Bauer 2S Pro Skates - Initial Impressions

Bauer 2S Pro Skate

7051A8D3-887D-4E6C-9BCE-58C84D6900D7.jpeg

The entire Bauer 1S line will be remembered as a game changer. Even if you were not one of its fans, you noticed it. The Printed graphics, the no sew exterior, Curv material for hot rebounds, the lightest stick in history, and the cowlingless skate were all eye catchers. I would imagine that many people looking at the 2S don’t instantly see the same level of revolution. They might ever be wondering if it’s any better or if it’s just a new product for the sake of a 2yr retail release cycle.

4672E660-9334-4DC4-86E5-C3088EEF72DD.jpeg

Fortunately, I tested the majority of the 1S gear. I really liked the 1S set and used it for almost a year until I started testing Optik. The skates and sticks have been constants in my bag, which have yet to be knocked out. I chronicled my history with the 1S skate here  and generally found them to be a great product. They’re lighter, more responsive, and have a better attack angle than other skate available at retail. However, the skates were not without some critics and issues at retail

Many people were not aware the fit changed from the older Supreme One100 line to the Curv Supreme line or compared to the Supreme player line. Others wedged themselves in 1S skates because they wanted the most revolutionary skate to date but had no business being fit into it. As a result, the 1S got an unfair rap as a painful or uncomfortable skate. When considering your next pair of skates, always focus on the skate fit first and the technology second.

A553F6E9-6003-47CC-B216-89464FA29EE7.jpeg

So why is the history of the 1S so relevant to the 2S? Because given its history, I think some existing users might overlook this release. I think others might write it off if they didn’t love the fit or feel of the 1S. Fortunately for us all, it appears Bauer did not rest on having the best retail skate on the market and just spruce up the aesthetics to create the 2S.

We are lucky enough to be included in a demo program and will be able to test if that skate being an improvement over the 1S is reality or not. The demo program gives us the opportunity to test the 2S skates long term ahead of their retail launch. I will be providing continued feedback throughout the course of the testing. Based on my initial skates, the 2S addresses every concern I had with the 1S and adds some value I didn’t know I was missing. . .

First and foremost, Bauer changed the lining of the skate. When I tried these skates on for the first time, it was instantly noticeable and welcomed. The gel feels more soft against your foot and is flat out more comfortable. The liner has also changed is made up of two different moisture wicking materials.

6196CB0E-4CA2-4A26-8EB8-A7207DBC8703.jpeg

The heel lock is also changed and it’s what Bauer calls Lock Fit Pro. This is also a noticeable tactile change. From the ankle back, your heel is more locked into the skate. You feel more connected to the skate itself and it keeps your heel from sliding at all.

22F7C609-A572-4971-A862-4D56CE3E32A2.jpeg

Before wearing the 1S, I always wore my skates relatively loose and wasn’t able to with 1S. With anyone following the laces thread , I’ve been messing around with the different ways of lacing my skates. I will definitely experiment with going back to a looser setup with the 2S. This simply wasn’t possible with the 1S and 2S heel lock gives you more options. This is no a subtle tweak and Lock Fit Pro qualifies as a major upgrade.

952A51D0-2AE2-43D0-BC35-77D737D273B5.jpeg

Aside from the two main improvements made around the fit of the skate, the most important feature is the new steel. The new steel is all about performance.  3mm steel has gotten a bad rap and it doesn’t fully make much sense. 3mm is the standard for player’s skates and there’s no reason it can’t work in a goalie skate. The R&D team at Bauer, with $8m annually at their disposal, has the resources to make it work for goalies.

The 3mm detractors will complain about how long it holds an edge and finding someone to sharpen them correctly. To address the sharpening issue, keep asking your sharpener to go up radius by radius until you’re happy. That’s easy. Improved edges are where Bauer’s engineers come into play.

One of the most popular 1S skate mods has been aftermarket steel. Bauer’s new 5G steel appears to make that mod a moot point. Thru a 1/2 dozen skates, I have not had a noticeable deterioration in edge quality. I have been going out of my way to RVH for the sake of RVH and kick some posts. I’ve not been able to lose an edge to the point where I feel a sweet stick or sharpening is required.

79DE69D0-FB18-4536-A8C6-C521E29687B3.jpeg

When you do get your skates sharpened make sure to tell the shop not to stone them. The new blades are made of high end carbon steel and have a black coating on them. Overuse of the stone can ruin your coating and that will lead to issues down the road.

The most noticeable on ice difference for any 1S skate owners, besides the new lining, is the height of the steel. The height of the steel is 4mm taller on the 2S compared to the 1S. The overall height is 21mm on the 2S. The height change is intended improve your slides and overall lateral movement.

32169A85-DD79-4939-A0D4-6AC7AC566333.jpeg6F5B682C-8ED3-4708-89E4-B5CDFC6D9B45.jpeg

Normally I test everything for 1-2 practice sessions before I jump into a game. I don’t want new gear rattling me when it counts. However, I was so excited to wear the 2S, I couldn’t wait and jumped right into the game!  

Admittedly, I felt like Bambi for about 6 strides and then went into my normal stretching routine. Did some BFLY slides left and right and it still felt a little foreign. By the time I got up from stretching and skated to the net for warm ups, I felt comfortable skating. By the end of warmups, I was used to the height making saves as well.

When it came to actually stopping pucks, 5G steel is a different maker. I have found the new height particularly useful in situations where I need to change directions quickly. That applies to a change of direction in a BLY slide or recovering from a butterfly to push across to the other side. The longer steel catches much sooner and has helped me on at least a couple occasions to date.

FB30E96D-82FD-47DA-8116-84D83E33B965.jpeg6F7F9321-6448-4BF7-A607-0A9F186242B3.jpeg

As an example, I was left out to dry sliding toward my blocker side and anticipating a 1T. The player receiving the pass threw it right to another guy back door on the glove side. I had to stop quickly, pivot, and slide to other slide. I pulled it off. I don’t think I could have done it with traditional steel. 

If you throw the 1S and the 2S on the scale side by side, you will notice the assembled 2S skate is actually 3% heavier than the 1S. However, this is due to the steel and not the boot. The boot itself is about 2% lighter and the steel is about 25% heavier. However, the performance benefits of the steel absolutely make up for the 3% overall weight increase.

9F06ADFE-113B-4309-92B3-80B3E3A34961.jpegEA947204-54E8-447A-8898-7C4432DC2353.jpeg

The only new feature on the 2S I am not sure I am fully noticing is the Recoil tongue. The new tongue design, which consists of a plastic insert and 3 different pieces of felt, is designed to create a spring effect and help boost your pushes. This is something that I will continue to watch as we progress into a long term review.

954B5F97-8098-4285-B42C-4444E502E2AF.jpeg

In summary, the 2S is a great improvement over the 1S. Baring a complete unforeseen disaster, I have a feeling these will earn the coveted #NetWorthy rating. . .

On 12/16/2017 at 2:50 PM, ruckus007 said:

do you know if they have increased the "depth" of the top of the boot? I've always had issues with Bauer skates because my inside ankle bones are set a bit more forward, causing them to land near the eyelets.

This is NOT for the skate for you then. The fit has not changed, the material is just softer and more comfortable. 

However, you could be fine in 1X. That skate has more volume. My 1S was not a 100% amazingly perfect fit and I wire 1X unbaked and found them to be more generous. You should check them out if you get a chance. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am honestly pleasantly surprised and happy to report these skates softened up just a little. The 1S skates worked very well for me, but they would never win a comfort award. My 2S skates are getting fully broken to where they feel like my OG One100s and I can say my 2S skates are comfortable

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, mufforz said:

@TheGoalNet how many skates did it take to get that broken in feel?

I noticed the first time I tried them on for baking that they are way more supple and comfortable. After about 6-10 skates, the internals got a tad softer. I mentioned in another thread, I went to a public skate the other day and just bummed around in the these things. They are legit comfortable now and WAYYYYYYY improved over the 1S. 1S performed great, but I don't think I would ever said they are the most comfortable skates I have owned. 2S can be in that discussion. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2018 at 6:15 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Can't say enough good things thing about these wheels. I have the lacing dialed in and they are fantastic. 

They look like a nice skate. I'm pretty hesitant to go to a taller attack angle. Hell, I replaced my steel yesterday and the idea of regular step steel gives me the heebie jeebies.

It doesn't matter anyways, my toes don't fit in Bauer toe caps anyways.

58 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

They look like a nice skate. I'm pretty hesitant to go to a taller attack angle. Hell, I replaced my steel yesterday and the idea of regular step steel gives me the heebie jeebies.

It doesn't matter anyways, my toes don't fit in Bauer toe caps anyways.

It’s interesting what you say about attack angle. I’ve heard 2 different retailers said they question if some some of the knee, hip, or groun injuries the last couple years are from VH skates. They are a higher cut, your foot is more locked in, and the attack angle is different. If they are correct, there’s a lot of potentially new stresses on some muscles with lots of muscle memory

I noticed some knee tenderness a couple months ago. I’m not sure if that’s because I’m trying to use RVH as much as possible lately or my body getting used to the taller steel? 

Stretch more post gym workout now and the pain is gone ??

7 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

It’s interesting what you say about attack angle. I’ve heard 2 different retailers said they question if some some of the knee, hip, or groun injuries the last couple years are from VH skates. They are a higher cut, your foot is more locked in, and the attack angle is different. If they are correct, there’s a lot of potentially new stresses on some muscles with lots of muscle memory

I noticed some knee tenderness a couple months ago. I’m not sure if that’s because I’m trying to use RVH as much as possible lately or my body getting used to the taller steel? 

That's part of it too. I've only had an issue with a slip out or unable to get an edge in a bfly recovery recently when my blades were getting low. I don't feel the extra attack angle will improve my game much (if at all) and I don't want to spend some money on a product that will either leave me dissatisfied or potentially hurt. 

3 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

That's part of it too. I've only had an issue with a slip out or unable to get an edge in a bfly recovery recently when my blades were getting low. I don't feel the extra attack angle will improve my game much (if at all) and I don't want to spend some money on a product that will either leave me dissatisfied or potentially hurt. 

That one I’d question. This is one of those apple things. No one knew what they were missing with Blackberry until iPhone came out... 

it’s a night and day difference 

1 minute ago, TheGoalNet said:

That one I’d question. This is one of those apple things. No one knew what they were missing with Blackberry until iPhone came out... 

it’s a night and day difference 

Touche. Honestly, I would like to try them. But since I can't fit Bauer toe caps, i'm trying to soften the blow to myself to make myself feel better. :P

It's either CCM or True for me.

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Touche. Honestly, I would like to try them. But since I can't fit Bauer toe caps, i'm trying to soften the blow to myself to make myself feel better. :P

It's either CCM or True for me.

True / VH has you covered for sure and it probably the cleanest option. 

However, maybe the CCM is a nice middle ground? The fit on their new boot is supposed to be legit. Has the same attack angle as 1S, but it’s not as dramatic as 2S. 

@thebigm posted some great photos in the skates thread 

5 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

True / VH has you covered for sure and it probably the cleanest option. 

However, maybe the CCM is a nice middle ground? The fit on their new boot is supposed to be legit. Has the same attack angle as 1S, but it’s not as dramatic as 2S. 

@thebigm posted some great photos in the skates thread 

Currently in the CCM Ribcor 44K, had them for the past two years. They're showing their wear now, but still have some life left in them.

The new Tacks being released are definitely on my radar. I'm wanting to back to a composite boot after my NXG's. Wore those guys for 15 ice times before the foot pain was too much due to the small toe cap space.

So either some new skates this summer or a new C/A. As much as breaking in a new C/A is horrible, my LT90 is starting to get soft. Coupled that with me playing at a consistently high level of beer league next season, it'll probably be my next upgrade/

33 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Maria Mountain called this out in one of her weekly emails a few weeks ago.  She mentioned taller steel could be a bad idea, it puts more strain and twist into your joints.

Archived