Jump to content
IPv6Freely

Warrior Ritual CR1 Goal Stick

Recommended Posts

Nice write up @Puckstopper.  If you can't find the Bishop curve, go Mrazek.  Its a wedge style curve that I think is the best Warrior has to offer

Screen-Shot-2018-02-28-at-2_03.22-PM.thumb.png.95a5ea4b07df6b035989b35de9c86b83.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm currently using a P31 Bauer 1X, are the warrior CR1 25" sticks the same paddle length?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2018 at 3:23 PM, Puckstopper said:

Ok, I'll play:

I'm a huge composite stick slappy.  After years of trying various Bauer composites (Warrior and CCM were too heavy) I read such good things about the CR1 that I had to try it.  I'm coming from a Bauer TotalOne NXG and Reactor 6000 with a P31 pattern, and the Warrior Bishop pattern appears to be nearly identical so that's what I went with.  

I enjoy composites for two reasons.  The weight obviously, but for me their also cheaper.   I play the puck far more than the average goalie, and found that foam core sticks would lose their "pop" after a while.  They still stopped pucks just fine, but I lost velocity on my clearing attempts, and my passes just weren't quite as crisp and accurate.  I've got about a dozen old foam cores in my basement that still seem structurally sound, but just don't fit my game any more.  Composites may also lose a little umph, but they do so at a much more gradual rate and I've never felt the need to junk a stick because of how it affects my passing/shooting.  

Given that I hadn't used a 1S, the weight difference didn't feel THAT noticeable, but the Warrior is definitely slightly heavier than the NXG that I prefer to use in games.  If I'd been able to bring myself to pay the money for a 1S this might have been a deal-breaker for me, as the biggest reason the NXG is my gamer and the Reactor 6k is my backup is the difference in weight between them.   However, I never bought a 1S and the RC1 is close enough to the NXG that the advantages outweigh the minor weight penalty.  

 As far as playing the puck goes, it feels as though the CR1 does offer a minor increase in velocity.  The added stiffness that Warrior claims the CR1 offers manifests itself for me in a slight uptick in my accuracy.  It feels like my shots/passes get to where I'm aiming slightly faster and with slightly more accuracy.   I also notice fewer misplays when I rush a pass.  All of these differences are fairly minor, and could be explained by the fact that my CR1 is brand new, whereas the NXG has been used for several seasons.  There may be enough wear on the older stick to explain a minor loss of velocity and accuracy.  In terms of vibration, the CR1 again is a minor improvement over the Bauer sticks I've used previously.  

The only minor con I would mention is that I've had to pull the butt cap out a couple times to shake out pieces of epoxy that have been rattling around in the shaft.  The first piece was small, the second was almost 2" long by 1/2" wide.  Both appeared to be leftover epoxy from the manufacturing process, and so far haven't created any issues beyond a little minor concern about durability.  The stick has held up to use 2 times a week since I bought it at the end of January, so at this point there have been no issues on that front.  

All things considered I feel like the CR1 line offers all of the benefits of at least the NXG line from Bauer, at a price-tag $50 lower than Bauer charged for that stick.  Given the $100 difference in pricepoints between the 1S and CR1 it's safe to say that the Warrior product will be my first choice.  The only issue I foresee is that the Bishop pattern doesn't appear to be widely available.   I found mine at a Pure Hockey in Detroit, but Pure only stocks the Quick pattern online, and Perani's (local option) is the same story.  Still, I've got enough P31 Bauer's sitting around to get me through any occasional dry spells.  Factoring in minor manufacturing issues, minor weight penalties, excellent overall performance and a very reasonable pricepoint I'd give the stick a 9/10, and I'm looking forward to using these for quite some time.  

Thank you for this.

I've been wanting to try a composite.  The last one I used was a TPS XHale2 with a Hasek curve (yuck).
I would like to try a Bauer 1S, but can't get over the awful curve on that one either.

I've never been one of those guys that breaks sticks - like you, most of my sticks just die over time.  Lose their pop, delaminate, whatever.

I think I'll budget enough to get myself one next month...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Thank you for this.

I've been wanting to try a composite.  The last one I used was a TPS XHale2 with a Hasek curve (yuck).
I would like to try a Bauer 1S, but can't get over the awful curve on that one either.

I've never been one of those guys that breaks sticks - like you, most of my sticks just die over time.  Lose their pop, delaminate, whatever.

I think I'll budget enough to get myself one next month...

Does that mean you'll get a CR1?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Does that mean you'll get a CR1?

Depends, can I depend on you for a cash donation to buy the stick and do a review "for scientific purposes"? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered a custom 3 pack going with a Bishop this time I’m over the super round toe as I had a custom 3 pack of mrazek prior. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, thebigm said:

I ordered a custom 3 pack going with a Bishop this time I’m over the super round toe as I had a custom 3 pack of mrazek prior. 

How did those 3 hold up? I had someone order an all red 3 pack and I was supposed to get one. Sad to be settling for the stock! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I still have 2 I got them prior to the customizer launching! My second has a raddle sound in the shaft but I think its a loose fibre. And the last one is new. I have been using them till they are broken. The blade broke on my first one but that was partially due to me though. 

Edited by thebigm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try popping the plug out of the end of your stick and shaking it out.  If yours is anything like mine it's just some extra epoxy that broke off and is rattling around in the shaft.   I've had that happen twice now, but haven't been too worried.  Both times the chunk of material that fell out looked like a blob of extra epoxy, not anything structurally relevant.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Puckstopper said:

Try popping the plug out of the end of your stick and shaking it out.  If yours is anything like mine it's just some extra epoxy that broke off and is rattling around in the shaft.   I've had that happen twice now, but haven't been too worried.  Both times the chunk of material that fell out looked like a blob of extra epoxy, not anything structurally relevant.  

I am fully aware of that trick :P we do that for our player sticks here!  I have done it a couple times and nothing came out so I just stopped caring lol.  I know it doesn't affect the stick just a slight rattle sound occasionally 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll start a new thread for my review in a month or whenever it’s ready... but here’s some pics 

286E2A82-842A-4166-BDC8-7D16D6300F43.jpeg

86939C78-52D3-4E77-8731-1620DEAC79C0.jpeg

4B7777BF-8790-4614-87BD-537605F1EF6D.jpeg

E77C6FA2-C9F6-4FE6-9D69-AE56924EE3F7.jpeg

4BD1D36E-705C-4460-A734-089A562E1FC1.jpeg

869525B1-0044-4904-9D7D-E0C1DED5986D.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know where to find a Warrior CR1 with a Rask heel curve? I haven't had any luck online. If I can't find one, I may settle on testing a CR1 with a Mrazek wedge curve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BauerHockey47 said:

Does anyone know where to find a Warrior CR1 with a Rask heel curve? I haven't had any luck online. If I can't find one, I may settle on testing a CR1 with a Mrazek wedge curve.

Currently, we do not offer the Rask pattern in composite.  Most Rask pattern goalies have found the Mrazek to be a great switch.  Similar rebound control attributes with the openness which also plays close for puckhandling and shooting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello! Curious if anyone is regularly using the CR3 and has any thoughts? The reviews on GM are somewhat generic and short term. I don't mind paying for CR1 and eventually will, but I was thinking of getting a CR3 to use as a backup to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Kirk3190 said:

Currently, we do not offer the Rask pattern in composite.  Most Rask pattern goalies have found the Mrazek to be a great switch.  Similar rebound control attributes with the openness which also plays close for puckhandling and shooting.

Thanks for the response; that is very helpful. I guess I will give a Mrazek CR1 a try before I decide which custom Warrior sticks to order (CR1 or foam core).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Taco said:

Hello! Curious if anyone is regularly using the CR3 and has any thoughts? The reviews on GM are somewhat generic and short term. I don't mind paying for CR1 and eventually will, but I was thinking of getting a CR3 to use as a backup to that.

Love it! Went for a CR3 in attempt to get out of foam core and not wanting to break the bank in case I didn't enjoy it.

Shoots well, shot vibrations are a non-issue for me and rebounds off the paddle/blade pop into corners no problem. 

I've had it for a couple of months now playing 4-5x per week and it is just starting to break down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BauerHockey47 said:

Thanks for the response; that is very helpful. I guess I will give a Mrazek CR1 a try before I decide which custom Warrior sticks to order (CR1 or foam core).

That’s the model I’m currently using 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

That’s the model I’m currently using 

And I'm looking forward to your review. The recent NHL hype really has me tempted to give it a shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BauerHockey47 said:

And I'm looking forward to your review. The recent NHL hype really has me tempted to give it a shot.

Just do it.

It's the best priced pro composite on the market, around $60-70 more than a single foam core these days.
No more splinters or delaminated shafts, more consistent flex when playing the puck, and a very satisfying "crack" sound when the puck hits the blade or paddle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Just do it.

It's the best priced pro composite on the market, around $60-70 more than a single foam core these days.
No more splinters or delaminated shafts, more consistent flex when playing the puck, and a very satisfying "crack" sound when the puck hits the blade or paddle.

When you put it that way I'm overcome with this feeling of... what would you call it... stupidity... for picking up a new set of Passau twigs. Perhaps I'll treat myself to some CR1s before the Fall/Winter sessions start up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Just do it.

It's the best priced pro composite on the market, around $60-70 more than a single foam core these days.
No more splinters or delaminated shafts, more consistent flex when playing the puck, and a very satisfying "crack" sound when the puck hits the blade or paddle.

Gosh, this makes the temptation even worse. I may cave if I see one when I go to get my skates baked and sharpened this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

When you put it that way I'm overcome with this feeling of... what would you call it... stupidity... for picking up a new set of Passau twigs. Perhaps I'll treat myself to some CR1s before the Fall/Winter sessions start up. 

1 hour ago, BauerHockey47 said:

Gosh, this makes the temptation even worse. I may cave if I see one when I go to get my skates baked and sharpened this weekend.

I used to mess with my players after warmups.  I'd do one of two things: bank shot pucks off the boards and into the puck bag, or sauce soft passes at their butts when they go to pick them up

I can't anymore because everything zips off the blade too hard!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2018 at 5:40 PM, BauerHockey47 said:

And I'm looking forward to your review. The recent NHL hype really has me tempted to give it a shot.

made me cave :baller: Warrior / @Kirk3190  - 1 TGN - 0!!!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2018 at 8:05 AM, Aquilzz said:

Love it! Went for a CR3 in attempt to get out of foam core and not wanting to break the bank in case I didn't enjoy it.

Shoots well, shot vibrations are a non-issue for me and rebounds off the paddle/blade pop into corners no problem. 

I've had it for a couple of months now playing 4-5x per week and it is just starting to break down.

I'll second this.  I picked one up a few months ago and it's easily been the best stick I've used it years and I tend to stay in this price range.  It's light, I find it vibrates on shots much less than most mid-rage composites and it's held up very well durability-wise. I've got Mrazek profile and I've had zero issues with puckhandling.  My ideal stick before this had been the Sher-wood 9950 vintage foam cores but as those got harder to find and stupidly expensive, I'd dabbled with the mid-range Bauer/Sher-wood comps, Warrior foam-cores and some old TPS comps I found on clearence.  CR3 has easily been the best.  Whatever Warrior is doing, it's gold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×