding is that the system is based around repeatability and consistently more than impact resistance. Custom masks can't be considered because there is a variance in padding or shell designs mask to mask due to the customization. There's also a really high cost for the testing and many companies cannot afford it or don't see the value in it. 

there are some mask options that are HECC and CSS certified from Masked Marvel and Coveted though, so you might not have to rule those out 

I haven't been around youth hockey in awhile, but do people check the stickers or do you just need a certified cage? I ask because I believe it's a pretty common workaround 

I'm normally mr safety, but I would take any of the masks we mentioned before a NME5

14 hours ago, 1C5 said:

18 weeks. Not months. 

Correct - thanks.  

Just to throw more into the mix - the Otny X1M looks like a really good mask. Any  thoughts on this one? 

https://goalieparts.com/products/x1m

sorry to keep asking so many questions and throwing in different masks  thanks again for your patience and willingness to share your thoughts  

12 hours ago, Tr33guy said:

Correct - thanks.  

Just to throw more into the mix - the Otny X1M looks like a really good mask. Any  thoughts on this one? 

https://goalieparts.com/products/x1m

sorry to keep asking so many questions and throwing in different masks  thanks again for your patience and willingness to share your thoughts  

Tons of positive feedback on Otny products... Maltese is nice touch but shouldn't be make or break for a mask

@Tr33guy - we like questions! Keeps the conservations going and gets more info out there. No apologies needed 

I second @cwarnar that I've only heard good about OTNY. I initially didn't mention them because I don't have first hand experience with them. 

Masked Marvel and Coveted are active here and very responsive. I've purchased things thru Protechsport 

Im just that you're broadening your horizons! Unless your going "retail pro", I wouldn't look at a Bauer or CCM. 

Thanks for the feedback. Going to spend some time emailing and calling a few of these companies tomorrow.  My guess is that I will go with a custom that is just as good or better than the  retail pro masks and are within my budget. I’ll keep you posted on what we decide on. Thanks again!

On 20/10/2017 at 1:49 PM, TheGoalNet said:

All of the masks I mentioned will be custom. @Mroy31 - How long did your MM mask take?

From the day I ordered to the shipment notice was 11 weeks. June to late August, so no idea if that's a busy time for them or not. 

Should also mention that Joe extended the back of the shell by 1/2" to fit my head, so I'm not sure if a more stock size would take the same time or not. 

Edited by Mroy31

Speaking or Sportmask. Does anyone know where the hell I can buy a cat-eye for a Ricochet? For the life of me I can't find one anywhere and my cage was buckled into my nose a few weeks ago. I know I shouldn't be wearing it anymore but I don't have a backup mask nor can I find a replacement cage. Please help.

6 hours ago, Pauly35or00 said:

Speaking or Sportmask. Does anyone know where the hell I can buy a cat-eye for a Ricochet? For the life of me I can't find one anywhere and my cage was buckled into my nose a few weeks ago. I know I shouldn't be wearing it anymore but I don't have a backup mask nor can I find a replacement cage. Please help.

You’re not in Canada, eh? Tough time getting a cateye there...

I thought goalieparts.com would have Sportmask cages, but they don’t...

Sorry, mate.

Just running through the comments.

The Otny, Bandit by Masked Marvel, the model from Coveted are built by the same person.

The Otny X1 comes in an Junior/Intermediate size as does the Bandit and are at the same price point (both of which makes sense).

If ordering from the US, the Onty can be ordered through Goalieparts.com.

I've had my Onty for about month now. Not a lot of time mind you, but the quality seems to be there and it feels like a tank. Took a couple shots to it and didn't notice any thing. One was to the cage and no ringing which was nice.

On 10/24/2017 at 9:31 AM, cedric35 said:

Just running through the comments.

The Otny, Bandit by Masked Marvel, the model from Coveted are built by the same person.

The Otny X1 comes in an Junior/Intermediate size as does the Bandit and are at the same price point (both of which makes sense).

If ordering from the US, the Onty can be ordered through Goalieparts.com.

I've had my Onty for about month now. Not a lot of time mind you, but the quality seems to be there and it feels like a tank. Took a couple shots to it and didn't notice any thing. One was to the cage and no ringing which was nice.

To clarify, Ron from Coveted does not make masks for any other company other than Coveted.

Looks like sportmask sells a cat eye for the ricochet.

http://www.sportmask.com/goalie-masks/mask-accessories.html

9 hours ago, Pauly35or00 said:

Have you tried contacting Sportmask directly? I know they won't sell direct but they can tell you where to get one. Any of the US retailers should be able to order you one from Sportmask. I had to have London Source for Sports order my Razor cheater cage from Sportmask, but I don't know if they can still do that. I think they can, as Sportmask told me that although they no longer sell CSA approved Razors, they can still be ordered through any Canadian retailer who normally stocks Sportmasks.

On 10/24/2017 at 9:40 AM, Doobiesnax said:

To clarify, Ron from Coveted does not make masks for any other company other than Coveted.

Looks like sportmask sells a cat eye for the ricochet.

http://www.sportmask.com/goalie-masks/mask-accessories.html

that maybe now, but he and OTNY did collaborate.

Mold, materials and composition appear remarkably similar.

1 hour ago, parebele said:

Have you tried contacting Sportmask directly? I know they won't sell direct but they can tell you where to get one. Any of the US retailers should be able to order you one from Sportmask. I had to have London Source for Sports order my Razor cheater cage from Sportmask, but I don't know if they can still do that. I think they can, as Sportmask told me that although they no longer sell CSA approved Razors, they can still be ordered through any Canadian retailer who normally stocks Sportmasks.

Looks like I may have to try and go direct. I'm fairly certain they aren't produced anymore. I was hoping someone was going to find a diamond in the rough. Thanks for the help.

So after looking around and checking out the suggested masks and makers I think I am starting to narrow down my list. 

Masked Marvel Bandit - Elite built special addition

Sportmask T3

Otny X1M 

Coveted - their site is under construction and they have not returned emails.  I would like to know more about their masks and prices

i feel like these would be better than anything Bauer has to offer from the shelf - NME 10?

Maybe this shouldn’t be attached to this thread, no problem if it gets moved!  Thanks again to everyone for the advice

54 minutes ago, Tr33guy said:

Coveted - their site is under construction and they have not returned emails.  I would like to know more about their masks and prices

Are you on Facebook?  Matthew Gibbons is their main rep and is super fast and solid with communication

21 hours ago, Tr33guy said:

So after looking around and checking out the suggested masks and makers I think I am starting to narrow down my list. 

Masked Marvel Bandit - Elite built special addition

Sportmask T3

Otny X1M 

i feel like these would be better than anything Bauer has to offer from the shelf - NME 10?

Maybe this shouldn’t be attached to this thread, no problem if it gets moved!  Thanks again to everyone for the advice

If its no longer going to be a Sportmask specific conversation you can continue here.

• 1 month later...

After casually looking at sticks in a local hockey store, I walked by the mask section and at first glace was intrigued by the Pro series of masks by Sportmask. Instantly I was in love with it.

So after being in Protechsport after more than 10 years, I'v decided to make the switch. I don't have pictures at the moment. Mask is bought and already on it's way to the painter. It was a heavy price tag admittedly but I really like it off the shelf and I think I'm really gonna like it on the ice even more.

5 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

After casually looking at sticks in a local hockey store, I walked by the mask section and at first glace was intrigued by the Pro series of masks by Sportmask. Instantly I was in love with it.

So after being in Protechsport after more than 10 years, I'v decided to make the switch. I don't have pictures at the moment. Mask is bought and already on it's way to the painter. It was a heavy price tag admittedly but I really like it off the shelf and I think I'm really gonna like it on the ice even more.

Which model did you pick up? I have a Pro Series 2 in matte white that I really like.