#GoalieCrowd Stick Height Database

TheGoalNet

49 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

This thread isn't especially useful unless you're using actual measurements like we were TRYING to determine in another thread (though that one was quickly de-railed too by people posting manufacturer sizes instead of real sizes)

It’s just another datapoint. Maybe people will see that lots of other users their size are using a taller or shorter paddle. Might inspire them to mix it up and try something new. 

I’ve found different stick heights, patterns, and lies help set my hands better in my stance or better control in the butterfly. 

I like this thread and that’s why I started it 

Also, if your not into a thread, why bother commenting? It’s not adding value. Skip over to the next one where your knowledge or opinion can add some value and foster great conversation. 

There’s tons of threads that I think are silly, but there’s 600 members and around 100,000 hits a month. I realize the other members might be into a thread.

Would I be helpful if I chimed in “I don’t think it’s helpful when people post videos of them self playing” or “who cares about what jersey you like wear in pick up?”

13 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

My CR1 25” is a lie 14 and feels a little short. Crazy how much the lie can impact things and that the industry has basically gone away from discussing that at Retail. Overall, CR1 seems like a solid stick 

Even though both sticks are variations of the Price curve, the Warrior plays almost 1" shorter because of the differences in lies. 

I have noticed this as well.  Lie of the stick used to be much more important when the blade to paddle transition was a much more pronounced angle _/  whereas nowadays sticks at the retail level have a much much more rounded heel (The exception being most Warrior and some Vaughn sticks).  However, when you look at many of the sticks the pros are using in games, you can see there is not as much rounding of the heel as there is on retail sticks.
The rounding of the heel makes the lie of the stick much less relevant as you can rock the stick blade just a little, change the lie thus the height of the paddle without changing how much blade actually touches the ice.

I prefer a stick with a more pronounced/defined blade to paddle transition.  They are getting harder to find at the retail level.

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

It’s just another datapoint. Maybe people will see that lots of other users their size are using a taller or shorter paddle. Might inspire them to mix it up and try something new. 

I’ve found different stick heights, patterns, and lies help set my hands better in my stance or better control in the butterfly. 

I like this thread and that’s why I started it 

Also, if your not into a thread, why bother commenting? It’s not adding value. Skip over to the next one where your knowledge or opinion can add some value and foster great conversation. 

There’s tons of threads that I think are silly, but there’s 600 members and around 100,000 hits a month. I realize the other members might be into a thread.

Would I be helpful if I chimed in “I don’t think it’s helpful when people post videos of them self playing” or “who cares about what jersey you like wear in pick up?”

I guess I was just hoping we could create something useful that actually adds value rather than just continuing a pointless thread. 

1 hour ago, Naz said:

I have noticed this as well.  Lie of the stick used to be much more important when the blade to paddle transition was a much more pronounced angle _/  whereas nowadays sticks at the retail level have a much much more rounded heel (The exception being most Warrior and some Vaughn sticks).  However, when you look at many of the sticks the pros are using in games, you can see there is not as much rounding of the heel as there is on retail sticks.
The rounding of the heel makes the lie of the stick much less relevant as you can rock the stick blade just a little, change the lie thus the height of the paddle without changing how much blade actually touches the ice.

I prefer a stick with a more pronounced/defined blade to paddle transition.  They are getting harder to find at the retail level.

@Kirk3190 - Was nice enough to take a lot of time offline and review with me. 

The more and more I learn about gear, the more confusing it can almost be at times! 

4 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I don't know, I'm finding it interesting to see guys shorter than me using a much larger stick and guys taller than me using the same length stick as me.

Plus, all everyone wants to do is talk about themselves, may as well let people interact and get post happy.

But the numbers are meaningless without a point of reference. But whatever I guess. Silly me thinking post quality matters more than traffic. 

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

But the numbers are meaningless without a point of reference. But whatever I guess. Silly me thinking post quality matters more than traffic. 

It's not about traffic, it' about letting people have the conversions they want. Just because you don't see the value in this does not mean other people don't. Unless someone is smearing a particular product because they have a vendetta or something dramatic, there's not much reason to question the validity of a thread. The more appealing or value add threads will grow and be the most popular. The niche threads are still there for the people who like them. 

2 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

It's not about traffic, it' about letting people have the conversions they want. Just because you don't see the value in this does not mean other people don't. Unless someone is smearing a particular product because they have a vendetta or something dramatic, there's not much reason to question the validity of a thread. The more appealing or value add threads will grow and be the most popular. The niche threads are still there for the people who like them. 

Exactly. Best part of the GSBB was just some of the random off-topic threads that would pop up where users were able to goof around and shitpost. There was tons of valuable information, but we don't always need to be so serious around here. :giggle:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Exactly. Best part of the GSBB was just some of the random off-topic threads that would pop up where users were able to goof around and shitpost. There was tons of valuable information, but we don't always need to be so serious around here. :giggle:

I feel inspired by this; post to follow...

26 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

NO STEVE PASSMORE! 

10 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Wow. That was effin brilliant! Big props to @MTH for that one! I’m not sure I can live up to that level, so I’ll have to have a good, serious think on my post idea (esp as it involves about zero Norfolk Admirals).

What was this thread originally about...? Oh right - I’m 5’10” and use a CCM foam core, Price curve, and 25” paddle. I also cut the shaft, but only about 3” off if memory serves... but this really reflects about 20 minutes of internet research WAY more than any preference/awareness of what the hell I’m doing.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

My 2 cents...

I'm 6'2 and that is irrelevant IMO as some of us have different length of legs and torsos and then there are some who wear tall blades and then some of us have low or high stances, and THEN some of us are far less flexible at the bending points (lower back, hips, knees, ankles) which will inevitably change this whole data approach completely.

For instance...as mentioned above, I'm 6'2, have a 92" inseam (roadie cyclists will know this), I currently wear Bauer Vapor skates with the regular 1G blades and my stance has evolved quite a bit over the past 30 years. I started as a stand-up bent over goalie then went hybrid with a more squatting style stance, and now I have incorporated the b-fly quite a bit in my game the past decade which means I now use more of a wider stance.

I went from a 25" to a 26" and am interested in trying a 25" again so I may work on my puck handling more.

It's an ongoing process of adjustments and adaptations as I slowly age.

If you're going to do this, your best bet is to create a data sheet that will incorporate all the possible variables.

On 12/30/2019 at 8:50 AM, RichMan said:

My 2 cents...

I'm 6'2 and that is irrelevant IMO as some of us have different length of legs and torsos and then there are some who wear tall blades and then some of us have low or high stances, and THEN some of us are far less flexible at the bending points (lower back, hips, knees, ankles) which will inevitably change this whole data approach completely.

For instance...as mentioned above, I'm 6'2, have a 92" inseam (roadie cyclists will know this), I currently wear Bauer Vapor skates with the regular 1G blades and my stance has evolved quite a bit over the past 30 years. I started as a stand-up bent over goalie then went hybrid with a more squatting style stance, and now I have incorporated the b-fly quite a bit in my game the past decade which means I now use more of a wider stance.

I went from a 25" to a 26" and am interested in trying a 25" again so I may work on my puck handling more.

It's an ongoing process of adjustments and adaptations as I slowly age.

If you're going to do this, your best bet is to create a data sheet that will incorporate all the possible variables.

OK – I will see @RichMan’s 2cents (so you at least get 4 cents out of this if nothing more). The place I would be concerned about this thread is a newbie trying to use the data here as a gauge for stick height.

In the first case, as we all know the proclaimed stick length vs. reality can be a crapshoot. There doesn’t even seem to be a standard measuring procedure to quantify length (i.e. start and stop points to measure between), so trying to compare size by advertised dimensions is tenuous.

Secondly, as mentioned elsewhere, the lie plays into the overall height of a stick. Without factoring that in the waters become muddier.

Finally and most importantly, per RichMan’s observations, there is a lot to consider with regard to stance and style of play when considering a stick length – dare I say this is the most important point? When I returned to the position, I started with a 26” stick because I read on one forum that no adult goalie should play with anything shorter. That succeeded for me – succeeded to screw up my balance and result in a load of goals going in stick side under my arm. As an experiment, I decided to determine the proper height for a stick blind to printed size (by using a mock) and ended up (by physical comparison to the mock)  trying a cheap 23.5” Bauer - yes, intermediate sizing.

Suddenly the under-the-blocker-arm goals became pretty well non existent, and my movement in the net a lot smoother, as my stance was not being driven by my stick (goals against took a noticeable drop).

On page 1 of this post, @Fullright stated he is 5’-5” and uses a 25” or 26” stick. Even though I am 2.5 inches taller than him I use a stick (advertised as) 1.5” – 2.5” shorter than his. This isn't surprising as any of you familiar with Fullright's videos knows he plays a very skilled standup stye. Even though we are close to the same "vintage" I play more of a b-fly biased-hybrid style", seeing as I wasn't stopping anything staying up anyway (not that b-fly has helped any).

Edited by Colander
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2019 at 4:50 PM, Colander said:

OK – I will see @RichMan’s 2cents (so you at least get 4 cents out of this if nothing more). The place I would be concerned about this thread is a newbie trying to use the data here as a gauge for stick height.

In the first case, as we all know the proclaimed stick length vs. reality can be a crapshoot. There doesn’t even seem to be a standard measuring procedure to quantify length (i.e. start and stop points to measure between), so trying to compare size by advertised dimensions is tenuous.

Secondly, as mentioned elsewhere, the lie plays into the overall height of a stick. Without factoring that in the waters become muddier.

Finally and most importantly, per RichMan’s observations, there is a lot to consider with regard to stance and style of play when considering a stick length – dare I say this is the most important point? When I returned to the position, I started with a 26” stick because I read on one forum that no adult goalie should play with anything shorter. That succeeded for me – succeeded to screw up my balance and result in a load of goals going in stick side under my arm. As an experiment, I decided to determine the proper height for a stick blind to printed size (by using a mock) and ended up (by physical comparison to the mock)  trying a cheap 23.5” Bauer - yes, intermediate sizing.

Suddenly the under-the-blocker-arm goals became pretty well non existent, and my movement in the net a lot smoother, as my stance was not being driven by my stick (goals against took a noticeable drop).

On page 1 of this post, @Fullright stated he is 5’-5” and uses a 25” or 26” stick. Even though I am 2.5 inches taller than him I use a stick (advertised as) 1.5” – 2.5” shorter than his. This isn't surprising as any of you familiar with Fullright's videos knows he plays a very skilled standup stye. Even though we are close to the same "vintage" I play more of a b-fly biased-hybrid style", seeing as I wasn't stopping anything staying up anyway (not that b-fly has helped any).

Last time I saw a Lie printed on a stick it was the old Christian sticks I used to use in the 90's

On 1/1/2020 at 8:26 PM, RichMan said:

Last time I saw a Lie printed on a stick it was the old Christian sticks I used to use in the 90's

For brevity I didn't launch into it in my previous post, but back in the'70s you didn't get a length printed on a stick, it was always lie. You just found one that worked for you and hoped like hell they didn't sop making them (luckily around here it was SherWood - only the rich kids could afford Koho😁).

I have seen lie values printed on some sticks now, but it's few and far between. It's interesting that such an important piece of goaltending hardware can be fairly well defined by two values and presently you usually only get one (length) and that value isn't even standardized.I guess until the NHL suspects sticks are limiting the number of goals scored, they won't force manufacturers to standardize in any way (tongue heavily in cheek)

Combination of lie, paddle , shape of blade including toe and heel, paddle shape shoulder.

nhl legal paddle goalie length is where it is 3”wide starting point not where the  shaft connects with the paddle And going down to heel. At the shaft middle not the bottom side of paddle.  

they don’t list lie bc blades are rocker now except for p31 mostly speaking and some other ones.

if u want the proper positioning find a pro goalie that ur height and size and use their pattern and modify accordingly.