Packing your bag

Don’t know if anyone has ever thought about this but I just bought my first set of pro level equipment. I want it to last and look the best it can. Are their certain ways you pack your bag? 

I make sure everything fits but I’m focusing more on how you put your Gatorade, water, shampoo and body wash in your bags. I don’t want this stuff to leak out and stain or ruin my gear. 

4 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Get a Grit goalie tower. Best decision I’ve made. Everything stays perfectly organized and it’s ventilated so you just open it up to get airflow. It has hooks and elastic to attach the leg pads to the outside too. 

This. 

Though I pull everything out and hang it on a rack after every skate. 

57 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I don’t shower after games. There’s no point. I’d rather go home and have a shower where I actually get warm water. 

My team is about 50/50 for shower at the rink, so I know it’s common... 

But I settle for a cold shower, our rink had a heat issue for like a month last year, and can’t imagine leaving without a shower

Do you have segmented post skate clothing? 

Doesnt your wife get mad if you’re jumping in bed sweaty or showering at 1am? 

1 hour ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Get a Grit goalie tower. Best decision I’ve made. Everything stays perfectly organized and it’s ventilated so you just open it up to get airflow. It has hooks and elastic to attach the leg pads to the outside too. 

The thing can be a locker and you never need to take your stuff out? 

Here is how I pack my bag with pads in the bag. The chest protector is leaning against the bag. I put that on top, but removed it to show what would go under it. This bag also has an end compartment to keep dry clothing and towels. Also here is a picture of a toiletries bag the missus gave me as a gift. I sometimes shower at the rink. Other times I wait until I get home. 

E3EC64AF-1837-4152-A53F-A61D65A295F6.jpeg

6DD81CD3-255C-4ABE-8A6D-FC31E073B424.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Imperative said:

We play many games 45min-1hr drive away with road games too long to be sitting in my own sweat, haha. I do have to admit maybe once we didn’t have hot water.

16 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

My team is about 50/50 for shower at the rink, so I know it’s common... 

But I settle for a cold shower, our rink had a heat issue for like a month last year, and can’t imagine leaving without a shower

Do you have segmented post skate clothing? 

Doesnt your wife get mad if you’re jumping in bed sweaty or showering at 1am? 

I usually just wear athletic shorts and T-shirt to games, and wear that home. Makes no sense to me to leave home at 9pm wearing the same clothes I wore all day.

It’s only about 30 mins home for me so it’s not bad. No different from coming home from the gym or whatever.  

I just shower in the other bathroom. 

No pics right now, but here's how I pack my bag:

-Helmet first, then the glove by the left and right side of the mask.

- Jersey, neck guard shirt collar and C/A next

- Followed up by my skates at the opposite and of the bag

- Pants on top of c/a

- Socks, knee pads, jock and under armour tucked near my skates. 

I use an old Warrior Messiah bag. It can be a little tight, but it fits all my stuff and gets the job done. I'm a shorter goalie so my C/A & Pants aren't the biggest size on the market so it can fit with the rest of my stuff.

Edited by creasecollector

I just jam my stuff into my bag. I've always carried my pads outside the bag, so it usually was never an issue to fit everything in. Everything get's taken out and hung in the storage locker of my condo garage (used to store it in the condo itself...for some reason my girlfriend objected to this when she moved in with me)

I also rarely shower at the arena. I've got pretty long hair so I take a fair amount of time to wash it, which makes the "quick, after game shower" a lot less convenient. Also, without a hair dryer it means I've got a soaking wet mop of hair for the next hour. I'll only shower if we've got some post game activities (ie: Drinking) after the game. 

@Punisher Goalie, does that Grit tower have enough space for the C/A and pants in the bottom compartment? The picture on their site shows them both jammed in there. But in their little overview video, it shows someone putting a C/A in that space and nothing else. And it looked like the C/A took up the entire spot. 

2 hours ago, Puckducker said:

I just jam my stuff into my bag. I've always carried my pads outside the bag, so it usually was never an issue to fit everything in. Everything get's taken out and hung in the storage locker of my condo garage (used to store it in the condo itself...for some reason my girlfriend objected to this when she moved in with me)

I also rarely shower at the arena. I've got pretty long hair so I take a fair amount of time to wash it, which makes the "quick, after game shower" a lot less convenient. Also, without a hair dryer it means I've got a soaking wet mop of hair for the next hour. I'll only shower if we've got some post game activities (ie: Drinking) after the game. 

@Punisher Goalie, does that Grit tower have enough space for the C/A and pants in the bottom compartment? The picture on their site shows them both jammed in there. But in their little overview video, it shows someone putting a C/A in that space and nothing else. And it looked like the C/A took up the entire spot. 

Fits no problem. I do stuff my knee pads, jock, and neck guard into the pants though. 

2 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Elaborate? 

I have not figured out how to wear it without first putting it on higher object (like a bench) to wear it. I know the adjustments are more human error, but the attachment to put the straps together seem to be in the wrong place. 

Quality piece, for certain; just don’t know that it will work for me. 

22 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Anyone have the Passau ( @GoalieTimmy33 ) back pack? 

15 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I have not figured out how to wear it without first putting it on higher object (like a bench) to wear it. I know the adjustments are more human error, but the attachment to put the straps together seem to be in the wrong place. 

Quality piece, for certain; just don’t know that it will work for me. 

I've got the backpack bag as well.  It was initially a bit of an adjustment but I think I have it dialed in.  I do have to use a lot more upper body strength to get it over my shoulder, but I think it makes up for the stress I put on my one hip (usually right) when I am going to and from the parking lot.  I still sling my pads over my shoulder as that is something I've always done, and it is less work to unpack when I get home.

On 11/26/2017 at 2:38 PM, TomTheTendy said:

Don’t know if anyone has ever thought about this but I just bought my first set of pro level equipment. I want it to last and look the best it can. Are their certain ways you pack your bag? 

I make sure everything fits but I’m focusing more on how you put your Gatorade, water, shampoo and body wash in your bags. I don’t want this stuff to leak out and stain or ruin my gear. 

For shampoo/body wash I buy the wash that does both.  Less stuff to lug around.  You can put it in a plastic/sandwich bag so it doesn't leak. 

I don't drink Gatorade, I actually take Scivation BCAAs - lots of tasty flavors to pick from, just don't get the watermelon unless you like watermelon Jolly Ranchers.  Strongly recommend Fruit Punch and Blue Raspberry.  Unlike Gatorade, there is no sugar, no crash.  Much better priced than the Biosteel stuff and it does a lot of the same things for much cheaper (90 servings for $40 on Amazon).  It's cheap enough that I used it to replace a bad soda habit as well.  You still get electrolytes to help with recovering lost fluid.  Also helps with muscle soreness the next morning if you had a particularly rough night.  I usually stock two versions: BCAA Go with the red lid has a bit of caffeine in it for before the games (and the morning after), and then I have a shaker bottle with the regular kind for after.  I find shaker bottles are a bit more secure than the regular water bottles.

I usually pack my jock, jock short, socks, and knee pads into my pants to save space.  Then mask (in it's own bag), glove, and blocker.  I also have a couple washable mesh laundry bags in different colors to differentiate wet and dry. 

I typically shower at the rink.  When I get home, skates and helmet are taken out to air out, then gloves are placed into a Rocket Dryer.  I usually dump the wet garment bag into my washing machine and go to bed.