TRUE Two Piece Skate Review

Chenner29

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I got to see and hold in my hands both the 2 piece and one piece skates today. I have to say, I was expecting something much lighter, especially the one piece model. They pretty much fall in line with the weight of Graf and Vaughn skates. One thing I did like was how wide the toe box looked. Reminded me of my Altra and Topo trail shoes I use running in the wild. Very roomy :)

13 hours ago, RichMan said:

I got to see and hold in my hands both the 2 piece and one piece skates today. I have to say, I was expecting something much lighter, especially the one piece model. They pretty much fall in line with the weight of Graf and Vaughn skates. One thing I did like was how wide the toe box looked. Reminded me of my Altra and Topo trail shoes I use running in the wild. Very roomy :)

I am normally a psycho about weight, but the custom fit on my VH boot is so locked in I honestly haven’t thought about the weight once. It’s has the effect of making them feel transparent on your feet. And I’m coming from S190s which are super light. 

7 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

I am normally a psycho about weight, but the custom fit on my VH boot is so locked in I honestly haven’t thought about the weight once. It’s has the effect of making them feel transparent on your feet. And I’m coming from S190s which are super light. 

Exactly. When the fit is THAT much better, you don’t even notice weight.

• 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Kayen said:

Going to bump this, but I wonder if the 2nd Gen VH boot was made well enough to mount a vertexx holder on? 
(I know Graf boots have the double thick toe cap regardless anyways) 

You will have to get the serial number off the boot and contact a True rep.

If it was mounted to a cowling, chances are the answer is no.

6 hours ago, Kayen said:

Going to bump this, but I wonder if the 2nd Gen VH boot was made well enough to mount a vertexx holder on? 
(I know Graf boots have the double thick toe cap regardless anyways) 

I saw a Vetexx Edge & VH combo in the wild and it looked good. 

I can’t speak to the Step performance, but some reason the Vertexx looks nicer to my eye. Similarly to a Tuuk always looking nice as a player holder 

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2018 at 9:07 PM, ULTIMA said:

Anyone know what happens when the "holder" or "cowling" part of their one-piece skate cracks? What options does one have?

You can fix it yourself if you're familiar with composites.  I think there was a thread on GGSU where a guy did it himself.
You can also send it back to True.

On 3/23/2018 at 11:52 PM, Imperative said:

@ULTIMA I think on the true one piece you have to send them back for repair. 

10 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

You can fix it yourself if you're familiar with composites.  I think there was a thread on GGSU where a guy did it himself.
You can also send it back to True.

Send it back past the warranty date? I dunno about that.

• 2 months later...

So we're a hair over 6 months in, I thought I'd chip a quick update.

After working with a weird groin tweak in my right leg over the last couple months (I initially thought it was a groin pull), and a strange feeling in my kneecap I brought my skates to a local guy who's done some work for some of the Ducks (he humble-brags all the time that Kariya and Friesen would send him skates and steel to work on after they left town).

He took one look at my right boot and saw that the bottom is actually sloped upwards as it approaches the outside of my foot. 
He posited that it's possible my right leg is simply overworked from being constantly engaged on my inside edge and having to roll my ankle and knee a touch farther out to get square on both inside and outside edge.

I used a stock picture below to illustrate; the angle of the slope is very exaggerated.

He ended up taking the holder off, putting a thin piece of rubber (maybe 1/16" thick) on the outside part of the holder and remounting it to balance it back out.

This does bring up a salient point, why aren't the bottoms of these skates flat?  I can understand wanting to match the contours of the bottom of the foot on the inside of the boot, but I think without a completely flat outsole, some people may encounter issues like I have.

I don't want to start a dumpster fire on True here; there's plenty of instances of skates being mounted incorrectly from the factory with other manufacturers.

Moral of the story: Check your outsoles and your mount job!

image.png.75e28602a36fd9fa27e682e4a888c323.png

• 8 months later...
On 6/10/2018 at 2:22 AM, Chenner29 said:

After working with a weird groin tweak in my right leg over the last couple months (I initially thought it was a groin pull), and a strange feeling in my kneecap I brought my skates to a local guy who's done some work for some of the Ducks (he humble-brags all the time that Kariya and Friesen would send him skates and steel to work on after they left town).

He took one look at my right boot and saw that the bottom is actually sloped upwards as it approaches the outside of my foot. 
He posited that it's possible my right leg is simply overworked from being constantly engaged on my inside edge and having to roll my ankle and knee a touch farther out to get square on both inside and outside edge.

I used a stock picture below to illustrate; the angle of the slope is very exaggerated.

He ended up taking the holder off, putting a thin piece of rubber (maybe 1/16" thick) on the outside part of the holder and remounting it to balance it back out.

This does bring up a salient point, why aren't the bottoms of these skates flat?  I can understand wanting to match the contours of the bottom of the foot on the inside of the boot, but I think without a completely flat outsole, some people may encounter issues like I have.

I don't want to start a dumpster fire on True here; there's plenty of instances of skates being mounted incorrectly from the factory with other manufacturers.

From my limited understanding of skate remounting (only about a year-ish experience), the little black shim on the heel, and the way the toe cap wraps around under the holder in front is to assist in flattening the holder and give a level mounting service. The true rep at my local shop informed they have the ability to make the skates even more contoured to the foot but it would make mounting even more difficult.

3 hours ago, Urabus33 said:

From my limited understanding of skate remounting (only about a year-ish experience), the little black shim on the heel, and the way the toe cap wraps around under the holder in front is to assist in flattening the holder and give a level mounting service. The true rep at my local shop informed they have the ability to make the skates even more contoured to the foot but it would make mounting even more difficult. 

I was not given the black shim.

On 6/10/2018 at 2:22 AM, Chenner29 said:

I'm gonna have to give mine a check.  I've had a weird issue recently where my left foot just feels very wobbly, and the most recent skate I noticed it felt like I was skating on my toes most of the night, then woke up with the weirdest groin (maybe) strain in my left leg.  Thought it was just a lacing issue since I don't need to tie my 2S as tight to lock my foot in place, but I also noticed just standing straight up that it feels like the heel of my left blade just wants to slip out.

1 hour ago, Mroy31 said:

I'm gonna have to give mine a check.  I've had a weird issue recently where my left foot just feels very wobbly, and the most recent skate I noticed it felt like I was skating on my toes most of the night, then woke up with the weirdest groin (maybe) strain in my left leg.  Thought it was just a lacing issue since I don't need to tie my 2S as tight to lock my foot in place, but I also noticed just standing straight up that it feels like the heel of my left blade just wants to slip out.

Without seeing them, I’d guess the holders were mounted pigeon-toed on your left skate 

7 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Without seeing them, I’d guess the holders were mounted pigeon-toed on your left skate 

Going to take them into the shop tomorrow. My untrained eye is probably just seeing something because I'm looking for it, but it does look like the holder is off on the left skate. The boots are slightly different sizes though, so definitely need a pro's eye. 

Also found a skate blade puncture (probably my own heel that did it) on the back of one boot, so don't know if that's something that will need to be dealt with. 

Archived