Warrior Ritual CR1 Goal Stick

IPv6Freely

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

I love that you assume I don't have an open mind just because I don't like a product you like. I don't like the way composites vibrate. If somebody could make one that didn't, I would be all over it. But the cost increase is just not justified in performance, either. 

Also, LOL at your last comment. 

Haha, I don't blame you for not liking composites!

I just think your review would be semi similar between a Warrior, Bauer, CCM, etc. The reality is that you don't like the product category and that's okay. Maybe someday someone will make that perfect composite for you.

In the same fashion,  I can't ever see @bunnyman666 giving a cowling free skate a good review either! it's all good 

I am happy to see some feedback from people who like a composite stick. It paints a picture  of the CR1 for people who like composites that haven't tired a CR1, myself included. 

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

I just think your review would be semi similar between a Warrior, Bauer, CCM, etc. The reality is that you don't like the product category and that's okay. Maybe someday someone will make that perfect composite for you.

In the same fashion,  I can't ever see @bunnyman666 giving a cowling free skate a good review either! it's all good 

I am happy to see some feedback from people who like a composite stick. It paints a picture  of the CR1 for people who like composites that haven't tired a CR1, myself included. 

Right, but to suggest my review isn't relevant because the result was not liking it is a bit ridiculous. 

56 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Right, but to suggest my review isn't relevant because the result was not liking it is a bit ridiculous. 

Not really. You don't like composites, a review on any composite stick by you isn't exactly devoid of bias and a fair review of the stick. 

It would be the same as me doing a review on an Apple products. I don't like Apple products at all. I wouldn't be a fair reviewer by any means. 

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I am not saying it's irrelevant. I am saying that I am more curious to hear the opinion of someone who likes composite sticks. That would more align with myself and be more useful to me personally. Someone who is skeptical of composites and loyal to foam cores may love your review. It may tell them this is not the stick to convert them.  

For me, it's tough to discern between your issue being specific to the Warrior stick or composites in general because I know you don't like any composite. Again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your opinion or review. 

I just feel that that the opinion of someone likes composites and uses them regularly would be relevant to myself and anyone who is a composite fan. 

As with any product, I want as many data points as possible to help the readers form educated opinions. People will naturally gravitate to some reviews and reviewers more than others. This was the only data point for a long time on this product. We need more data points and more views on it. 

Just like it will be great when we get more reviews on Optik gear or True 6.0 sticks. More opinions = better info 

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Not really. You don't like composites, a review on any composite stick by you isn't exactly devoid of bias and a fair review of the stick. 

It would be the same as me doing a review on an Apple products. I don't like Apple products at all. I wouldn't be a fair reviewer by any means. 

The Apple / Google analogy is a great non hockey example!!!

Apple is probably the more polarizing company on earth. I don't blame people for hating Apple, but I have a house full of their stuff and would be in even deeper if my wife liked tech... Can you say HomePod?!?! 

But if someone is a loyal Android user and says iPhone X sucks and then I hear someone who loves their iPhone 6 say iPhone X is the best, I would trust the opinion of the iPhone 6 user more. It more aligns with my view points and anyone who likes Apple products. It will also let the Android people know this is not the iPhone that gets them out of Android. 

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

My review was trying to see if somebody had made a composite that was worth switching to. The marketing for it pushed me to give it a chance. I guess if somebody thinks that's not useful then so be it. 

It's not that it's not useful! To fully paint the picture though, I want to hear from someone who likes composites! 

5 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I wanna try composites, I don't wanna pay the price for one though.  The only composite I ever used was a Sherwood RM9 and it wasn't that lightweight.  Granted that stick is probably circa 2011-12?

I was the same.  Got my first 1S as a discounted pro return from the Hockey Shop.  There is also a good deal from them on the Sherwood T120... 2 for $199 CAD

On 2/24/2018 at 1:02 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Some people are just not going to like new tech. At least @IPv6Freely tried composite sticks and I tried cowling-free before denouncing them. I liked cowling-free UNTIL I couldn’t put weight on my foot after a hard shot. I loved the attack angle, the height, and the nimble nature of the cowling-free skate. Taking that shot turned me against them. I believe they will get better. 

Actually- people that are notoriously anti- whatever are EXTREMELY useful to the review process. I predict that @IPv6Freely will end up trying a composite that he likes one day. If someone is claiming “lower vibration composite sticks”, then a person like @IPv6Freely should DEFINITELY be involved in reviews. If a company can turn a renowned composite stick hater, then the R&D staff FINALLY did their job, especially if they have a well-known prejudice AGAINST composite sticks

Believe it or not, I was a “steel is real” guy for bike frames. Then I saw the light...

Everyone's feedback is valuable, you just need to consider the source. Everyone's feedback will have some kind of bias to it. I believe IPv6 did feel vibration on the CR1 and didn't like it. However, for others like Coop, it was a non-issue. I have not used a composite stick myself, so my guess based on the feedback I read here, is that there is a little more vibration than foamcore, but probably not too big of a deal for most. Maybe IPv6 is just more sensitive to it, or unwilling to adapt/change, nothing wrong with that either. I'm sure he isn't the only one in that camp.

19 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

My review was trying to see if somebody had made a composite that was worth switching to. The marketing for it pushed me to give it a chance. I guess if somebody thinks that's not useful then so be it. 

In all fairness, the review on MSH came across as much more objective than your comments on this board.

We've all tried things that were designed to be better at this or that and found that simply wasn't the case in our OPINION.  Its all about personal experience and preference.  Its refreshing sometimes to hear people say that something isn't all they thought it was going to be than sit there and gush over it after 5 uses.  I have a new Vapor 1X chesty that I've been using for 2 weeks and I can't decide if I like it or not..:baller:  One day I like it, the next I'm ready to toss it out the window while I'm driving down the highway, all depends on the experience that day.

I had quite the opposite road to use composites.  I was loyal to Montreal/Warrior foam cores and even more so with the custom Passau's I got (Which @IPv6Freely bought one of).

The price and the constant durability issues moved me away from composites the last few years.   After reading many of the reviews on the 1S, I figured if I wanted to try one, might as well go with the top one on the market.  I have had zero issues with vibration or durability thru 20-25 skates.  So much so I was able to grab a second used one for a great price.  

I would love to grab a CR1 and see how it compares head to head with my 1S.  A perfect example of what we are discussing is also happening in the pros right now... Looking at how many guys are moving to composite... The CR1 has blown up with guys testing them and moving to them in games.  Some guys will always refuse to move on from foam cores (or wood in Lundy's Case), but many see the benefit to the lighter composite options out there.

But I think their feelings on what they're comfortable with or what they superstitiously feel they can't give up shouldn't hamper giving opinions... that being said, when you do a review or a comparison you need to be objective, which when you're loyal to a product, can be very difficult.  

1 hour ago, jayluv54 said:

In all fairness, the review on MSH came across as much more objective than your comments on this board.

We've all tried things that were designed to be better at this or that and found that simply wasn't the case in our OPINION.  Its all about personal experience and preference.  Its refreshing sometimes to hear people say that something isn't all they thought it was going to be than sit there and gush over it after 5 uses.  I have a new Vapor 1X chesty that I've been using for 2 weeks and I can't decide if I like it or not..:baller:  One day I like it, the next I'm ready to toss it out the window while I'm driving down the highway, all depends on the experience that day.

Anxious to read the review on the 1X. I've found myself checking it out as I get my skates sharpened... can't decide what I think about it.

I've never really done reviews before but I really haven't seen much on these, so I am considering it.  All I can say right now is it strangely mobile, yet stiff at the same time.  It reminds of my Warrior G3's...light, very functional, but stiff and "edgy" at the same time.

5 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

I've never really done reviews before but I really haven't seen much on these, so I am considering it.  All I can say right now is it strangely mobile, yet stiff at the same time.  It reminds of my Warrior G3's...light, very functional, but stiff and "edgy" at the same time.

If its a large... I'd take it off your hands

On 2/24/2018 at 2:02 PM, TheGoalNet said:

When my new ones come in I may be able to send you one to try out if they survive till than lol (not durability problem more of anger problem that leads to them breaking lol!)

15 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Some people are just not going to like new tech. At least @IPv6Freely tried composite sticks and I tried cowling-free before denouncing them. I liked cowling-free UNTIL I couldn’t put weight on my foot after a hard shot. I loved the attack angle, the height, and the nimble nature of the cowling-free skate. Taking that shot turned me against them. I believe they will get better. 

Actually- people that are notoriously anti- whatever are EXTREMELY useful to the review process. I predict that @IPv6Freely will end up trying a composite that he likes one day. If someone is claiming “lower vibration composite sticks”, then a person like @IPv6Freely should DEFINITELY be involved in reviews. If a company can turn a renowned composite stick hater, then the R&D staff FINALLY did their job, especially if they have a well-known prejudice AGAINST composite sticks

Believe it or not, I was a “steel is real” guy for bike frames. Then I saw the light...

As long as you don't think I'm a person who isn't going to like new tech. Personally, I want as much new tech in my bag as possible. 

I agree with your second paragraph completely. I literally only asked Warrior for a demo stick because of the marketing of their anti-vibration tech because that's the only issue I have with composites. It ended up not being any better (or not much better) than the previous ones I've tried. So I would totally agree that my reviews are extremely valuable to somebody who isn't sure about switching.

5 hours ago, estogoalie said:

Everyone's feedback is valuable, you just need to consider the source. Everyone's feedback will have some kind of bias to it. I believe IPv6 did feel vibration on the CR1 and didn't like it. However, for others like Coop, it was a non-issue. I have not used a composite stick myself, so my guess based on the feedback I read here, is that there is a little more vibration than foamcore, but probably not too big of a deal for most. Maybe IPv6 is just more sensitive to it, or unwilling to adapt/change, nothing wrong with that either. I'm sure he isn't the only one in that camp.

It was a combination of "nope, this still vibrates like the other composites I've used" and "maybe I could get used to it, but why would I WANT to get used to something that costs 3x more?" Not that price matters to me - if I feel like it's worth the money, I'm happy to spend it, but it seems silly to me to spend way more on something I like less. 

1 hour ago, jayluv54 said:

It's more the feeling that my opinions are being dismissed because I didn't like the product, especially on this site. It feels hypocritical. 

12 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

As long as you don't think I'm a person who isn't going to like new tech. Personally, I want as much new tech in my bag as possible. 

I agree with your second paragraph completely. I literally only asked Warrior for a demo stick because of the marketing of their anti-vibration tech because that's the only issue I have with composites. It ended up not being any better (or not much better) than the previous ones I've tried. So I would totally agree that my reviews are extremely valuable to somebody who isn't sure about switching.

It was a combination of "nope, this still vibrates like the other composites I've used" and "maybe I could get used to it, but why would I WANT to get used to something that costs 3x more?" Not that price matters to me - if I feel like it's worth the money, I'm happy to spend it, but it seems silly to me to spend way more on something I like less. 

A techy bloke who doesn’t like new tech is an oxymoron. I know you dig new tech. I said that for the sake of argument only. The fact you gave it a chance is actually a good thing!

1 minute ago, bunnyman666 said:

A techy bloke who doesn’t like new tech is an oxymoron. I know you dig new tech. I said that for the sake of argument only. The fact you gave it a chance is actually a good thing!

You're right though, there will always be that guy who uses leather straps, a boot strap, and lace toe ties and says "it works just fine."

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'll play:

I'm a huge composite stick slappy.  After years of trying various Bauer composites (Warrior and CCM were too heavy) I read such good things about the CR1 that I had to try it.  I'm coming from a Bauer TotalOne NXG and Reactor 6000 with a P31 pattern, and the Warrior Bishop pattern appears to be nearly identical so that's what I went with.  

I enjoy composites for two reasons.  The weight obviously, but for me their also cheaper.   I play the puck far more than the average goalie, and found that foam core sticks would lose their "pop" after a while.  They still stopped pucks just fine, but I lost velocity on my clearing attempts, and my passes just weren't quite as crisp and accurate.  I've got about a dozen old foam cores in my basement that still seem structurally sound, but just don't fit my game any more.  Composites may also lose a little umph, but they do so at a much more gradual rate and I've never felt the need to junk a stick because of how it affects my passing/shooting.  

Given that I hadn't used a 1S, the weight difference didn't feel THAT noticeable, but the Warrior is definitely slightly heavier than the NXG that I prefer to use in games.  If I'd been able to bring myself to pay the money for a 1S this might have been a deal-breaker for me, as the biggest reason the NXG is my gamer and the Reactor 6k is my backup is the difference in weight between them.   However, I never bought a 1S and the RC1 is close enough to the NXG that the advantages outweigh the minor weight penalty.  

As far as playing the puck goes, it feels as though the CR1 does offer a minor increase in velocity.  The added stiffness that Warrior claims the CR1 offers manifests itself for me in a slight uptick in my accuracy.  It feels like my shots/passes get to where I'm aiming slightly faster and with slightly more accuracy.   I also notice fewer misplays when I rush a pass.  All of these differences are fairly minor, and could be explained by the fact that my CR1 is brand new, whereas the NXG has been used for several seasons.  There may be enough wear on the older stick to explain a minor loss of velocity and accuracy.  In terms of vibration, the CR1 again is a minor improvement over the Bauer sticks I've used previously.  

The only minor con I would mention is that I've had to pull the butt cap out a couple times to shake out pieces of epoxy that have been rattling around in the shaft.  The first piece was small, the second was almost 2" long by 1/2" wide.  Both appeared to be leftover epoxy from the manufacturing process, and so far haven't created any issues beyond a little minor concern about durability.  The stick has held up to use 2 times a week since I bought it at the end of January, so at this point there have been no issues on that front.  

All things considered I feel like the CR1 line offers all of the benefits of at least the NXG line from Bauer, at a price-tag $50 lower than Bauer charged for that stick.  Given the $100 difference in pricepoints between the 1S and CR1 it's safe to say that the Warrior product will be my first choice.  The only issue I foresee is that the Bishop pattern doesn't appear to be widely available.   I found mine at a Pure Hockey in Detroit, but Pure only stocks the Quick pattern online, and Perani's (local option) is the same story.  Still, I've got enough P31 Bauer's sitting around to get me through any occasional dry spells.  Factoring in minor manufacturing issues, minor weight penalties, excellent overall performance and a very reasonable pricepoint I'd give the stick a 9/10, and I'm looking forward to using these for quite some time.  

15 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

Ok, I'll play:

I'm a huge composite stick slappy.  After years of trying various Bauer composites (Warrior and CCM were too heavy) I read such good things about the CR1 that I had to try it.  I'm coming from a Bauer TotalOne NXG and Reactor 6000 with a P31 pattern, and the Warrior Bishop pattern appears to be nearly identical so that's what I went with.  

I enjoy composites for two reasons.  The weight obviously, but for me their also cheaper.   I play the puck far more than the average goalie, and found that foam core sticks would lose their "pop" after a while.  They still stopped pucks just fine, but I lost velocity on my clearing attempts, and my passes just weren't quite as crisp and accurate.  I've got about a dozen old foam cores in my basement that still seem structurally sound, but just don't fit my game any more.  Composites may also lose a little umph, but they do so at a much more gradual rate and I've never felt the need to junk a stick because of how it affects my passing/shooting.  

Given that I hadn't used a 1S, the weight difference didn't feel THAT noticeable, but the Warrior is definitely slightly heavier than the NXG that I prefer to use in games.  If I'd been able to bring myself to pay the money for a 1S this might have been a deal-breaker for me, as the biggest reason the NXG is my gamer and the Reactor 6k is my backup is the difference in weight between them.   However, I never bought a 1S and the RC1 is close enough to the NXG that the advantages outweigh the minor weight penalty.  

As far as playing the puck goes, it feels as though the CR1 does offer a minor increase in velocity.  The added stiffness that Warrior claims the CR1 offers manifests itself for me in a slight uptick in my accuracy.  It feels like my shots/passes get to where I'm aiming slightly faster and with slightly more accuracy.   I also notice fewer misplays when I rush a pass.  All of these differences are fairly minor, and could be explained by the fact that my CR1 is brand new, whereas the NXG has been used for several seasons.  There may be enough wear on the older stick to explain a minor loss of velocity and accuracy.  In terms of vibration, the CR1 again is a minor improvement over the Bauer sticks I've used previously.  

The only minor con I would mention is that I've had to pull the butt cap out a couple times to shake out pieces of epoxy that have been rattling around in the shaft.  The first piece was small, the second was almost 2" long by 1/2" wide.  Both appeared to be leftover epoxy from the manufacturing process, and so far haven't created any issues beyond a little minor concern about durability.  The stick has held up to use 2 times a week since I bought it at the end of January, so at this point there have been no issues on that front.  

All things considered I feel like the CR1 line offers all of the benefits of at least the NXG line from Bauer, at a price-tag $50 lower than Bauer charged for that stick.  Given the $100 difference in pricepoints between the 1S and CR1 it's safe to say that the Warrior product will be my first choice.  The only issue I foresee is that the Bishop pattern doesn't appear to be widely available.   I found mine at a Pure Hockey in Detroit, but Pure only stocks the Quick pattern online, and Perani's (local option) is the same story.  Still, I've got enough P31 Bauer's sitting around to get me through any occasional dry spells.  Factoring in minor manufacturing issues, minor weight penalties, excellent overall performance and a very reasonable pricepoint I'd give the stick a 9/10, and I'm looking forward to using these for quite some time.  

Good review.

Archived