Packing your bag

I usually pack my bag in a specific order as I am tall and my gear just fits in the bag.

I pack pads with shins facing the sides of the bag, then mask with glove on top and blocker beside at handle end.  Next are my skates down at the foot of my pads.  My Maltese collar and Underarmour shirt go between the pads as well as my water bottle.  Then my pants with my under clothes and jerseys go inside the pants.  Finally my chest protector goes in and I zip everything up.

I keep my replacement supplies and shower sandals with my toiletries bag in the large side pocket of my bag.

2 hours ago, Ken35 said:

I usually pack my bag in a specific order as I am tall and my gear just fits in the bag.

I pack pads with shins facing the sides of the bag, then mask with glove on top and blocker beside at handle end.  Next are my skates down at the foot of my pads.  My Maltese collar and Underarmour shirt go between the pads as well as my water bottle.  Then my pants with my under clothes and jerseys go inside the pants.  Finally my chest protector goes in and I zip everything up.

I keep my replacement supplies and shower sandals with my toiletries bag in the large side pocket of my bag.

Sounds like you have the Brown 2200...correct?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New bag time for me... my older wheel bag (not even sure the brand) is falling apart.  I was leaning towards the Passau back pack bag but after reviewing this thread I'm not sold.

Looking at either the CCM:

ccmprowheelbag_2016_black.thumb.jpg.dfee08bbb7242bd2aeabdb0a9dcd5851.jpg

Or the Vaughn

xfsrbag.thumb.jpg.d35297b84a6deee10fce4a397e0d09cc.jpg

Anyone have any feedback on these 2... for better or worse?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cwarnar said:

New bag time for me... my older wheel bag (not even sure the brand) is falling apart.  I was leaning towards the Passau back pack bag but after reviewing this thread I'm not sold.

Or the Vaughn

I'd go with the CCM just because I wouldn't touch anything with a Vaughn logo on it ;) But in all seriousness, it looks like a better bag when I saw them both in person. Especially if you're going to be on planes with it like I would be - the extra carry handles might not seem necessary in every day situations but they'd likely be really helpful for air crew loading it onto the plane :) 

I need something for this summer's MSH SummerJam and since the Passau bag failed on first use I need to consider something else. That CCM bag is top of my list. I'm also considering just using my GRIT bag with the pads in their own separate pad bag (that I already own). I'm just a bit concerned about how it will hold up. 

3 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I'd go with the CCM just because I wouldn't touch anything with a Vaughn logo on it ;) But in all seriousness, it looks like a better bag when I saw them both in person. Especially if you're going to be on planes with it like I would be - the extra carry handles might not seem necessary in every day situations but they'd likely be really helpful for air crew loading it onto the plane :) 

I need something for this summer's MSH SummerJam and since the Passau bag failed on first use I need to consider something else. That CCM bag is top of my list. I'm also considering just using my GRIT bag with the pads in their own separate pad bag (that I already own). I'm just a bit concerned about how it will hold up. 

Did you ever contact Passau about your bag. I was reading some threads on GGSU and it sounds like a design flaw with one run of bags.

Most were either repaired or replacement bags sent out. 

49 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Did you ever contact Passau about your bag. I was reading some threads on GGSU and it sounds like a design flaw with one run of bags.

Most were either repaired or replacement bags sent out. 

Yea, they offered a replacement. I said I didn't want a replacement because I couldn't trust that it wouldn't happen again, even with the design change. If it happened in the local parking lot it'd be one thing, but when it happens trying to get through an airport on the other side of the country and having to drag it around is another. 

They instead offered me a discount on a 3-pack of custom sticks, so thats why I ordered the ones you saw in the other thread :) So I guess it works out for them. Not only do they not have to send me a new bag, but they actually make more money because it only covered about half the cost. Win-win for everyone!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Or the Vaughn

I have CCM, but the older model (different design, same bag). Very satisfied - it is big and durable, no problems at all.

ccm-pro-wheeled-goalbag-with-skate-mat.j

7 hours ago, mik said:

I have CCM, but the older model (different design, same bag). Very satisfied - it is big and durable, no problems at all.

ccm-pro-wheeled-goalbag-with-skate-mat.j

I have this CCm bag and have been happy with it, it's the Pro model 44 x 24 x 24, its been durable and it fits everything nicely. It does take up a lot in the locker room though.

UPDATE - I ended up going Pasaau back pack bag... So far so good.  Way more space than my previous roller bag.  The love the standalone mask and skate compartments, plus its easy to carry.  A few local guys gave me positive reviews, the biggest being a wheel bag tracks sand, snow and ice into the rink,  my vehicle and my house... the joys of living in Saskatchewan!

@GoalieTimmy33 and Passau seem to have a winner on their hands... backed up by all the guys in the dressing room taking an interest in a goalie bag

28 minutes ago, motowngoalie said:

I like the Passau bag, but I'm not paying $50 in shipping, sorry. I even asked if I could ship it to my sister's house near London (Ontario that is) as Canadian shipping was like less than $20, but no dice. My search continues....

Unfortunately any bag likely will be pricey to ship.  I was impressed tho at how compact the back it when they ship it.  They also use their poly shipping bag as well.

You want a carry or wheel bag?

1 hour ago, cwarnar said:

Unfortunately any bag likely will be pricey to ship.  I was impressed tho at how compact the back it when they ship it.  They also use their poly shipping bag as well.

You want a carry or wheel bag?

I know. I knew it wasn't gonna be cheap to send it across the border with duties, etc but $50 is a lot for what I figured would be a fairly compact package. 

I'm using a Brian's wheeled bag right now, but it's ready for the garbage. It broke down so fast, but it's nice to only carry my sticks in to the rink. Carry bags seem like such a pain in comparison.

I probably need to stop being such a tightass and just buy the backpack lol.

On 1/23/2018 at 10:06 AM, cwarnar said:

Or the Vaughn

I've had my eyes on that CCM bag for a while now. Looks nice. If you do pull the trigger on it, please let me know how it is for you :) Best of luck!! I am also in the market for a new wheelie bag since my old bag is falling apart after a good run, haha.

Edited by creasecollector

29 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

I've had my eyes on that CCM bag for a while now. Looks nice. If you do pull the trigger on it, please let me know how it is for you :) Best of luck!! I am also in the market for a new wheelie bag since my old bag is falling apart after a good run, haha.

I ended up going Passau back pack bag... Love it.  

• Like 1

On 1/31/2018 at 10:46 AM, motowngoalie said:

I like the Passau bag, but I'm not paying $50 in shipping, sorry. I even asked if I could ship it to my sister's house near London (Ontario that is) as Canadian shipping was like less than $20, but no dice. My search continues....

The weight of the bag frame plus the size kills shipping. Part of the reason why no wheeled bags in my house. The bag weighs as much as the gear. The bag frame makes it difficult to pack in the Jeep.

Big fan of the Warrior bags. Vented and vinyl to keep the bag from smelling:

miaprobkrd_2.jpg

You can find these for under $80. Hold up really well. My kids use smaller versions of these bags too we get through their hockey club (team logo screened on side).

Edited by MTH

On 2018-01-31 at 7:46 AM, motowngoalie said:

Couldn't you ask your sister to buy it for you (and repay her, of course)? Some places will only ship to the cardholder's address for security reasons.

On 1/31/2018 at 10:16 AM, motowngoalie said:

I know. I knew it wasn't gonna be cheap to send it across the border with duties, etc but $50 is a lot for what I figured would be a fairly compact package. 

I'm using a Brian's wheeled bag right now, but it's ready for the garbage. It broke down so fast, but it's nice to only carry my sticks in to the rink. Carry bags seem like such a pain in comparison.

I probably need to stop being such a tightass and just buy the backpack lol.

The bag and the package it comes in is HUGE.  It's also pretty heavy. No way to get around the shipping cost whether with DIM weight or weight of the package itself.

Others have advocated the Warrior bag.  I was using that before the Passau backpack.  I had no issues with it, lasted forever.  Well-built. I just wish it had more compartments.

• 1 month later...

Here's a problem I run into quite often.  As a renter, I'm moving around every few years, and often I find myself in a situation where I have to bring my gear up and down some stairs.  With the Sumo Tower, that's a no-go with the bag, so the bag lives in the garage, and I have to make 2-3 trips up and down stairs to the basement with my gear.

The garage is not an option, either because of critters in a house I don't trust, or because in Southern Canada we get both 40C and -20C days throughout the year.

Have been looking at the Drysnake bag, but even that wouldn't be able to live in the garage.  

Anybody have any creative solutions to getting your gear up and down stairs efficiently?  I've considered switching bags entirely, but I still like the general convenience of the Sumo.

13 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

Anybody have any creative solutions to getting your gear up and down stairs efficiently?  I've considered switching bags entirely, but I still like the general convenience of the Sumo.

A carry bag? I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but damn. Sure beats multiple up/downs carrying gear.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

Here's a problem I run into quite often.  As a renter, I'm moving around every few years, and often I find myself in a situation where I have to bring my gear up and down some stairs.  With the Sumo Tower, that's a no-go with the bag, so the bag lives in the garage, and I have to make 2-3 trips up and down stairs to the basement with my gear.

The garage is not an option, either because of critters in a house I don't trust, or because in Southern Canada we get both 40C and -20C days throughout the year.

Have been looking at the Drysnake bag, but even that wouldn't be able to live in the garage.  

Yeah if I had to go up/down stairs I'd be switching too. 

I think the best carry bag for players is the Mammoth bag, and I know they have a goalie bag now too. I'd take a look there. If you want something more comfortable I'd check out the Passau backpack. I wasn't a fan of it and it ended up ripping on first use, but others have had good experiences with it. 

• Thanks 1

Looking at the CCM above and others on the market, I can't figure out why manufacturers still use a straight line zipper for goalie bags instead of a standard U-shaped opening?! It's so much easier for packing/unpacking.

I had a tight budget and my Graf vinyl bag was on the fritz. I ended up buying a goalie vinyl Powertek bag tagged for Source for Sports. It's a 40x20x20 with skate pockets at both ends. Sturdy bag for under $60. Pictured left is the model, pictured right is the kind of finish it has...

image.png.585504a838a1e007458314d9c0d9ac6b.pngimage.png.464e287927c01f8f097d8143bf7dce82.png

• Like 1

I have a Brown carry bag. We have a partially finished basement with a narrow staircase. But that’s where we keep our equipment. I pack my bag in the basement and then carry it upstairs as a backpack. To bring it back downstairs, I pull it over the threshold and walk it down the stairs while it drags slowly. Works well. This bag does have a U-shaped opening.