Packing your bag

Okay, not a fan of the Passau bag. Nothing that is their fault, it’s just not for me. 

Construction and quality are great, I love the external skate pocket, but using it as a backpack isn’t fun. The primary issue is that the shoulder straps feel too far apart. Maybe my shoulders just aren’t broad enough. 

The other issue is what you do if you only need to move the bag 20 feet. Just drag it? Or wreck your back trying to put on a 55lb backpack? Heh. 

I think I actually liked carrying a player bag plus my Passau pad bag better for travel. Or maybe I should try flying with my Grit with the pad bag? Or a wheeled bag? I don’t know at this point. I feel like all the options suck for traveling on planes with my gear. 

33 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Okay, not a fan of the Passau bag. Nothing that is their fault, it’s just not for me. 

Construction and quality are great, I love the external skate pocket, but using it as a backpack isn’t fun. The primary issue is that the shoulder straps feel too far apart. Maybe my shoulders just aren’t broad enough. 

The other issue is what you do if you only need to move the bag 20 feet. Just drag it? Or wreck your back trying to put on a 55lb backpack? Heh. 

I think I actually liked carrying a player bag plus my Passau pad bag better for travel. Or maybe I should try flying with my Grit with the pad bag? Or a wheeled bag? I don’t know at this point. I feel like all the options suck for traveling on planes with my gear. 

I use my 1S pad bag on my grit tower. Adjusted one strap so it was able to hook onto one of the grit hooks, then the bungie cords around the bottom corners of the bag. 

Before that I strung a skate lace looped at either end through the empty tabs on my TotalONEs after I removed the thigh rise straps. 

On 11/30/2017 at 3:52 PM, IPv6Freely said:

Okay- I am not smoking crack! The bag from an ergonomics perspective is a bloody nightmare!!!!

If those have internal frames then I wouldn't trust a baggage handler to not absolutely destroy it.  

On 12/2/2017 at 6:38 PM, IPv6Freely said:

Yea, shoulder strap tore right off. 

Ugh that sucks.  That's the Passau?  How'd you make out?

So much for that eh? :P

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

If those have internal frames then I wouldn't trust a baggage handler to not absolutely destroy it.  

Ugh that sucks.  That's the Passau?  How'd you make out?

It does, but its stuffed so full I don't think they'd get broken. I dunno, maybe I'll just go back to using a player bag plus a pad bag, or just buy a roller bag. I only need it twice a year.

I ended up making it home with the bag. I literally dragged it when I needed to. Right off the rental car shuttle I was able to get a cart, and again once I picked it up from the baggage claim once I was back in San Diego. So it wasn't too bad. 

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So much for that eh? :P

Well, the bag itself is still great. Just that trying to make it into a 60lb backpack doesn't work all that well. If it had wheels it'd be fantastic. I love the blue interior so nothing gets lost, and the skate pockets and mask compartment are great.

17 minutes ago, Pauly35or00 said:

I use a CCM Pro goalie wheeled bad. Everything including pads fits with room to spare. The only downside of this bag is that you need a larger vehicle or hatchback because there is no way you're fitting it in a normal car trunk with pads in the bag.

Think it would survive flights? 

Edit: What I mean by stairs is that the rink in my city is one of the oldest still standing, to get to the change rooms you have to go down a flight of 20 very steep stairs and it’s super narrow 3 feet tops so I can’t shoulder the bag up or down and have to drag it down and then back up on its wheels. 

The handles have held up admirably even when supporting the full weight of my bag with pads in it and soaking wet. 

I would never ever buy another bag I couldn’t fit my pads in with everything else.

On 12/2/2017 at 6:05 PM, IPv6Freely said:

First trip with this bag.... I don’t know how I’m getting my gear home.

Crazy, that just happened to me Sunday night. Same shoulder too. 

I ended up carrying it as a regular bag until I got home  

PM Tim, he will help you out. 

I’m just gonna sew mine with an awl. 

5 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Crazy, that just happened to me Sunday night. Same shoulder too. 

I ended up carrying it as a regular bag until I got home  

PM Tim, he will help you out. 

I’m just gonna sew mine with an awl. 

I’d consider repair but then I’m just not going to be able to trust it. If I wasn’t just going to my local rink it’d be one thing but when I’m stuck in another state trying to get home I need something I can 100% depend on.

I shot a message over to them yesterday and they said there was a warranty and they’d take care of it. No specific details yet. Will update when I hear more.

32 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I’d consider repair but then I’m just not going to be able to trust it. If I wasn’t just going to my local rink it’d be one thing but when I’m stuck in another state trying to get home I need something I can 100% depend on.

I shot a message over to them yesterday and they said there was a warranty and they’d take care of it. No specific details yet. Will update when I hear more.

I am curious since I have the same bag. I have carried it three times thus far. I wonder when mine will rip?

The size is fantastic. Love the skate compartments; love ALL of the features. 

I love my Grit Sumo, but after 3 years the zipper has blown and some of the pockets have failed.  When carrying my pads on the Sumo I just flip the pads upside down and face them towards the bag.  And just use the bungee across the thigh rise.  Works great.  I have a Passau bag that I may try tomorrow night.

-steve

25 minutes ago, beansbats said:

I love my Grit Sumo, but after 3 years the zipper has blown and some of the pockets have failed.  When carrying my pads on the Sumo I just flip the pads upside down and face them towards the bag.  And just use the bungee across the thigh rise.  Works great.  I have a Passau bag that I may try tomorrow night.

-steve

Yup, I use a SUMO also. Awesome bag. Not useful for flying though because the pads don't go inside. 

• Like 1