Packing your bag

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2018 at 12:03 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

So I shared this in the group chat for one of my teams.

Let's just say that the guys who wheel their bags we're a tad sensitive about it. :rofl:

On 9/14/2018 at 3:20 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Cry baby bitches

is it different for goalies wheeling their bags? feel like a jackass having a wheel bag but its easier lol

8 minutes ago, itis121 said:

Anybody here have a grit airbox bag?

I just got the 32" bag for my player gear, will be loading it in the car tonight for it's first go. Seems well built, I'm impressed with the quality of the mesh, wish there were more accessory pockets but whatever, I'll know more after tonight.

My CCM goaler bag blew out all 4 corners so I transferred the gear to a 40 inch vented Warrior bag. Not sure how long it will hold up as everything has to be loaded just so to get it to fit(yes my 33 G2 Pros are in the bag). The Warrior bag had been my player bag(although very oversized for that use) so I just shuffled stuff around. For me it seems anything smaller than 44"x22"x22" is a fight to load. 

2 hours ago, old but slow said:

I just got the 32" bag for my player gear, will be loading it in the car tonight for it's first go. Seems well built, I'm impressed with the quality of the mesh, wish there were more accessory pockets but whatever, I'll know more after tonight.

My CCM goaler bag blew out all 4 corners so I transferred the gear to a 40 inch vented Warrior bag. Not sure how long it will hold up as everything has to be loaded just so to get it to fit(yes my 33 G2 Pros are in the bag). The Warrior bag had been my player bag(although very oversized for that use) so I just shuffled stuff around. For me it seems anything smaller than 44"x22"x22" is a fight to load. 

Be a man! Show off those pads with pride when walking to the rink  :D:P

Image result for goalie walking to rink

14 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Be a man! Show off those pads with pride when walking to the rink  :D:P

Image result for goalie walking to rink

I've got 3 games tonight back to back to back, 2 as a player and 1 in net. so that's 2 bags 4 sticks puck bag and cooler.Oh and my pregame coffee, I'm out of shoulders. The only things I'll ever wheel into the rink are the cooler and my broken ass in a wheelchair.??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, old but slow said:

I've got 3 games tonight back to back to back, 2 as a player and 1 in net. so that's 2 bags 4 sticks puck bag and cooler.Oh and my pregame coffee, I'm out of shoulders. The only things I'll ever wheel into the rink are the cooler and my broken ass in a wheelchair.??

Honestly I'm disappointed you didn't add "trainer, coach, asst. coach and GM" ;) loll :D 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2018 at 11:25 AM, old but slow said:

So as I said, I can't speak for the larger version but the 32" bag is pretty cool. Plenty of room for my player gear needs although I do wish it had more accessory pockets. It fits: skates, shinguards, 2 pr elbow pads, 2 pr gloves, 2 helmets, girdle, 7 jerseys, 3 shells, towel and shower essentials, change of clothes, and of course the bag necessities. Unfortunately my tape rolls and some other odds and ends are loose in the skate compartment but whatever.

I unintentionally left the gear in the bag after sundays games(goalie gear did not get neglected) and it was 90% dry when I got home from work and removed it. So I we'll call it a good purchase. I won't comment on durability just yet as I've only had it for 2 weeks.

Hope this helps @itis121

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Passau Backpack bag here.  Had it for a couple years and the only problem I've had was with a couple of the zipper pulls breaking.

As far as packing order, skates and helmet go in the designated pockets.  Pads next, face down with knee blocks facing out towards the sides of the bag.  Thigh rises tuck slightly under the helmet / skate pockets.  Knee pads go in where they would usually sit as if I were wearing them.  Pants and chesty next to one another on top of those, then glove & blocker on top of the helmet / skate pockets.  Laundry bag on top of all that.  Stacks nicely.

Putting it on isn't fun, but it's not awful.  It's just extra exercise!

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive this, but I've recently threw my back out in a bad way recently and as I recover, I need recommendations/reviews on wheeled bags. 

I've recently got my kid a used GRIT Goalie tower so that he can carry his own gear and he loves it. but I have been wondering if other bags have also held up, particularity the 3 wheeled Warrior one, as I do find the GRIT tower a bit of an odd shape to fit into my car, and a bit tight in terms of space to carry my adult sized large gear. Fitting my pads inside would be a nice plus, but not a must have. 

Mini review on the 2nd Gen Passau Goalie backpack bag (~4 years of use)

I had been using the Passau Goalie backpack bag close to about 4 years now, but after about a year and a half's worth of use, the inner lining is failing a bit, causing little specs of rubberized materials to gather everywhere, extremely annoying as I have to vacuum the bits every week. I also wish the inner liner was a brighter colour as loose things tend to get lost in the black on black.

The main zipper has held up really well, still very good, however one of the zipper on the outer compartment (for the helmet) has torn away from the material, I hadn't used that compartment very much either. The bag has no real hard frame so oddly shaped things fit well enough. I found that I didn't use the skate/helmet compartment in the end.

The finish on the bag was a bit poor, when I first got it there were loose strings in various places. But nothing came loose in the end, everything was fine except for that one minor zipper.

In terms of usage, the bag is very large and usable and once you got it on your shoulders it is quite nice and you are mobile enough to fit through many doors. The shoulder straps are well padded and very comfortable, well placed as well as to balance the gear on your back.

It fit all my gear and pads as a 6 foot, large pads guy. The internal toiletry bag is just ok, there's also a velcro there for it that's a bit odd in terms of placement. I wish there was at least one inner section for spare helmet parts or whatever, but so you end up putting it all in that toiletry bag. I've tried just using a ziploc/extra bag, but that gets moved around and lost easily.  

I give it 7/10 and I would try something else before I tried their Gen 3 (if I weren't looking for a wheeled alternative)

I've been through a few wheel bags. Seems the Vaughn offerings had the longest shelf-lives (with Rbk/Reebok/CCM having the shortest life span) so I'll throw a vote for them. Never owned a Warrior bag but am a fan of their equipment and wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.

Hope his is helpful.

Edited by chile57
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, johncho said:

Sorry to revive this, but I've recently threw my back out in a bad way recently and as I recover, I need recommendations/reviews on wheeled bags. 

I've recently got my kid a used GRIT Goalie tower so that he can carry his own gear and he loves it. but I have been wondering if other bags have also held up, particularity the 3 wheeled Warrior one, as I do find the GRIT tower a bit of an odd shape to fit into my car, and a bit tight in terms of space to carry my adult sized large gear. Fitting my pads inside would be a nice plus, but not a must have. 

Mini review on the 2nd Gen Passau Goalie backpack bag (~4 years of use)

I had been using the Passau Goalie backpack bag close to about 4 years now, but after about a year and a half's worth of use, the inner lining is failing a bit, causing little specs of rubberized materials to gather everywhere, extremely annoying as I have to vacuum the bits every week. I also wish the inner liner was a brighter colour as loose things tend to get lost in the black on black.

The main zipper has held up really well, still very good, however one of the zipper on the outer compartment (for the helmet) has torn away from the material, I hadn't used that compartment very much either. The bag has no real hard frame so oddly shaped things fit well enough. I found that I didn't use the skate/helmet compartment in the end.

The finish on the bag was a bit poor, when I first got it there were loose strings in various places. But nothing came loose in the end, everything was fine except for that one minor zipper.

In terms of usage, the bag is very large and usable and once you got it on your shoulders it is quite nice and you are mobile enough to fit through many doors. The shoulder straps are well padded and very comfortable, well placed as well as to balance the gear on your back.

It fit all my gear and pads as a 6 foot, large pads guy. The internal toiletry bag is just ok, there's also a velcro there for it that's a bit odd in terms of placement. I wish there was at least one inner section for spare helmet parts or whatever, but so you end up putting it all in that toiletry bag. I've tried just using a ziploc/extra bag, but that gets moved around and lost easily.  

I give it 7/10 and I would try something else before I tried their Gen 3 (if I weren't looking for a wheeled alternative)

All good on necroing the thread, IMO better than 10 different people starting 10 different threads on the subject

You got more time out of your Passau bag than me; I had the V1.  The tension strap across the chest broke within 2 weeks, and the shoulder strap broke within a month.  Shower accessory bag inexplicably shredded apart some time in between. 
I didn't ask for a replacement, but they sent one anyway.  I told the rep all I needed was a couple feet of black waxed thread as I'm pretty good with a sewing awl and could have easily managed this kind of repair. 

They still sent a new warranty bag and asked for my broken one back at my cost.  Being out shipping on what was clearly a warranty/quality control issue was very upsetting, and IIRC I wasn't the only user having the same problems.  To their credit, when I expressed my displeasure they ended up "allowing" me to keep both.  I repaired the broken bag on my own and used it for a couple more months until the Pacific Rink bag came out.

I ended up selling both at a total combined loss and bought the Pacific Rink goalie bag, haven't looked back since.  Never really considered Passau gear ever because of this experience, and really don't understand the love affair people on GGSU have for the brand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichMan said:

BTW...look at what I found. Interesting.

https://www.sportwheels.ca/goalie-pad-backpack-carry-bag.html

I like it, but 130$ is a bit steep for a pad carrier. I would not put my stick there, it would be really clunky I think.

EDIT: @RichMan found it for much cheaper 

https://larderhockey.ca/shop/p/8mw4u0henoah21uczhhnfoqukphe6k 

Edited by johncho

6 hours ago, RichMan said:

I liked the Vaughn wheeled bag but the bottom started to curve and the sides slouched after a while. I used the intermediate model 38" since I carry my pads on my shoulder. My next try will be Brian's.

BTW...look at what I found. Interesting.

https://www.sportwheels.ca/goalie-pad-backpack-carry-bag.html

giphy.gif.1c7f10f8bf8f1aba37a6d07d4d649531.gif

This seems like a product that isn't needed. How does this improve on:

1. Just carrying your pads like a man
or
2. Attaching them to your girly wheely bag

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

giphy.gif.1c7f10f8bf8f1aba37a6d07d4d649531.gif

This seems like a product that isn't needed. How does this improve on:

1. Just carrying your pads like a man
or
2. Attaching them to your girly wheely bag

Honest answers only. Since they make quality goalie bags that comfortably fit all your gear and can be carried over your shoulder (i.e. Brown’s has stood test of time), why carry pads separately? Balancing pads and a bag just never made sense to me. It’s hard enough to maneuver through doors and doorways with one item balanced on your shoulder…