Custom Passau Sticks

IPv6Freely

4 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Yea, you've been their largest fan on this website and you've had a few duds come your way. I was just curious to see where you stood now. lol

For sure, that's why I said I wanted to try to keep it in check. You don't generally hear the good, but always the bad.

And outsourcing like that definitely leads to more avenues for communication breakdown, doesn't mean it's acceptable to leave customers in the dark. Even if Passau can't get that information, transparency is far more appreciated than complete silence.

I've tried to be a cheerleader and still think the product is great, when it's made correctly LOL. I still tell other people to try them out, especially the C/A and knee pads. And even more so the glove (oh my god it's good!) but I don't think I'd buy anything else custom from them. Stock stuff (C/A and knee pads)? Definitely. But I think for my next set (whenever that is...) I'll be back in Brian's. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I've tried to be a cheerleader and still think the product is great, when it's made correctly LOL. I still tell other people to try them out, especially the C/A and knee pads. And even more so the glove (oh my god it's good!) but I don't think I'd buy anything else custom from them. Stock stuff (C/A and knee pads)? Definitely. But I think for my next set (whenever that is...) I'll be back in Brian's. 

Yea, their C/A has been on my radar for a while. But I've always been hesitant about buying gear I can't get my greasy paws on.

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Yea, their C/A has been on my radar for a while. But I've always been hesitant about buying gear I can't get my greasy paws on.

It's seriously a fantastic unit. Top notch protection at a SR price, and even better if you get the beef up kit (I didn't - I don't really need it). 

That said, I recall somebody saying the Brian's C/A can actually be ordered with different size arms and body. So my next will likely be Brian's. The Optik C/A looks fantastic. 

3 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

It's seriously a fantastic unit. Top notch protection at a SR price, and even better if you get the beef up kit (I didn't - I don't really need it). 

That said, I recall somebody saying the Brian's C/A can actually be ordered with different size arms and body. So my next will likely be Brian's. The Optik C/A looks fantastic. 

I've only ever heard good things about the Passau C/A. Aside from the wrist straps not being velcro.

The Optik does look nice. I'm not a fan of Brian's past C/A's as they're super bulky, so while the Optik looks a tons more streamlined, I need to see it in person.

15 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I've only ever heard good things about the Passau C/A. Aside from the wrist straps not being velcro.

The Optik does look nice. I'm not a fan of Brian's past C/A's as they're super bulky, so while the Optik looks a tons more streamlined, I need to see it in person.

To your second point, I agree. They always looked really bulky. And I agree the Optik looks way more streamlined.

To your first point, I actually like the wrist straps not being velcro better. 

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That sucks.  They fucked my original stick order as well.  I had ordered royal blue paddle with white Passau logo, I received royal paddle with red logos and full right.  They corrected the mistake and sent me a new 3 pack that was correct.

I wondered if it was just me but clearly it's not... You'd think a stick would be a pretty easy thing to do QA on... 

On 4/16/2018 at 9:06 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

And outsourcing like that definitely leads to more avenues for communication breakdown, doesn't mean it's acceptable to leave customers in the dark. Even if Passau can't get that information, transparency is far more appreciated than complete silence.

40 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Still nothing. 

And my quote above still stand lol

How incredibly disappointing.

I have resent in a rushed stick order just in case you wanted to replace them, but I have to let you know that the paddle cut is not an option offered anymore. for the height, that's not a problem but it would be a standard paddle cut. If you prefer not, I understand and will refund your order.

The paddle cut is the biggest reason I went with Passau sticks! And now that Warrior doesn't sell 3-packs of foam core sticks anymore, I have to either cancel the order and not get new sticks at all, or keep the order and have them change the paddle length (with the special paddle cut, I size up an inch because I hold the stick lower). The other option is to get the same size and just try to cut out the paddle myself, which I'm not especially comfortable doing. 

What a bummer... 

27 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

How incredibly disappointing.

The paddle cut is the biggest reason I went with Passau sticks! And now that Warrior doesn't sell 3-packs of foam core sticks anymore, I have to either cancel the order and not get new sticks at all, or keep the order and have them change the paddle length (with the special paddle cut, I size up an inch because I hold the stick lower). The other option is to get the same size and just try to cut out the paddle myself, which I'm not especially comfortable doing. 

What a bummer... 

and this is coming after weeks of waiting and an incorrect order. lol.

I mean, at the very least they're not being dicks about it but that level of communication from time of ordering till now is pretty poor.

41 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

and this is coming after weeks of waiting and an incorrect order. lol.

I mean, at the very least they're not being dicks about it but that level of communication from time of ordering till now is pretty poor.

I told them I'd give them an answer on what to do by tomorrow, but I can't decide. Since Warrior doesn't do 3-packs anymore I'm basically stuck with Passau, or nothing. So really the decision is either go with my normal size and paddle, go with the bigger size and try cutting the paddle, or buying nothing. 

18 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I told them I'd give them an answer on what to do by tomorrow, but I can't decide. Since Warrior doesn't do 3-packs anymore I'm basically stuck with Passau, or nothing. So really the decision is either go with my normal size and paddle, go with the bigger size and try cutting the paddle, or buying nothing. 

I mean best bet is to get your sticks in your size and use the incorrect ones as practice sticks to practice the paddle cutting before you jump to your correct sticks.

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I just used a pencil and palm sander. Mark where you want to shave it down to using your existing stick as a template... palm sand away. Foam core sands down very quickly. To finish it off I just brushed on a coat or two of spar varnish... can't even tell which were stock and which I did myself.

That said... I think my next batch of sticks will be a set of CR1s. Not because of your experience alone... my first set had an incorrect paint job, second and third sets were fine... but I just can't ignore the composite revolution. It seems Warrior has answered all of my complaints with original composites.

3 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Pretty sure Passau uses the same factory that Northstar is sourcing from.  They also produced the Twigz line when Rob Laurie was at Goaliemonkey.

Maybe reach out to Rob on GGSU and ask him if he can have the factory do the paddle cut.  You might have to send a stick in for them to copy.

3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I mean best bet is to get your sticks in your size and use the incorrect ones as practice sticks to practice the paddle cutting before you jump to your correct sticks.

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

I just used a pencil and palm sander. Mark where you want to shave it down to using your existing stick as a template... palm sand away. Foam core sands down very quickly. To finish it off I just brushed on a coat or two of spar varnish... can't even tell which were stock and which I did myself.

That said... I think my next batch of sticks will be a set of CR1s. Not because of your experience alone... my first set had an incorrect paint job, second and third sets were fine... but I just can't ignore the composite revolution. It seems Warrior has answered all of my complaints with original composites.

45 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Pretty sure Passau uses the same factory that Northstar is sourcing from.  They also produced the Twigz line when Rob Laurie was at Goaliemonkey.

Maybe reach out to Rob on GGSU and ask him if he can have the factory do the paddle cut.  You might have to send a stick in for them to copy.

All three of these are sound options.  I wouldn't say you have to pick one or get nothing.  You should be ok doing it yourself.  Like Coop said, practice on the shitty sticks.  If you don't feel confident enough, see what Rob can do with North Star.

On 4/26/2018 at 12:54 PM, BadAngle41 said:

What type of palm sander would be best? These are the ones I'm considering:

image.thumb.png.9c99bcc18677852404da769797a47dd9.pngimage.thumb.png.30e2d7a3a9ceeb4937bc57fded7bfca1.png

15 hours ago, old but slow said:

looking good. Nice job. Add a little nail polish, spar varnish or urethane to seal it up and you're good to go.

Is that really necessary if I tape over it?

13 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

I use the circular palm sander, but Dremel is great too! Nice work!!

Thanks! I was surprised how easy it was. Now that I'm confident I can do it myself I might as well go ahead and get those Passau sticks re-ordered. I considered going Warrior but they don't do 3-packs anymore, and even in the 6-packs they don't do outlines on the logos anymore :( 

36 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Is that really necessary if I tape over it?

Not necessary if you sand well and tape over... just seals up the exposed ends of fiberglass reinforcement if they're on there is all.

38 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Thanks! I was surprised how easy it was. Now that I'm confident I can do it myself I might as well go ahead and get those Passau sticks re-ordered. I considered going Warrior but they don't do 3-packs anymore, and even in the 6-packs they don't do outlines on the logos anymore :( 

Yeah it's not bad at all. I'm hoping I get the same confidence from @bunnyman666's advice on shaving my pads down. You should have Passau re-order those sticks for you. I think the only other stick I'd look to getting instead of these foam cores are the CR1s... but I also use a stock grip etc. Being able to get 3 packs is nice and I didn't realize Warrior phased them out on all but CR1 and logo options are pretty limited.

Archived