WillyGrips13's GoPro Adventure

WillyGrips13

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. This skate was poorly attended as many have been this winter, unfortunately. It gets annoying when some guys don't skate on the back end especially when the opponent is flying. Number 19 in white was killing me and some of the other guys were also annoyed with his laziness and long shifts. It figures that of the good skates we've had this winter, I happened to capture some of the worst ones, in terms of attendance and verve. 

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

I think I will not share any videos. You make me look like Dyson named a vacuum cleaner after me for how bad I SUCK at goal.

Don't sell yourself short bunny, you're a tremendous slouch.

Your post also reminds me of Spaceballs and Mega Maid...

Ok, here is a skate I subbed in on Thursday. This is the same one I was ranting about in the Hockey Chat thread in the Lifestyles forum. I usually am involved in skates that are relatively competitive and have some resemblance to a hockey game. This however, was a shinny session, where it's all offense and there is little pressure on anyone defensively. Tons of goals. I knew the skate was going to be a problem when ALL the good players came out on one side, the dark team. I was lucky and started on the good side. It must've been four or five to zero before I saw a shot. It took a grand total of 16 minutes before the other goalie asked to switch. It must've been eight or ten to two at that point. They also switched one of the good guys at that time, too. It leveled out for a while, maybe for a half hour, then it fell off a cliff and went back to ridiculousness. I showed ten goals against. After an hour or so, it got so ridiculous I stopped trying hard. I would just stand there and if it hit me good if not, who cares. Most of that I didn't show as it would be pointless. I did show one instance that turned out to be a three on zero in my crease. Somehow they messed it up even though I barely moved. I think there were 16 goals against me total, probably the same or more against the other guy. I guess if I am involved in a similar skate in the future, I'll have to just not worry about goals against and make the best of it. But really, they should've evened up the teams or we should've just stopped at an hour. Actually the last three skates I've subbed in have been like this, a total mess. It's usually because of holidays or poor attendance. I don't know how you guys do it with your shinny sessions. 

I hate those kind.   Most of the ones that I play in are kept pretty even, and some level of defense is played.    We have guys bring both dark and white jerseys and move guys around if it is obviously one-sided.    The goalies still see plenty of break-aways and odd-man rushes, but that just comes with the territory.    If I can keep  it to less than 1 goal per 10 minutes of ice time, I feel I have played pretty well.   Also, I keep track of break-aways in my head and set a goal of stopping at least half of them.   Last night I did back-to-back 90 minute sessions and stopped 7 of 11 combined.   4/5 in the first one, and 3/6 in the second.  That is a little better than usual for me.  I used to get beat on 75% or more, but all of the reps have been helping me improve on these.     I may not face that many break-aways in a whole season of league play, so I wouldn't really have the chance to improve on them.    

I thought you played pretty great. Try to forget stats or GA. Just focus on your play and the heck with the support; you wont get any obviously. Suppose it is a complement to your skill that the better players line up against you. Cool jersey again.

1 hour ago, Fullright said:

I thought you played pretty great. Try to forget stats or GA. Just focus on your play and the heck with the support; you wont get any obviously. Suppose it is a complement to your skill that the better players line up against you. Cool jersey again.

Thanks. I suppose I just need an attitude adjustment at these types of skates. Play for fun and not worry about goals against. Or maybe I just need a yellow blocker. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

I subbed with a regular group a week ago Monday. They break the skate up into two timed halves. Goalies switch at the half. Makes for a fairly even skate. Although much like any group in these parts, attendance varies and personnel changes.

I was very tired during this skate and was struggling and fighting the puck. Some rebounds and desperation saves resulted.

On 4/18/2017 at 7:28 PM, WillyGrips13 said:

Thanks. I suppose I just need an attitude adjustment at these types of skates. Play for fun and not worry about goals against. Or maybe I just need a yellow blocker. :thumbup:

That's the kind of stuff that made me quit my regular shinny through the winter.  Always the same teams, always the better players on one side.  At first I challenged myself to stop them as much as possible.  Worked for a bit, then I too gave up after getting bored.  

Worked out okay as I spared for an over 40 league I hope to join next winter and went 6-1 with a shutout in a playoff game.  Think I proved I was capable to play there. :)

It's always hard going in as a spare to a shinny as you have no idea how it usually goes.  Could have been a one off, but you won't know unless you go back.  Might be best to treat any shinny sparing as a chance to have fun and try shutting down the better players. 

• 3 months later...

So I subbed in a skate tonight. Figured I'd bring out the GoPro. Unfortunately, it fell after five or so minutes and it wouldn't stay on the glass. Not sure if this is because I haven't used it in forever and some dust built up on the suction cup or if the glass at this rink was too dirty. It's a shame, too, because we skated for over an hour and a half. Here's less than two minutes of nothing...

On 5/3/2017 at 0:05 PM, WillyGrips13 said:

I subbed with a regular group a week ago Monday. They break the skate up into two timed halves. Goalies switch at the half. Makes for a fairly even skate. Although much like any group in these parts, attendance varies and personnel changes.

I was very tired during this skate and was struggling and fighting the puck. Some rebounds and desperation saves resulted.

i thought you looked good, quick feet and glove. really nice save at 1:25! only thing i noticed was you went down a little early a couple of times. 

• 1 month later...

Finally got a chance to use the GoPro again. Subbed at the same Friday group from my last post. Luckily this time I sorted out the suction cup. Turns out I wasn't putting it up right. Unfortunately, I tilted the camera down a little, so I'm at the top of the screen in this video.

I didn't really feel comfortable at the beginning of the skate. I was having trouble staying centered so I was reaching at times. I eventually got better. I feel as though the GoPro is a jinx for me. I think I played well once while using it. I don't use it during league games and the apparent jinx will keep me from doing so.

They had some music playing during some of the skate and you might hear snippets of it. Hopefully there won't be any right's violation. I posted a video a week ago using a Led Zeppelin song and the video got taken down.

49 minutes ago, Fullright said:

Looked sharp Willy. Plus it looked like you were enjoying yourself. 

Really nice work playing the puck and passing it. Moved really well too. You have an uncanny ability to move your feet after you are down in the b-fly. Nice job!

Thanks. I am trying to not worry about goals against during these shinny sessions. Although at times you can tell by my body language I’m flabbergasted by some of the play in front of me. 

About ten years ago I introduced all the new techniques into my game. I was playing ALOT and I researched and practiced them often. However I then realized I was over using them, sliding out of the way at times. So I dialed it back and use new and old techniques when appropriate. 

19 hours ago, Fullright said:

Totally agree. Your approach has elements of both and have "learned" them such that, where it is appropriate,  you do both on the same play/shot. How often were you playing when it was a lot? I don't think in any over your film have you over-slid.

At the peak I was playing almost every day. Of course I overdid it and had to dial it back. When I was learning all the new techniques I was probably playing 4-6 times a week. During the period when I was playing almost the every day is when I found the good balance of old and new.

I’ve also been playing soccer as a goalkeeper for about ten years in adult leagues after a ten year layoff after college. I think it helps with cross-training. And I skate out as a forward and defenseman 1-2 times a week. 

The oversliding I’m talking about is a thing of the past. I was basically doing a butterfly push after a save when a recovery to my feet would’ve been better. And I ended up moving around too much on my knees and falling behind the play. 

• 2 weeks later...

So this is my second attempt at posting this video. After I posted it the first time, it disappeared later that day. My commentary was laced with sarcasm. Perhaps the server can’t handle that much sarcasm. Or maybe it was because I posted during the nebulous period when the clocks move back an hour. When daylights savings ends, so does your GoPro video. Well here it is without any setup. Enjoy, or don’t.

2:35, 5:17, lol @ 5:56, 6:15, sequence @ 8:30, nice Roy-type skate with the puck to close! Great work and like Imperative says, really sound positioning and getting set. I thought you had the blocker splits at 9 something. I'm sure there's more you can handle; need to see you with better players. Nice job, Willy.

Archived