TRUE Two Piece Skate Review

Chenner29

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

So it hurt but no damage? I’d really expect the reinforced boot to be a lot better than a thin plastic cowling.

I had a hard time putting weight on it for a few days. 

There is the air between a cowling and the boot, as well; however- cowlings have become thinner over the years. 

By the way- if the traditional cowling actually got taller, we would be talking about the new vs. old cowlings, as the height is what the goalie holders give opposed to the old cowlings. 

That is something my design will address...

Wanted to update you all after I've had a few more skates in these things.

Took a couple decent shots to the inside of the foot and toe cap since I last checked in.  Didn't feel a thing.

I just got home from back-to-back games.  Not the highest skill level but there was a decent amount of puck movement.

I'm pretty amazed at how fresh my legs still feel after the amount of work I put in.  I could probably play two more if I needed to. 

Normally, I would have to re-tie my skates between games because the skates would loosen up a bit.  I didn't have to make any adjustments between games today. 

I had only seen the VH skates pre True and at the VH Factory. I never saw them side by side with Bauer 

I had that opportunity last week. 

The 2 piece Skate was not as crazy heavy as people say. It was minimally noticeable compared to 1S. I was happily surprised. I’m also boarderline weight obsessed, so I’m wondering if anyone else is noticing? 

With that said, I’m not instantly seeing  any major tangible performance benefits over Bauer (CCM has something interesting coming too). If your fully comfortable and fit in a 1S or 1X, why why go with a True? 

The main advantage I see is custom fit and potentially the 1 piece sole. I’m curious what is the main reason people go with True? 

Also, how do people find these dry? They liner looks dated compared to the fabric offerings from everyone else? 

6 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I had only seen the VH skates pre True and at the VH Factory. I never saw them side by side with Bauer 

The 2 piece Skate was not as crazy heavy as people say. It was minimally noticeable compared to 1S. I was happily surprised. I’m also boarderline weight obsessed, so I’m wondering if anyone else is noticing? 

With that said, I’m not instantly seeing  any major tangible performance benefits over Bauer (CCM has something interesting coming too). If your fully comfortable and fit in a 1S or 1X, why why go with a True? 

The main advantage I see is custom fit and potentially the 1 piece sole. I’m curious what is the main reason people go with True? 

Also, how do people find these dry? They liner looks dated compared to the fabric offerings from everyone else? 

They are heavier, but they fit so well it doesn't matter.

The performance benefit is that they fit better than any Bauer or CCM could possibly fit because they're custom. So that's why people would go with True. And even without the custom fit, some people just don't fit into Bauer skates, like me.

They dry just fine. It's nash inside so no problems there. They also used to have a wicking fabric but nobody really bought those so maybe True doesn't offer them - not sure.

5 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Well here's the thing, any performance benefit you get from the True is related to the fit, so you can't take that piece out of the equation.  They look like every other skate that's on the skate wall at a local shop, nothing really stands out about them until you wear a pair that's been made for you.

The weight is difference is barely perceptible.  The eyelets wrap around higher on your foot; I think this helps with the weight distribution/balance.
The biggest advantages that I've seen since having the skates about 30 days:

• minimized power loss in strides (fit)
  • zero pain or hot spots (fit)
  • minimized leg fatigue (fit)

@Chenner29 - Valid points. I never looked at fit as an issue of efficiency. 

From my standpoint, I have pretty safe feet. I don't have issues with the current Bauer models. Under that pretense, I haven't been tempted to try True. However, seeing all the pros in them and how many people are loyal on here, it got me curious. The "my feet don't fit into Bauers" argument doesn't do much for me personally and that's why I was curious  

15 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

The reason why I went with VH/True IS the accessible custom fit. I have nightmare feet thanks to 30 years of working on my feet. I have super-narrow heels and EE forefoot. Reebok pump skates fit well, but with the CCM change over, the forefoot is now much more narrow. That left me with ZERO stock options for skates. 

Sure- I could get custom Bauer, but they actually cost a fair bit more than the VH. Also- the way of measuring that was available for Bauer had a fair bit of room for error. That may be changing.  I have personally heard nightmare stories from people measured by the “expert” in a store for Bauer to only get a skate that just did not work. The prospect of an older Supreme model DOES excite me, as I like the old leather skates better. 

The Clarino liner is a bit throwback, though VH/True (at the time I had ordered) offered a textile liner, though they said the fit would be looser. That scared me right off. I wonder how many pros use the actual fabric liner? 

On 12/17/2017 at 1:28 PM, IPv6Freely said:

They are heavier, but they fit so well it doesn't matter.

The performance benefit is that they fit better than any Bauer or CCM could possibly fit because they're custom. So that's why people would go with True. And even without the custom fit, some people just don't fit into Bauer skates, like me.

They dry just fine. It's nash inside so no problems there. They also used to have a wicking fabric but nobody really bought those so maybe True doesn't offer them - not sure.

True doesn't offer the different lining anymore to help streamline the process they use and antimicrobial lining similar to what was in the Bauer PRO skates a few years ago.

3 minutes ago, thebigm said:

True doesn't offer the different lining anymore to help streamline the process they use and antimicrobial lining similar to what was in the Bauer PRO skates a few years ago.

It's just colored clarino unless they changed it. That's what True's pro rep told me it was, at least. 

• 4 weeks later...

So I will be showing these to my son in the coming weeks, they carry the at our local shop and I am thinking of getting a pair (2 piece) with the Bauer cowling a la Price ( his mod to the cowling )

i want to know if anyone knows if the lower end Bauer Cowlings without the cutouts like on the reactor 9000 skates are as solid as the 9K cowling??? 

41 minutes ago, Big2 said:

So I will be showing these to my son in the coming weeks, they carry the at our local shop and I am thinking of getting a pair (2 piece) with the Bauer cowling a la Price ( his mod to the cowling )

i want to know if anyone knows if the lower end Bauer Cowlings without the cutouts like on the reactor 9000 skates are as solid as the 9K cowling??? 

Price uses a Graf cowling.

Yes the Bauer cowlings without the cutouts work. I have cowlings from Pro stock skates on mine. When you say 9k cowling do you mean Reebok? If so, then yes the Bauer is a better option.

Persoanlly i wouldn’t use a cowling anymore and my next pair will be the step holders.

10 hours ago, Big2 said:

They are. However- you would have to dig for that cowling a bit. It was not available loose and you could only get it on a custom ordered skate. You may be able to scrounge one on a pair of clearance skates. 

Of course with the cowlings that have the cut out, the Price mod would work fine in that spot. I would not go to the work tracking down the non-cut cowling just to cut it.

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

They are. However- you would have to dig for that cowling a bit. It was not available loose and you could only get it on a custom ordered skate. You may be able to scrounge one on a pair of clearance skates. 

Of course with the cowlings that have the cut out, the Price mod would work fine in that spot. I would not go to the work tracking down the non-cut cowling just to cut it.

Should be easy to get, they were easily available at retail.

Archived