Passau kneee pad issue

KootenayKeeper

Just bought some Passau knee pads to replace my Vaughn 7450 SR set and wore them for the first time Wednesday night. They're definitely bulkier, presumably more protective though I didn't test that directly. No problem with them rotating or slipping even without additional tape or a garter system. I had my previous Vaughns laced into my pants which worked well.but they weren't providing enough protection. Multiple bruises after just the first week of hockey convinced me of that.

The problem I had was that the outer shell would pop out and get stuck on top of the landing block, usually on my left pad (90/10 split). So once the play cleared from my end I'd take my catcher off and tuck the Passau back inside my leg pad. What a nuisance.

I wear Brian's Gnetik 5.5 pads (34+1.5) and McKenney 870 pants and leggings but I don't wear an outer sock. I hate messing with them and a garter.

I'll try sock tape next time. Any other solutions or thoughts?

I started wearing socks over them for the same reason. Originally I was using black RBK socks with the bottom half cut off so they only went over the knee pads and that worked well, but started wearing full length socks when I got on a team. 

If you’re worried about them making your legs too warm you can try that. 

Passau knee pads are definitely much larger but I generally don’t refer to them as bulky. I save that term for stuff that are awkward or large enough that I don’t find them comfortable.

Yeah, when I was talking to one of the guys from Passau, he specifically told me I should wear socks if I was going to use their kneepads, otherwise I'd likely run into this problem.

Though I've also read that even wearing socks, people still find it can get hung up. But at least it probably helps. 

3 hours ago, Puckducker said:

Yeah, when I was talking to one of the guys from Passau, he specifically told me I should wear socks if I was going to use their kneepads, otherwise I'd likely run into this problem.

Though I've also read that even wearing socks, people still find it can get hung up. But at least it probably helps. 

Not a single time in the two years I’ve had them have they gotten hung up after putting socks over. 

Chiming in with everyone else - simply wearing something over the pads will keep that front panel from snagging on the blocks.

I wear long cut-proof socks, a padded base layer (CCM or Bauer), jock with kneepads laced in, and a plain pair of black sweatpants over everything. Typically, I'll roll the sweatpants up, unless I'm feeling particularly cold.

6 minutes ago, Murray said:

Chiming in with everyone else - simply wearing something over the pads will keep that front panel from snagging on the blocks.

I wear long cut-proof socks, a padded base layer (CCM or Bauer), jock with kneepads laced in, and a plain pair of black sweatpants over everything. Typically, I'll roll the sweatpants up, unless I'm feeling particularly cold.

Sweatpants? Man I’d be roasting.

13 minutes ago, KootenayKeeper said:

If I have to wear something over them I'll try sweatpants. I hate dealing with socks & garter.

But has anyone had success with adjusting the location of the outer shell up/down on the lower piece? I may go to hockey early and try that out first.

I just use the velcro on my Bauer undergarments for the stocks. 

I messed with the plate placement when I first got them but that was more for fit.

Not sure what you mean by the Sparks method but I'm assuming it has something to do with Garrett Sparks?

I hadn't considered another base layer on top but regardless it’s another layer, be it sweats pants, socks or base layer, to fit over the pads. I have old sweat pants so I can try that tonight. The other stuff I have to go buy to try. 

2 hours ago, raucebyalien said:

I go with the 'Sparks' setup with my Passaus - base layer, knee pads and then another base layer over the top of the knee pads (I wear a M base layer normally and got a XL to go over the knee pads). Works really well and means I don't have to put up with bulk and heat of socks!

I wouldn't want another base layer on top. Socks would be much cooler and nowhere near as bulky. 

12 hours ago, KootenayKeeper said:

Not sure what you mean by the Sparks method but I'm assuming it has something to do with Garrett Sparks?

I hadn't considered another base layer on top but regardless it’s another layer, be it sweats pants, socks or base layer, to fit over the pads. I have old sweat pants so I can try that tonight. The other stuff I have to go buy to try. 

Yeah there was a thread like this one on GGSU and Sparks mentioned that he went with a second base layer over his knees instead of socks. I managed to pick up some UA bottoms for cheap and gave it a try - its not ideal having another layer, but its better than socks (and having to tape/hold them up) or having the clamshell bit of the Passaus catch on everything.

11 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I wouldn't want another base layer on top. Socks would be much cooler and nowhere near as bulky. 

Having another layer isn't the best, but its the lesser of a few evils. in my own experience the UA over the top of the knees was less bulky than normal hockey socks and also the 'slickness' of the lycra made pad rotation better than with socks.

I would think that a bib-style tight like used in cycling would work very well for the application you speak of, as the pant portion would stay up better. I was working on designing a base layer that would have had tabs and extensions to hold up a pair of knee guards, but I now work two jobs. 

6 hours ago, raucebyalien said:

Yeah there was a thread like this one on GGSU and Sparks mentioned that he went with a second base layer over his knees instead of socks. I managed to pick up some UA bottoms for cheap and gave it a try - its not ideal having another layer, but its better than socks (and having to tape/hold them up) or having the clamshell bit of the Passaus catch on everything.

Having another layer isn't the best, but its the lesser of a few evils. in my own experience the UA over the top of the knees was less bulky than normal hockey socks and also the 'slickness' of the lycra made pad rotation better than with socks.

Agree to disagree I guess, 

Okay so I wore sweatpants over top last night and that solved the problem. No tape needed either. But it was a bit warm because I wore my leggings underneath too. I tried the knee pads on bare skin but that was uncomfortable with the straps digging in. So good for now though I may try jock shorts and socks to address the heat issue.

Had the same probles with them with my Subzeros. Tried everything but taping them and it still would catch. Ended up ditching them for a pair of CCM Pros and haven't looked back. They are really great knee pads but the separate design is a real pain in the ass for those that don't wear socks. You shouldn't have to wear socks to wear socks to make the Passau knee pads work for you.

Archived