The "I Need a New Mask" Thread

cwarnar

MODERATOR EDIT:  IF YOU ARE IN NEED OF A NEW MASK THEN PLEASE READ THIS THREAD IN ITS ENTIRETY.  IF IT HELPS, AWESOME, IT DID ITS JOB.  IF IT DOESN'T, ASK A QUESTION AND ADD TO THIS THREAD.  DO NOT MAKE ANOTHER "HELP ME FIND A NEW MASK" THREAD.
-TGN MOD TEAM

I know it's just another mask thread but I after 11 long years of awesome service it's time to replace my awesome Stacey Mach 10H... 

In no particular order... here's what my options are at this point:

COVETED MASK

I love what Ron is pumping out, clean shells, with lifetime warranty... also like most of the shapes

DEFENDER DOUBLE D

Chad is the son of legendary mask maker Gary Warwick... lesser known but talk to anyone that has one of Chad's masks and they'll rave about the fit, finish and protection

OTNY

Love the X1 Pro... but the Maltese mask is also a good option as I've gone to Maltese in my Stacey

PROTECHSPORT

No introduction needed... Would go full Kevlar... I know his wait time is 18 weeks tho

Looking for input as well as pros or cons of each brand.  I've reached out to Matthew Gibbons with Coveted and Chad at Defender.  Will report back as the process continues.  I also toss up some pics of my Stacey

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in the same position. Looking to replace my 10 year old Itech Profile 2000 (which was already old when I originally got it). Took a bad hit to the head, that was concerning enough that I needed to see a doctor to check for concussions....so I figured, might be a good time to upgrade. 

I'm looking into both Coveted and OTNY at the moment, mostly because it seems like they're my best bets to get something custom fit to my head. I'm down in Southern Ontario frequently enough as well that I can potentially go in a test out the fit in person as well. 

16 minutes ago, Puckducker said:

I'm in the same position. Looking to replace my 10 year old Itech Profile 2000 (which was already old when I originally got it). Took a bad hit to the head, that was concerning enough that I needed to see a doctor to check for concussions....so I figured, might be a good time to upgrade. 

I'm looking into both Coveted and OTNY at the moment, mostly because it seems like they're my best bets to get something custom fit to my head. I'm down in Southern Ontario frequently enough as well that I can potentially go in a test out the fit in person as well. 

Matthew at Coveted is sending me a package on info this morning... I'll share what I can

On 11/15/2017 at 11:28 AM, Doobiesnax said:

My vote is for Coveted!!!  Loving this new lid!  Looks and feels amazing.  If youre in southern Ontario a lot you should swing by the shop and talk to Ron.  Sounds like they are open to showing guys around their operation!

Unfortunately I live in the City that rhymes with fun... Regina, SK.  But I follow Coveted on Facebook and love seeing all their photos of their operations, Mask layups and finished products

All great masks I'm sure... but why is Wall not getting any love? I have a Wall W6H and it has a great fit, great sight lines, and it's light. It has also taken lots of hits to it... never had a ring or anything remotely close. They have some options for cages etc if you order through Wall Finland, Wall USA, Goalie Monkey, or even GGSU (W10 only really.) Worth checking out in my opinion. I've had a number of masks and it's definitely one of my favorites.

http://www.wallmask.fi/wallshop/jaakiekkomaskit

http://www.wallusasports.com/

https://www.goaliemonkey.com/equipment/masks/goalie-masks/brand/wall.html

https://www.ggsunited.com/collections/wall-masks

8 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

All great masks I'm sure... but why is Wall not getting any love? I have a Wall W6H and it has a great fit, great sight lines, and it's light. It has also taken lots of hits to it... never had a ring or anything remotely close. They have some options for cages etc if you order through Wall Finland, Wall USA, Goalie Monkey, or even GGSU (W10 only really.) Worth checking out in my opinion. I've had a number of masks and it's definitely one of my favorites.

http://www.wallmask.fi/wallshop/jaakiekkomaskit

http://www.wallusasports.com/

https://www.goaliemonkey.com/equipment/masks/goalie-masks/brand/wall.html

https://www.ggsunited.com/collections/wall-masks

Tough to find in Canada... I previously looked at the W8 and the W10.  Plus I prefer the custom padded options thru the other mask makers vs. a "off the shelf" model. 

If I was going off the shelf I would get into a Sportmask VX-5 or T3

Well I can't be much help other than telling you I got a Protechsport exactly 10 years ago that has been so incredible that I ordered a 2nd one this year just because I want one more from Michel before he ever retires. Both masks are full Kevlar. 

I’ve had a Defender Double D since last Christmas.  Chad is great to work with.  Not sure if he does full custom, but I sent him pictures of my head and gave him measurements.  Initially the fit was a tiny bit loose around my temples, but he sent extra foam and it fits perfectly.  

19 hours ago, Hills said:

Wall W6 is polycarbonate, which is a plastic, and since everyone says plastic is awful Wall shouldn't get a pass just because GGSU Golden boy wears them.

Not entirely sure what you're trying to say here. I do have the W6 that is polycarbonate (thank you for dumbing it down a shade for those who don't know what it is) and it has been fantastic. Taken shots from everyone from Beer Leaguers to NHLers and it has stood up to everything. Wall also makes plenty of masks which are not polycarbonate should you choose to want to go that route instead. Entirely a personal preference that should be made by the wearer and not a lemming. I've worn many different brands over the years, and in my opinion, to date, the Wall is what I've liked the most. Wall doesn't need a pass, they make a great product regardless of who wears it. I personally am not a GGSU member, nor was I even aware that Sparks (as well as a fair number of other elite goalies) wore one until long after I purchased one myself.  

Buy what works for you and gives you the confidence to play the way you feel you are most effective, no matter what your skill level. Period. 

The GGSU comment wasn't referencing you. But "avoid plastic masks" is a very common phrase get people will recommend plastic Wall masks and it all stemmed from Walls increasing North American popularity off of GGSU. I don't understand why they get a pass for using those materials.

14 minutes ago, Hills said:

The GGSU comment wasn't referencing you. But "avoid plastic masks" is a very common phrase get people will recommend plastic Wall masks and it all stemmed from Walls increasing North American popularity off of GGSU. I don't understand why they get a pass for using those materials.

It's no secret that playing with any plastic mask at the senior level is a formula for trouble. All we can do is pass info/wisdom/advice down to others that don't know and if they still wana go out and use one, what can we do? I personally didn't know Wall had a plastic mask as an option.

1 hour ago, Hills said:

It's interesting how GGSU gives people shit all the time for using a plastic mask and then turns around and says the Wall W6 is fantastic. I've never been able to get a clear answer on there of why/how it's okay but others aren't. 

Those who have not heard or Wall or seen one in person really should. The W4, W6, W8 and W10 are among the best masks on the market for their price points. I do try to steer others clear of plastic masks but the 'plastic' Wall mask are actually great. I personally wear a W8 (coming from Bauer 960s in the past) and I would not hesitate to wear a Wall polycarbonate mask.

WALL W6.jpg

Archived