DaveART - The Man, The Myth, The Legend

TheGoalNet

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Welcome @BetweenThePipes31 - I hope your first post doesn't get chirped too hard by the DaveArt haters. 

My favorite 3...

1. Monster mask at the top

2. Caps for Copely 

3. New of today Stars mask for Bishop

My least favorite list would be an entirely different list 

Haha you and me both

I've definitely always been more of a fan of simpler/clean designs like Stephane Bergeron from Griff, Corey Crawford's masks or Roberto Luongo's are always stunning in my opinion.  But i really appreciate DaveArt's portraits and his technical detail is AMAZING. 

Ben Bishops series of masks from DaveArt have been awesome lately. Really like what he's been doing with the glow in the dark stuff.

3 hours ago, BetweenThePipes31 said:

Great Article! Love Dave's work. The PAC-MAN themed mask he did for John Gibson on the Ducks a few years ago is one of my favorites by him for sure, looked really good from the stands too.  I can definitely agree that some of the masks Dave paints are lacking some composition, but i mean.... if you (or your apprentices) were producing that many masks per year, there's going to be some that aren't as good as others. 

I really wonder how much of the artwork his apprentices actually do compared to just doing finishing work for him etc.. , seems like an awful lot for one guy to be producing, even if he is just doing primarily the artwork.

Edit: Hi, been lurking here a little while, finally decided to make an account. Love the site, always really informative and great topics.

You know what? You are obviously in the majority who likes DaveArt paint jobs, and that is GREAT!!! 

This is why G’d invented chocolate, vanilla, pistachio and mint choco chip ice creams and the ability to get a scoop of EACH in the SAME sundae.

Dave has great artistic talent, but as pointed out ad nauseam, there's just too much going on. Recently, more of his masks like this latest Andersen example have cut back on some of the over-complicated designs, but it is still not the majority by far. One does not choose DaveART for a muted, simple design.

That being said, my favourite of his 'trademarked' painting methods is "Invisible Wiz Tech" as seen in the Andersen mask post. It sure does take an invisible wiz to come up with these designs...

5 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I wonder how sore Dave’s shoulder is from patting himself on the back?

LOL!!!!!

I still have no idea what 'Invisible wiz tech' is. And as far as 4D effect goes, you can feel the edges of the design? We always called that bad tape edges and used extra clearcoat and wetsanding to bury them so you couldn't feel them.

2 hours ago, parebele said:

LOL!!!!!

I still have no idea what 'Invisible wiz tech' is. And as far as 4D effect goes, you can feel the edges of the design? We always called that bad tape edges and used extra clearcoat and wetsanding to bury them so you couldn't feel them.

I had my KrapArt thread on GSBB, and I think DaveArt has many of the same gimmics as my joke thread had.

BTW- Jack Krap still has evaded full prosecution.

On 10/30/2017 at 4:50 PM, TheGoalNet said:

I am fine everyone sharing their personal opinions on this topic... I love how polarizing DaveArt is!!!

but please let Jack Krap RIP. He was a brave soldier and I think everyone can remember his work fondly... without him rising from the grave 

Many of us have a paint job inspired by Jack’s “White Cows Eating Mashmallows in a Snow Storm” and “Ninjas in the Night Blindfolded” that Jack Krap came up with first! Just remember that!

My version of “White Cows Eating Marshmallows in a Snow Storm”: 

6455B2A7-842B-4643-8A8C-43767A4CD703.jpeg

On 10/30/2017 at 6:30 PM, bunnyman666 said:

Many of us have a paint job inspired by Jack’s “White Cows Eating Mashmallows in a Snow Storm” and “Ninjas in the Night Blindfolded” that Jack Krap came up with first! Just remember that!

My version of “White Cows Eating Marshmallows in a Snow Storm”: 

No, no, no, you just copied my mask motive :D !

Archived