Ghostender

Introduce Yourself

Hey all, apparently I haven't posted in here yet.

I've been playing goal full time for about 20 years.  Started when I was 10 when the goalie on our house league team sometimes wouldn't show up to games because her asshole parents were going through a rough divorce and just wouldn't take her to games.  She had her own equipment, so I got the league supplied stuff and would dress half-way and wait to see if she was coming or not.  Started full time the next year, the team gear that year had deer hair filled pads, and a trapper that was full brown leather with the cuff that went half way up your arm.  Parents decided it was time for my own gear.

Played varsity my senior year of HS, on a team that folded half-way through the season because we owed the local parks and rec a few thousand dollars and they froze our account so we couldn't get a bus to away games.  That was my one taste of select hockey, Intramural and Beer League since then.

Only recently got into the modding and finer details of gear.  I've been in Brian's, Vaughn, Brown, Bauer, Eddy, Itech, Koho

Currently on the shelf for a couple of weeks after busting up my ankle in slo-pitch softball playoffs, but back to my men's league A division team after that, avoiding the only potential winter without a team since I started playing hockey as a kid.

Happy to be here!

• Like 2

I never introduced myself either.

I am also a former member of GSBB though I changed my alias, and I am trying to not be such a lurker.

I am a self taught goalie from Pittsburgh that started playing back in 2006 when I was 23.

Recently came back after being retired 4 years due to a lower back / hip injury that was nagging me everyday. Out of the blue my roommate from college said he started playing hockey and needed a goalie for a league and it started the next week. I was woefully out of shape having put on more weight than I care to admit and was going through a rough patch in life. So I said fuck it and agreed to play.  Went to a pickup game and felt like I was going to die after 20 minutes.  Made it through my first few games and decided to upgrade my gear, since everything I was using was around 10 years old.

• Like 2

Been playing hockey since i was 13, turning 16 next august, starting playing goalie at 14, my dad and i were playing street hockey after school i was in net, he told me "you should be a goalie" so i did lol

havent looked back since. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Max27 said:

Been playing hockey since i was 13, turning 16 next august, starting playing goalie at 14, my dad and i were playing street hockey after school i was in net, he told me "you should be a goalie" so i did lol

havent looked back since. 

My maltese collar is almost as old as you! 

• Haha 2

Hey all!

Former (current?) GSBB member/lurker. Born and raised in Illinois and currently reside in South Pasadena, California. I began playing hockey around 8 years old. Frozen retention ponds in winter are one of my most cherished memories. Started playing goal around 10 and in an indoor roller league and ice, as well. Ice exclusively by the time I was 13. I played on Varsity A and then on the top team in high school (AA Varsity) Sophomore through Senior. My high school wouldn't sanction the hockey team as it was deemed too violent, so we had to pay a good amount to play. We would do fundraisers and garbage detail at local fests and such. I had two jobs so I could pay for gear and the league. Since we were a 'club' team, we got into some good tournaments and traveled a bit. We played against some AAA teams and hung in there pretty well. I broke my left femur in a car collision late in my Junior year after the season was essentially over, but I was eager to get back to a normal existence. All seemed well, but then I spent months trying to have this lingering pain diagnosed. It felt as if nothing worked anymore. I carried a 1.73 GAA my Junior year and was now giving up 3 to 4 goals a night. I had to walk away from hockey that winter with no answers, a limp, and my first foray into depression. 

Over the next few months, my life was not getting any better, and the leg pain persisted. My parents did the best they could with the feedback I was giving them, but I simply wasn't giving them enough. Additionally, not one doctor suggested imagining the break site on my femur. It got to the point where my leg was quite literally bent outward - bending the titanium rod in the femur.  I eventually went to an ortho that essentially knew what was going on, and the x-ray confirmed as much - I had 'rebroken' my femur.  What was actually occurring was not unlike a stress fracture, albeit a massive one - the bone had unfused at the break site. I would need another surgery, a larger titanium rod, and extensive PT to get healthy again. My second summer in crutches...

Eventually, I began skating again at pickups. I played a season on the club team in college before it folded. I played sporadically and stopped for nearly 4 years. I started playing heavily around 28 -29 years old through 33, often times 6 times a week and multiple games a night. I was having a blast and feeling pretty good. I managed the inevitable injuries with a routine of stretching, therapy, and conditioning, and I felt pretty good most of the time. I was spending hours each week preparing my body and my gear for the ice, and I loved the routine. But, as it happens, circumstances often change.  My father passed away in late 2014 and I was in the middle of a divorce at the time. Also, I was struggling in my career and there just wasn't room in my life for being a reliable goalie. I decided to go on an indefinite hiatus until I could rekindle my love of playing hockey... which brings us to the present.

I am currently conditioning myself to get back on the ice this fall at the young age of 37. I feel as if it will be a smooth transition as I have been boxing, stretching, doing yoga, myofascial release, etc. I'll be skating again soon and probably contributing more to the GoalNet than I ever did on the GSBB. 

Thanks for reading!

• Like 2