G4 Thread

cwarnar

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Datsyuk92 said:

@TGC-Rance Omg that set is a thing of beauty. I love the big stripe in the middle that cuts the pad in half. You can tell Warrior really puts a lot of thought into grpahic design unlike some brands who just seem to throw shapes in a blender 

@Datsyuk92

It is a bit of a double edge sword. They have so many options which can make things busy but also gives the user full creative control. I tend to like things symmetrical and balanced. I opted to go to more of a Navy with yellow accents with the bit of white. My team is Nashville yellow jerseys with navy script in a diagonal block print like the rangers so I thought it would run well together. I also grew up watching the Barrie Colts in the OHL and these pads give me a lot of vibes from their jerseys. 

2 hours ago, cwarnar said:

@TGC-Rance I expect a full review you magnificent bastard!!!

26_Funny_Pics_to_Post_on_Facebook_to_Get_More_LIKES-ls.jpg.aaa030c8069b3b738ef5676bf886ddc3.jpg

@cwarnar

HAHA! Gonna gave to fire up a review. Just no game footage..... That could be ugly.

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

With the change to the finger protection on the G4 blocker to match the R/GT.

Is there going to be any difference between the two blockers aside from the branding?

@Kirk3190 is obviously the guru... But I'm gonna guess no... The RGT pro is about as good of a blocker as you're going to get.  The only other one I love is the CCM premier

http://blog.goaliemonkey.com/on-ice-preview-warrior-ritual-g4-full-set/

Some good first impressions of the G4 set (and some better up close shots). 

Still really curious how that "air slide" is actually going to function. I don't buy that decreasing the surface area will improve the slide, since any decrease in surface area will just be proportional to an increase in friction on the remaining surface.

Not saying that they won't slide better, just that there has to be more going on than a decrease in surface. 

I'd also wonder if the recessed design might make the pads a little less stable in the butterfly. Probably a negligible difference, but since there's no longer a solid flat surface to land on you never know. 

2 hours ago, Puckducker said:

Cool read.

Flexible outside post wedge with adjustable tension on the calf wrap is a neat change. Definitely a way to go about fixing the issue of the leg feeling "too connected" to the calf wedge. I'm a big pusher for users of the G3/GT to separate the large velcro wrap form the calf wedge as it frees up the leg. Reviewer seems to think that these adjustable options negate the need to do that.

Blocker = R/GT + additional index finger protection

Glove = G3 but with minor improvements.

Definitely no G2->G3, let alone G1-G2, but still a good upgrade overall.

Some interesting stuff in there. I hadn't thought that having the post wedge tapered off at the boot break was to help keep a tighter seal to the post when your playing an RVH with your boot behind the post. I'll have to try that out on the ice tomorrow, see what kinda space there is in my G3's. 

22 hours ago, chakal said:

Sorry, I haven't seen the G4 and I have no info on it.

HyperComp is a composite plastic material that we've added to G4 Pro C/A, leg pads, trapper and blocker.  In the leg pads it begins at the below the knee break and extends to the  top of the thigh rise which increases stopping power and aids in tighter seal along the ice.  In the C/A & trapper it helps by reducing weight and increasing protection.  On the blocker it benefits the goalie by having a stiffer board face and better longevity over the course of time.

On 3/2/2018 at 11:43 PM, ruckus007 said:

It's funny...The way they do the adjustments on the calf sling....is something I came up with right when I got my G3's at time of launch LOL

It's cool to know that I'm not crazy, and other people think of it as well

We are always listening to feedback from Warrior Goalies.  Whether it comes from a 10 year old, a men's leaguer or one of our many European Pros we always evaluate feedback and consider it for future models!

9 minutes ago, Kirk3190 said:

HyperComp is a composite plastic material that we've added to G4 Pro C/A, leg pads, trapper and blocker.  In the leg pads it begins at the below the knee break and extends to the  top of the thigh rise which increases stopping power and aids in tighter seal along the ice.  In the C/A & trapper it helps by reducing weight and increasing protection.  On the blocker it benefits the goalie by having a stiffer board face and better longevity over the course of time.

That sounds like a great addition on the thigh rise. One of my complaints about the G3 was the lack of a really stiff thigh rise and specifically the ice seal and pucks being jammed in from the top, I feel like this would help with that. Also love the removable finger padding, I am going to pretend that feedback was taken from my G2 review... 

1 minute ago, Kirk3190 said:

We are always listening to feedback from Warrior Goalies.  Whether it comes from a 10 year old, a men's leaguer or one of our many European Pros we always evaluate feedback and consider it for future models!

That's good, because down the road, you want to sell your gear to regular Joes. It's one thing to please the pros and have them to wear (advertise) your gear, but the vast majority of users will be the beer leaguers, minor hockey players and all kind of people that will never play in the NHL or any pro league. And usually, the regular Joes that we are, don't have the skills and/or needs of a pro player. So I guess companies have to find a way to please those who will advertise the gear but also the majority of those who will walk into a hockey store and buy gear for their weekly game with totally different needs.

On 1/25/2018 at 12:01 PM, Kayen said:

Small observation on the customizer pad images... The nylon strap on the sling wrap around the knee doesn't seem to be there by default anymore, I wonder if it's now an "optional" item. I know i've removed mine personally on my G3. 

This is something we considered early on.  Feedback from a lot of G3/GT goalies was that more and more were ditching the nylon strap since the neoprene SlingWrap does such an excellent job at keeping your knee in the stack at all times.  We ended up deciding to keep the nylon strap on the PRO model only.  If you purchase SR or INT G4 and want to add the nylon strap you will need to purchase an elastic strap kit separately or take it from your previous G3/GT set of leg pads.

20 minutes ago, chakal said:

That's good, because down the road, you want to sell your gear to regular Joes. It's one thing to please the pros and have them to wear (advertise) your gear, but the vast majority of users will be the beer leaguers, minor hockey players and all kind of people that will never play in the NHL or any pro league. And usually, the regular Joes that we are, don't have the skills and/or needs of a pro player. So I guess companies have to find a way to please those who will advertise the gear but also the majority of those who will walk into a hockey store and buy gear for their weekly game with totally different needs.

Exactly!  Don't quote me on it but I believe Jerry Hillman (not sure if he's on TGN) was the first to bring to our attention the need for an adjustable/lengthened calf wrap strap.  It's now standard to be able to adjust the calf wrap strap on all G4 Pro, SR and INT leg pads!  

What was the feedback from people who were removing the nylon strap? I'm still settling into my G3's, but that strap is a feature I really appreciate. Seems to provide a sorta "full stop" solution in extreme cases where you might have otherwise pulled out of the knee cradle if it was just elastic alone. . 

Not to mention keeping some of the excessive force from pulling on the velcro which would no doubt affect durability over time. 

7 minutes ago, Puckducker said:

What was the feedback from people who were removing the nylon strap? I'm still settling into my G3's, but that strap is a feature I really appreciate. Seems to provide a sorta "full stop" solution in extreme cases where you might have otherwise pulled out of the knee cradle if it was just elastic alone. . 

Not to mention keeping some of the excessive force from pulling on the velcro which would no doubt affect durability over time. 

I'm the same way with my GT Pros... My knee velcro doesn't completely cover the knee flap and without the nylon I'd worry about slip outs.

I love how @Kirk3190 and the gang continue to tweak and improve their product, with function being first and foremost

30 minutes ago, Puckducker said:

This is true and also why we kept it on the Pro model.  The nylon strap is intended to be worn at a tension that keeps your knee from falling off the stack in a scramble scenario.  Some goalies found it useful and others felt they could live without it.  At the end of the day it's still optional on G4.  You can remove it from your Pro set or add it to your SR or INT model set.

Archived