The "I Need a New Mask" Thread

cwarnar

20 hours ago, Hockey1234 said:

I’m looking at 4 main helmets currently and can’t decide which one is the best for me.  They are as follows the otny x1eco foam elite, the masked marvel bandit, the new coveted 906(now certified), and the Sportmask t3. Keep in mind I have a very, very small head that can stil fit in a junior mask comfortably.  Any other recommendations are welcome. It must be hecc certified though. Thanks!

Hope all is well. Im actually the owner of Masked Marvels. Please let me know if you have any further questions, love to help you out. Best of luck in your mask search. www.maskedmarvelhelmets.com

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, goalie said:

Stupid question, but if the Bauer fit 1 is perfect - why not buy a pro level Bauer fit 1?

I’ve heard that these other brands are a lot more durable and strong compared to the Bauer’s. Yes, the Bauer may fit but I feel that there’s another mask that fits that is more durable than a Bauer. 

9 hours ago, Joe Messina said:

Hope all is well. Im actually the owner of Masked Marvels. Please let me know if you have any further questions, love to help you out. Best of luck in your mask search. www.maskedmarvelhelmets.com

If I bought a mask from you guys, just for the sake of trying it on and getting the right fit, would I be able to return it if I liked a different mask better or it didn’t fit?

54 minutes ago, Hockey1234 said:

If I bought a mask from you guys, just for the sake of trying it on and getting the right fit, would I be able to return it if I liked a different mask better or it didn’t fit?

we work very closely with our customer to ensure they get the proper mask and have it foamed properly to ensure fit, feel and protection. In 15 years, we event had anyone return a mask because it didn't fit correctly. We pride our service on making sure when you get your new mask, it fits properly. Hope this helps. Where do you live?

On 11/15/2017 at 1:27 PM, BadAngle41 said:

All great masks I'm sure... but why is Wall not getting any love? I have a Wall W6H and it has a great fit, great sight lines, and it's light. It has also taken lots of hits to it... never had a ring or anything remotely close. They have some options for cages etc if you order through Wall Finland, Wall USA, Goalie Monkey, or even GGSU (W10 only really.) Worth checking out in my opinion. I've had a number of masks and it's definitely one of my favorites.

http://www.wallmask.fi/wallshop/jaakiekkomaskit

http://www.wallusasports.com/

https://www.goaliemonkey.com/equipment/masks/goalie-masks/brand/wall.html

https://www.ggsunited.com/collections/wall-masks

Can you find out the weight of your W6 please?

1 hour ago, Joe Messina said:

we work very closely with our customer to ensure they get the proper mask and have it foamed properly to ensure fit, feel and protection. In 15 years, we event had anyone return a mask because it didn't fit correctly. We pride our service on making sure when you get your new mask, it fits properly. Hope this helps. Where do you live?

I’m in the middle of New York. 

On 9/14/2018 at 10:59 PM, RichMan said:

Can you find out the weight of your W6 please?

Weight of the stock shell w/ stock foam is 1319g (2.91 lbs.)

Weight of the stock shell w/ full Maltese Kit is 1335g (2.94 lbs.)

If I repaint it I may pull out the Maltese so I can fully finish the interior, and I can take a weight of the shell alone as well then.

On 9/22/2018 at 7:12 PM, Hockey1234 said:

I think I’m going to get an otny x1 elite eco foam mask with a certified cat eye. I’ll post pictures when I get it probably in a month or two. 

I didn't like mine at all.

But they're well built so I hope it works out for you!

On 9/26/2018 at 5:05 PM, Hockey1234 said:

What didn’t you like about them?

They're built like those old Koho 570 masks - sturdy but heavy. And for whatever reason it didn't hug my face the way I was hoping, there was a gap at my temples and my face was far away from the cage so that meant my window of view was small. Overall, just not for me and not great for a modern mask.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m 16 and play travel hockey. I just sustained my 4th concussion and even though it’s minor, I will be sidelined for the first month of the regular season. I currently have a wall w4 mask and was looking to upgrade to either a Bauer nmevtx or a profile 960. Also what are your guys’ experiences with the two piece true skates? Looking to possibly upgrade to those 

1 hour ago, Taylor Chynoweth said:

I’m 16 and play travel hockey. I just sustained my 4th concussion and even though it’s minor, I will be sidelined for the first month of the regular season. I currently have a wall w4 mask and was looking to upgrade to either a Bauer nmevtx or a profile 960. Also what are your guys’ experiences with the two piece true skates? Looking to possibly upgrade to those 

Definitely try on any mask you can before buying one. I assume you need a certified mask, so I would also consider Sportmask, Coveted, and OTNY masks. OTNY has an interesting new foam called EcoProFoam (there's a separate thread on it) which is supposedly better than standard foams: https://goalieparts.com/products/eco-elite.html

But definitely fit is key.

The wall W-4 is a polycarbonate, or ABS plastic, mask. Well I'm sure some guys don't mind that there are many other options listed above that seemed to have a better track record. There's also a huge issue around quality control with wall USA vs wall in Finland. The biggest thing is to find something that fits properly and is comfortable. If you have the money to go custom Chad Warwick with Defender or @Joe Messina and Masked Marvels maybe another option

3 hours ago, cwarnar said:

The wall W-4 is a polycarbonate, or ABS plastic, mask. Well I'm sure some guys don't mind that there are many other options listed above that seemed to have a better track record. There's also a huge issue around quality control with wall USA vs wall in Finland. The biggest thing is to find something that fits properly and is comfortable. If you have the money to go custom Chad Warwick with Defender or @Joe Messina and Masked Marvels maybe another option

I would second Masked Marvel.

Do I have one?  No.  Do I know someone who have one? No.  Do I want one? Yes.  Is @Joe Messina around the forum making Masked Marvels one of the best track record of customer engagement possible?  Yes.  Is this important?  That's the most important thing kid. 

You gotta find a company that is there for it's current and potential customers.  Someone who you can contact directly if anything.  Ask questions before making a purchase and address any possible issues, whatever they might be afterward.  @GoalieTimmy33 is also way up there in terms of customers experience.  To me, that's key.

Being 16 you probably need a mask with the certification sticker on it, that said a good affordable option would be the fusion 962 mask, the thing is a tank as far as protection. I don’t believe they would have the cert. sticker on them. As far as the 2 piece true skates I have a pair and they are awesome, great performance and comfortable. From what I have read some guys complain about the finish on the skates and maybe durability but if you properly dry your skates after each use it helps from the skate prematurely breaking down. 

6 hours ago, TitanG said:

Definitely try on any mask you can before buying one. I assume you need a certified mask, so I would also consider Sportmask, Coveted, and OTNY masks. OTNY has an interesting new foam called EcoProFoam (there's a separate thread on it) which is supposedly better than standard foams: https://goalieparts.com/products/eco-elite.html

But definitely fit is key.

I don’t think the Otny is HECC/CSA approved the cage is and  the foam ( really ) never heard of foam/padding meeting these standards. Regarding the other brands above check if the MASKS meet these standards - my son used a Protecsport for the last four years and this year he wanted a CCM Pro due to the approvals above. Overall a very good mask feet’s him very well - like Cawarmar said above FIT is extremely important so don’t buy anything with trying it for fir and feel!

9 hours ago, Taylor Chynoweth said:

I’ve got a SportMask and the thing is a tank. You need something that can withstand slapsots and has solid padding and build material for adult/pro quality. Your head is most important. Be prepared to invest between $600-$800. SportMask is built in Canada where you have better quality control. 

Archived