new set

maxt27

@maxt27 - Welcome and thanks for joining.  I would look for some used PRO level gear if you are of the appropriate height. From personal experience, Brian's gear holds up very well. I believe Vaughn and CCM do well too. Do you have any experience playing goalie at all? Do you know if you want a stiff pad or a soft one?

i haven’t played on a organized team, but i’m a good skater, and i play street hockey a lot. I also play on a dek team, since i was still learning to skate last year. I have played as a defensemen all my hockey time, and i started playing goalie with my friends  lot, and really liked it, more than i liked defense.i am going to be doing goalie clinics until next october when the season starts, however, and i am looking for soft pads. and i am 5’10/5’9 (abt the PRO used gear). Thanks for responding!

If you're just starting out, definitely check your local Craigslist and Letgo (assuming you live in an area where hockey is popular). Usually some good gear to be found at negotiable prices. This is a great forum, so feel free to post links to your finds. People are usually more than happy to reply with advice (so I've found). Good luck!

8 hours ago, keeperton said:

You're 14 and taller than me already, sheesh.

My main concern is to be wary of dropping too much money on gear that you might quickly outgrow.

14 and already the same height as me too:facepalm:.  He'll probably be taller than my by Christmas.  Same shit happen with my nephew.  I wish I was at least 6'0.  Dammit.

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

14 and already the same height as me too:facepalm:.  He'll probably be taller than my by Christmas.  Same shit happen with my nephew.  I wish I was at least 6'0.  Dammit.

I swear its all the hormones and shit they put in food these days. Same reason girls are D cups by age 12 nowadays. 

Of course this is complete speculation and I have absolutely nothing to back this up with. 

3 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I swear its all the hormones and shit they put in food these days. Same reason girls are D cups by age 12 nowadays. 

Of course this is complete speculation and I have absolutely nothing to back this up with. 

I'm eating the same shit with the same hormones as everyone else.  Why aren't I growing more??

Of course its just speculation. I have nothing to back it up with either.

14 and you will still be growing, I would search for used gear that is in good condition, no need to shell out 4-5 grand for brand new custom gear that you can grow out of quickly. I would suggest you do invest in a good mask, as far as protection it is the most important piece. Your skates are the most important performance piece of gear IMO, that said I wouldn’t buy brand new custom skates at 14 when you can and probably will grow out of them

56 minutes ago, Imperative said:

14 and you will still be growing, I would search for used gear that is in good condition, no need to shell out 4-5 grand for brand new custom gear that you can grow out of quickly. I would suggest you do invest in a good mask, as far as protection it is the most important piece. Your skates are the most important performance piece of gear IMO, that said I wouldn’t buy brand new custom skates at 14 when you can and probably will grow out of them

I was just coming here to post the same sentiments. Not only are you growing you may decide goaltending isn't for you and there's no worse feeling than buyers remorse. Not only that used gear can allow you to try some different setups at minimal cost, especially if you aren't sure what kind of stiffness, flex points or sizing you need.

ik i am still growing, so i was going to buy 35 inch pads. also, i have strong feelings that i want to play goalie. being a former soccer goalie(god that was years ago) but i felt more comfortable as the goalie.

also for who said skates, i was leaning towards bauer reactor 5000s. thoughts?

Archived