Bobrovsky True VH Skates

TheGoalNet

@Egor - Thanks for joining... 

Bobs uses a True by VH 2 piece skates designed to be worn with a cowling. The skates look like the 1 piece, but they are not. 

He uses a custom made carbon fiber cowling. At last check, they are only available to pros. Hiller, Halak, and Bobs all use them. 

Here is some info on Hiller's cowlings:

http://ingoalmag.com/news/ask-a-pro-jonas-hiller-on-swiss-goalies-and-unique-gear/

@Tim_TRUEHockey  or anyone else, any additional insight to provide for our new member Egor? 

19 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Egor - Thanks for joining... 

Bobs uses a True by VH 2 piece skates designed to be worn with a cowling. The skates look like the 1 piece, but they are not. 

He uses a custom made carbon fiber cowling. At last check, they are only available to pros. Hiller, Halak, and Bobs all use them. 

Here is some info on Hiller's cowlings:

http://ingoalmag.com/news/ask-a-pro-jonas-hiller-on-swiss-goalies-and-unique-gear/

@Tim_TRUEHockey  or anyone else, any additional insight to provide for our new member Egor? 

Reading through the article, it sounds like someone in Switzerland builds those cowls. I may have to build myself a set one day, maybe out of necessity.

2 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Reading through the article, it sounds like someone in Switzerland builds those cowls. I may have to build myself a set one day, maybe out of necessity.

I think Leonardo Genoni also has those cowlings. Hiller and Genoni both came out of Davos, so maybe it's someone there making them? Hmm, I think I read something once about them in a local Swiss mag, but I don't remember...now I gotta find out....

6 minutes ago, estogoalie said:

I think Leonardo Genoni also has those cowlings. Hiller and Genoni both came out of Davos, so maybe it's someone there making them? Hmm, I think I read something once about them in a local Swiss mag, but I don't remember...now I gotta find out....

There have been a few composite cowls made over the years going all the way back to Belfour. They would potentially be heavier than a plastic cowl, but end up so much more responsive than plastic.  

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@bunnyman666 - it feels like you’ve been looking for a place to leave your mark and maybe this it! 

I’d be more interested to see a bunny cowling than mask

Could you wrap something in Carbon fiber to safe weight but still get the performance you want?

Not really save weight, but definitely tweak performance. 

A masque would be easier to build than a cowling; but I am sussing out how those were built. Wish I could hold one in my hand...

3 hours ago, estogoalie said:

I think it's this guy:

https://www.ws-composite.ch/cowlings/

He's in Zollikofen. That's about 2 miles from Airxess (and 2 miles from my office). Hmmm...if I was interested in carbon cowlings this would be really easy for me, but I'm no, I'm happy with my Graf's :)

Great work! Thanks for the linky!!!!

Like many Swiss pieces of composite gold (as I bought composite bicycle parts from Swiss companies before building my own stuff), I am certain that these are available to anyone, but you are going to PAY for them and wait on a very long list for the privilege. 

Even though I could build something similar, I always wanted a Cheetah bicycle. They were made in Nottswill, if I remember correctly. I bought quite a few parts from them and did some of my earliest reverse engineering from those parts. 

Update: just sent my enquiry. I may be buying a set for shits and giggles!

4 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I have zero interest in composite cowlings, but would love to have True 2-piece with composite holders. Actually, to be honest if I could just get a black version of the True/Step holders I’d be happy!

RIT dye should do the trick for you.  People have done cowlings, lacrosse heads, I've done some car parts.  I dyed a bright orange object to black and you couldn't tell it was ever orange.  It works.

11 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

RIT dye should do the trick for you.  People have done cowlings, lacrosse heads, I've done some car parts.  I dyed a bright orange object to black and you couldn't tell it was ever orange.  It works.

It is just like colouring back bleach blonde hair to brown- you need to dye a white plastic piece yellow and red FIRST, then dye it black; otherwise, you will have a funky bluey-grey that isn’t QUITE black. 

46 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I guess I had a head start being the part I dyed was orange.

Oh yeah, definitely orange helped you a fair bit!

I was reading threads on different forums and everyone would complain about black looking weird. That is the reason why. I tried it myself once and figured it out pretty quickly. Went back to hair colour 101 to figure it out. 

@bunnyman666 - From a business standpoint... 

There's tons of guys making great masks a a fair price... Protechsport, Coveted, Masked Marvel, etc etc... 

There is no one making custom Cowlings widely available. Although I think cowlings are going the way of the dodo bird, I don't think it's far fetched you could own that market. I also don't it's crazy you could design a product that provides some of the no cowling benefit with a cowling. Given your personal experience (is vendetta too strong?:giggle:) with the cowlings, you have a nice marketing story. 

Lastly, I can say that basically every hockey company is starting to keep tabs on us. True is even a sponsor... maybe someone will see you on here and you become a custom option at some point!!! 

I sincerely think you are onto something here... 

I would make something with the top section of the new CCM cowling, a taller version of the old Vertexx between the boot and blade, and make them compatible with the new Tyden steel... BOOM, winner, game over...  

@bunnyman666 @TheGoalNet IMHO, the way to go here is not to build a whole new cowling, but to build a product that is meant to give cowling-like protection where you add it on to the skate that has the Vertexx Edge or True, etc. holder.

Kind of like shot blockers for defensemen. Maybe a carbon/composite piece that attaches between the holder and the boot (wedged in there), or maybe just attaches to the eyelets. Something to consider...

36 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

@bunnyman666 @TheGoalNet IMHO, the way to go here is not to build a whole new cowling, but to build a product that is meant to give cowling-like protection where you add it on to the skate that has the Vertexx Edge or True, etc. holder.

Kind of like shot blockers for defensemen. Maybe a carbon/composite piece that attaches between the holder and the boot (wedged in there), or maybe just attaches to the eyelets. Something to consider...

That shouldn’t be necessary though. That extra layer of protection is built into the boot already.

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@bunnyman666 - From a business standpoint... 

There's tons of guys making great masks a a fair price... Protechsport, Coveted, Masked Marvel, etc etc... 

There is no one making custom Cowlings widely available. Although I think cowlings are going the way of the dodo bird, I don't think it's far fetched you could own that market. I also don't it's crazy you could design a product that provides some of the no cowling benefit with a cowling. Given your personal experience (is vendetta too strong?:giggle:) with the cowlings, you have a nice marketing story. 

Lastly, I can say that basically every hockey company is starting to keep tabs on us. True is even a sponsor... maybe someone will see you on here and you become a custom option at some point!!! 

I sincerely think you are onto something here... 

I would make something with the top section of the new CCM cowling, a taller version of the old Vertexx between the boot and blade, and make them compatible with the new Tyden steel... BOOM, winner, game over...  

It all depends on the goalie as far as whether or not the cowling goes away completely. Like I said earlier- my incident prompted me to get a cowling on there. A few others have tried cowling free and went back. It may be a feel thing as far as it goes as well as protection. I quickly was used to cowling-free and regret that I got scared out of my mind when I took that shot on the ball of my foot! I liked the attack angle of the holder and felt my game improved A LOT before the unfortunate shot. I have Step Extremes on my Vaughn cowlings, and even bought a pair of Black Friday Vaughn skates for the Step Extreme steel! You had better believe I miss the attack angle of the True/Step holder! 

The cowling may end up evolving differently. It may end up becoming a holder with more added to it. If anyone REALLY thinks about it- it is the HEIGHT of the player holder that increases attack angle, NOT the lack of cowl as there is STILL a lip of material so you can attach the holder to the boot! Part of the appeal of cowling free is the sheer height of the holder, and THAT can be incorporated into a traditional cowling. One may argue that even raising the skate with a player-style holder makes the foot less vulnerable; in theory, it can.

Mine was a freak accident, as I was going down for a shot and thought I was squared up against the shot. They saw a low opening that ended up being my foot! 

As far as being an OEM doing the Demon Bunny 66600 cowling, I would be consider it if I were already making other composite widgets. I would not be opposed to building it in small numbers, but having enough moulds to make them on demand could prove difficult as I have a 9-5 AND a side job that are VERY secure. Though having the Demon Bunny 66600 would tie in well with having a skate shoppe, as I am an Overdrive Blade dealership and a cowling would fit well within the offerings. But I don’t know how profit could be made on conposite cowlings as there is more complexity than a simple masque shell. Most people would flip from the cost of these coming from a one-man shoppe! I had enquired about the cowls in the article and am fully expecting the composite cowls from Switzerland to cost nearly as much as my boots!!!

My most likely design cue would actually be from the GX-1 Cowling, as with composite, you can trim as much or as little as needed in the shoppe. I could cut it down as minimalistically as needed. 

Thanks for the thought.

Please view this ad:

Bauer 7000 reactor goalie skate w/Kevlar Cowling. 8.5D,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-hockey/city-of-toronto/bauer-7000-reactor-goalie-skate-w-kevlar-cowling-8-5d/1316314215?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttonsVIP&utm_content=app_android

Price: $ 250

Just stumbled across these tonight. He also has has VH boots for sale too in another add for $225. If they had fit me I would have jumped at them but everything is too small for me.

Archived