WillyGrips13's GoPro Adventure

WillyGrips13

So I asked for a GoPro for Christmas. I finally got it up and running in February. Due to some computer issues, I only got to editing footage this week. This video is from the first outing. I should note that I tried to film a week prior to this, but I had a third party manufacturer's suction cup and it didn't hold at all, so that night I didn't film. For this video I used the jaws clamp made by GoPro. It's a good piece of hardware, however I look like a tiny human guarding a tiny goal with this set up. I got the GoPro suction cup shortly afterwards and the next videos will be from behind the goal. 

This skate is a regular group that plays Friday nights at a local outdoor rink. It's a mixed skill level group. I'm not sure if I'd put up the GoPro in my league games. I wouldn't want to jinx myself or draw extra attention to myself.

I probably put too much in this video. It's kind of long at 14+ minutes. I'll have to make shorter clips to fuse together on the next video. Feel free to play this while you make dinner, or fold laundry, or take a dump. Idk, whatever you want to do. You can barely see me in the video anyway. For the record, there were three goals scored on me in this skate. I didn't face a lot of action and they missed the net a lot.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I did it again with making too long of a video. However, this time I made it into two parts. This way you won't have to watch continuous video that lasts too long. I do like to capture the whole play including the lead up to the shot and how everything transpired, which makes the clips longer. I do think it's important to see how I'm moving around even if the shot misses or is blocked.

So this is the preferred behind the net vantage point using the GoPro brand suction cup that is very sturdy. I had to wear an alternate set of gloves because my regular set needs repair. I've sent my Simmons Matrix pro-spec gloves to Sara at PAW to have them fixed up. In this video I'm wearing Brian's pre-lockout spec Thief catcher and Airlite blocker. The catcher is heavy and there are two goals that go top shelf that I felt I was lifting an anchor to try to get the glove up there. Not sure if I would've stopped them with my regular glove, but I may have gotten closer. I've since switched to a Bauer x:60 set which is lighter.

Although I talk a lot to my players, the yelling you hear in this video is not me, but number 11 who was getting frustrated with his teammates' lack of movement. I concur with his assessment. I did however get highly annoyed with the third goal, because I felt I swung at the puck to deflect it and yet missed it each time. Six goal against in this one.

Here's the first portion of the night...

Hey Willy:

Try the fps on 60 or at least 40. The 1080 gets the clearest film. Here's the thing, even if you have the biggest memory card in the camera, make sure you have the battery fully charged. My skates are 120 mins and I can get only 90 mins at those settings with a fully charged battery. The next setting down - 960 - will get me 2 hrs but the video is a little grainy.

I had only a chance to watch the video titled "Second Part" and I am impressed. You are very quick and strong on your skates. Nice job! Keep them coming. Fun to watch you play. Your approach has elements of the old guy stand up method and elements of the modern "down game".

2 hours ago, Fullright said:

Hey Willy:

Try the fps on 60 or at least 40. The 1080 gets the clearest film. Here's the thing, even if you have the biggest memory card in the camera, make sure you have the battery fully charged. My skates are 120 mins and I can get only 90 mins at those settings with a fully charged battery. The next setting down - 960 - will get me 2 hrs but the video is a little grainy.

I had only a chance to watch the video titled "Second Part" and I am impressed. You are very quick and strong on your skates. Nice job! Keep them coming. Fun to watch you play. Your approach has elements of the old guy stand up method and elements of the modern "down game".

Thanks for the response. I skate with this group for the final time tomorrow night. They melt the ice and shut down the facility after that. I'll change the settings on the camera for that skate if I remember. 

As far as how I play, I agree that I have elements of stand up in my game. Ten years ago I updated my game by learning all the modern techniques. I was exclusively playing that way, but I was finding I was allowing goals in that I wouldn't before. So I reintroduced more traditional play while using the modern techniques where I felt they were still ideal. 

I will say that in league games I may play more modern than shown here. There's also an element of laziness that has made me stay on my feet more often. It gets tiring dropping and getting up all the time! And the deep wide stance is tiring, too. Also I was playing A LOT a few years ago, and I needed to find a way to conserve energy while I played. The Simmons 586 pads are good for the way I'm playing now. I am still considering going to a pad that has even more stand-up friendly elements like width at the boot break tapering up to the knee, while also keeping modern features like a smooth sliding surface on the inside of the pad and landing gear. Brown 287 or 2100 comes to mind.

Thanks for watching. A new pair of videos should go up later tonight.

Last skate at this rink for the season and then they melt it down. We had an hour and a half this time instead of an hour. The other goalie and I switched half way through the skate. I thought my camera was fully charged, but apparently not. It cut out maybe with 10-15 minutes left. Fullright did warn me to charge the camera fully, but since I thought it was already fully charged, I didn't charge again. Lesson learned. One goal against. A lot of very manageable shots, missing the net and playing the puck in this pair of videos.

Seems the videos play in a low resolution initially. Is that happening on your end? Why is that? How do I change that? They were filmed in high resolution.

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Why do they melt it down?

It's an outdoor rink and once youth hockey is done with it they don't want to keep it up just for adult hockey and public skates. Weather will be changing soon and making it hard to keep ice in. I'm sure it's all based on how much money they can make vs the cost of keeping it running. 

Video quality looks pretty good when you select the higher resolutions on YouTube (at least on my screen it does). Just check to make sure the encoding speed is the same as the source files when you are done editing and encoding the final video.

10 hours ago, Hills said:

Video quality looks pretty good when you select the higher resolutions on YouTube (at least on my screen it does). Just check to make sure the encoding speed is the same as the source files when you are done editing and encoding the final video.

I'm using the GoPro Studio editor. I selected "YouTube" from the preset drop down menu of the export menu. Should I select "HD 1080p" instead or "Custom"? The other choices are, "Mobile", "HD 720p", "Archive" and "Vimeo" 

The YouTube uploading process doesn't seem to offer any options.

The files I created look great when I view them locally on my computer. They just look crappy when viewed on YouTube or on this forum. I don't want the viewer to have to choose the HD setting. It should play at that quality automatically.

Please advise.

When you view your videos on YouTube they default to HD so that is no problem. I am not sure how to change the settings in the GoPro video editor, I never used it as I didn't like the options available so I can't really help here, sorry.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I re-edited the first night of footage and brought it down to under four minutes from a ridiculous 14+. I also exported the video from the GoPro Studio application at 1080p HD. I hope this will make the video play at a higher resolution by default. Perhaps I'll go back and re-edit and re-export the other nights to make them a more watchable length and at a higher quality.

Thought you played well. You're probably the best skater on your side. If there is an availability of a better skate, you might fit that better. Only thing I noticed is that early on, you were a little deep in your crease particularly on plays or shots to your right. But you straightened that out. I cant get the side view as good you got it here or as good as Imperative gets it. Good job in net and good video.

I need to start doing this.  My wife bought me a go pro for my birthday last August because I was watching videos like this and mentioned how I wanted to do this for myself.  It's been sitting in my closet ever since.  I am just too afraid to damage it.  Plus it seems like so much of a hassle to pause it and move it every period.  I wanna get Puck Eye but its so damn expensive.

7 hours ago, Fullright said:

Thought you played well. You're probably the best skater on your side. If there is an availability of a better skate, you might fit that better. Only thing I noticed is that early on, you were a little deep in your crease particularly on plays or shots to your right. But you straightened that out. I cant get the side view as good you got it here or as good as Imperative gets it. Good job in net and good video.

I usually have trouble getting started. Always takes a few minutes (periods?) for me to get comfortable. I like this particular skate because of the venue and the guys hang out after outdoors with beer and snacks. Although I may be capable of something faster, I've been really tired and lazy recently and am only barely getting by at this level. I'm now down to playing on one team as a goalie once a week. My game is very creaky and lethargic recently. I keep hoping to start yoga, but it never happens. I may be the most inflexible goalie ever. I also skate out on my gf's team and at a weekly rent-out with her. The other videos are from behind and above the goal and I prefer that angle. Not sure when I'll have new videos as I don't feel comfortable bringing this to games at this time. 

3 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I need to start doing this.  My wife bought me a go pro for my birthday last August because I was watching videos like this and mentioned how I wanted to do this for myself.  It's been sitting in my closet ever since.  I am just too afraid to damage it.  Plus it seems like so much of a hassle to pause it and move it every period.  I wanna get Puck Eye but its so damn expensive.

Yeah, for me I'm not comfortable bringing it to games. I feel too self-conscious and I feel as if it would be a distraction. I could see myself holding up the game trying to get the camera up or forgetting to take it down between periods or even after the game. Just not something I want to worry about during a game. 

6 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Yeah, for me I'm not comfortable bringing it to games. I feel too self-conscious and I feel as if it would be a distraction. I could see myself holding up the game trying to get the camera up or forgetting to take it down between periods or even after the game. Just not something I want to worry about during a game. 

Yea my worries would be holding up the game and people purposefully shooting at it as if its a target during the accuracy contest.  Plus I would have to bring my phone to the bench to pause it and start it because from the looks of the puck eye you can't access any buttons on the camera.  Just seems like too much of a hassle.

8 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

I usually have trouble getting started. Always takes a few minutes (periods?) for me to get comfortable. I like this particular skate because of the venue and the guys hang out after outdoors with beer and snacks. Although I may be capable of something faster, I've been really tired and lazy recently and am only barely getting by at this level. I'm now down to playing on one team as a goalie once a week. My game is very creaky and lethargic recently. I keep hoping to start yoga, but it never happens. I may be the most inflexible goalie ever. I also skate out on my gf's team and at a weekly rent-out with her. The other videos are from behind and above the goal and I prefer that angle. Not sure when I'll have new videos as I don't feel comfortable bringing this to games at this time. 

I'm the same way lately.  I've just come back from 3 years not playing in net and am more interested in being comfortable and relaxing into my game than anything else.  Kind of strange, but the competitive juices just aren't flowing like they used to, yet I have more fun playing this way.  It's actually tougher to play lower level for me because there isn't as much "flow" to the game and you end up having too much time to think than to just react, but again, I find it a little more enjoyable for me at this point.  I think that's why I stopped playing for a few years, it stopped being fun and started being too much about winning and performance...in beer league.

Archived