What’s in your pocket?

cwarnar

I know it’s quite a bit off our normal topics of hockey... but my wireless contract has expired and I’m in the market for a new device. 

I’ve always only owned Apple Products since the decline of Blackberry (even tho I still have to use a BB Classic for work). But with the recent iOS issues and sky high costs of the devices I’m not impressed with going back with another bland Apple device. 

I’m really digging the Google Pixel 2/2 XL.  Best single camera, clean android Oreo and affordable (currently $19 on a 2 year contract).  Having never used Android how’s the switch been for those that have done it?

any and all opinions and reviews welcome  

0558E16D-285E-4E54-A18E-2E0DCB5B20B6.jpeg.398b8a9809ff90c046403861847f4134.jpeg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Pauly35or00 said:

Iphone 7 plus. I'm so invested in the Apple ecosystem that I really can't switch. I do like it quite a bit though.

I’m all Apple minus the cloud (don’t trust that shit)... but even now I use chrome, gmail and prefer google maps. 

I still love my iPad mini as well.  Even iPhone 7’s are $200-400 thru most providers up here in the great white north 

1 minute ago, cwarnar said:

I’m all Apple minus the cloud (don’t trust that shit)... but even now I use chrome, gmail and prefer google maps. 

I still love my iPad mini as well.  Even iPhone 7’s are $200-400 thru most providers up here in the great white north 

I use all those same APP's. I just recently upgraded from the 6+ to the 7+ and it was night and day speed wise. I'm with Rogers. I think I paid $150 for the upgrade with the highest storage which wasn't bad but i've been with them forever and fought not to change any pricing with my plan while adding data and dropping the price of the phone. It took some convincing and many calls to customer retention to accomplish my goal.

Also if you're looking to upgrade don't do anything until boxing day, the rep told me to wait it out and they could have done even better but my 6+ was smashed and basically useless so I was out of options.

2 minutes ago, Pauly35or00 said:

I use all those same APP's. I just recently upgraded from the 6+ to the 7+ and it was night and day speed wise. I'm with Rogers. I think I paid $150 for the upgrade with the highest storage which wasn't bad but i've been with them forever and fought not to change any pricing with my plan while adding data and dropping the price of the phone. It took some convincing and many calls to customer retention to accomplish my goal.

Also if you're looking to upgrade don't do anything until boxing day, the rep told me to wait it out and they could have done even better but my 6+ was smashed and basically useless so I was out of options.

That’s what I was hoping for if I stay with Apple, as there was Sweet FA for Black Friday deals. Sasktel (local provider here in sask) is doing some stupid pricing where they lower the price of the device but then charge you a monthly fee to recover the cost...

I may look at switching to Bell or Telus tho

55424017-D330-4A54-81CB-1DC6338FC04A.thumb.png.6af9c5ea0dfd894a8739f2322059348f.png

Still rockin' a an iphone 4S. It's small and answers my basic needs. Just wish it was lighter. I don't want a tv in my pockets. hands or pressed against my ears. I still have my BB Bold in my dresser drawer should my iphone die on me. I'm only at IOS 8 or 9 and that's fine, even thought it has some glitches now and then.

I've contemplated the newer iphone SE, and looked at the Essential model but it's huge compared to mine.

iPhone X for me. I’m on the upgrade program which is definitely the best way to go. Monthly payment, AppleCare is included, and you get a new phone every year on launch day.

I’m also in the developer program so I’m on beta iOS, Watch OS, TVOS and Mac OS at all times. I also use iCloud heavily. 

I wouldn’t go anywhere near an Android phone.

23 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

iPhone X for me. I’m on the upgrade program which is definitely the best way to go. Monthly payment, AppleCare is included, and you get a new phone every year on launch day.

I’m anywhere near an Android phone.

They offer that too.  But I’m not too keen on paying $399 plus tax and another $3/month for 1 year to rent a phone. 

Why no android?  The upside to the Pixel 2/2XL is it runs pure android with zero bloatware.  Supposedly widely accepted as the best android device out there 

34 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

They offer that too.  But I’m not too keen on paying $399 plus tax and another $3/month for 1 year to rent a phone. 

Why no android?  The upside to the Pixel 2/2XL is it runs pure android with zero bloatware.  Supposedly widely accepted as the best android device out there 

I honestly have absolutely no idea what you're talking about with your first paragraph. 

Because I think Android is garbage. 

29 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I honestly have absolutely no idea what you're talking about with your first paragraph. 

That’s how my carrier offers their upgrade program. You basically pay less for the phone to own it for a year. Then you can trade on a new device or buy out the existing phone

D5B81777-85A5-4D48-A901-D14F34A890B3.thumb.png.ed9f38ebd158ccc500de7746b2ea5ab7.png

They call it “Fast Forward”. The screen shot is the pricing the IPhone X

Pixel 2 user here. 

I'm an Android die hard, but it's an amazing phone. Not a fan of iPhones and how they operate really (I spent 3 years working as at a carrier, so I'm well versed). Camera and speakers are great. And if price is right go for it. 

Heavily reliant on Gmail, Google maps and chrome. And does what I need exceptionally fast.

1 hour ago, cwarnar said:

That’s how my carrier offers their upgrade program. You basically pay less for the phone to own it for a year. Then you can trade on a new device or buy out the existing phone

They call it “Fast Forward”. The screen shot is the pricing the IPhone X

I see. Mine is directly through Apple. Like $35-45/mo or so depending on model, nothing up front. 

Realistically when you consider that your $1200 phone (including the phone plus Apple care) you could probably sell on eBay for about $800 after a year, it works out to be about the same but with no contract and without the hassle of having to re-sell (though Apple products typically sell in less than an hour). 

Volvo is actually going to start doing similar with their cars, which is going to be awesome.

2 hours ago, Kayen said:

Pixel 2 user here. 

I'm an Android die hard, but it's an amazing phone. Not a fan of iPhones and how they operate really (I spent 3 years working as at a carrier, so I'm well versed). Camera and speakers are great. And if price is right go for it. 

Heavily reliant on Gmail, Google maps and chrome. And does what I need exceptionally fast.

That’s what I’m reading more and more.  Not sure if I wanna go for the XL with the screen issues and the large size. 

Bell offers either phone in the 64GB model for $19 on a 2 year contract plus a $200 credit on your bill... and $75 in Costco cash. No brainer I think 

3 hours ago, cwarnar said:

That’s what I’m reading more and more.  Not sure if I wanna go for the XL with the screen issues and the large size. 

Bell offers either phone in the 64GB model for $19 on a 2 year contract plus a $200 credit on your bill... and $75 in Costco cash. No brainer I think 

2XL screen issues didn't bother me. It's also a lottery. Try and see unit in store if you can, since some are better than others. I sincerely hope that Google doesn't return to LG as an OEM again. 

37 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

iPhone 8.  Getting more and more tired of all the glitches with the past few iOS releases.  If I didn't dislike Android I would be in the Google Pixel without a doubt.  Granted, I haven't had an Android phone since 2009-10.

This is what’s really pissing me off about Apple.  I’ve done clean installs on my iPhone 6 since iOS 11 launched. 

I’m supposed to be getting an S8 for work soon so I’m curious to see how I like android. Although a lot of videos I’ve watching said the switch is no big deal anymore 

iPhone 5S. Not sure I want or need to “upgrade” it any time soon. I don't need facial recognition. Heck I don't even use the fingerprint id on my phone. I do like its smaller size and even with a waterproof case, it fits perfectly in the right leg pocket of my Carhartt carpenter pants. I don't know how people carry the newer oversized phones around.

We're invested in the Apple world too but our Mac mini is 10 years old and no longer supported by the latest versions of MacOS and iTunes. In fact when I updated to iOS 10.x iTunes wouldn't connect with it anymore. It wanted me to update iTunes but I couldn’t because it wasn't supported by OSX Snow Leopard. Sigh. I bit the bullet and re-synced it with my work PC.

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@cwarnar similar boat. Want an iPhone X, not sure it’s worth it 

Google has a new cell plan in the states too that seems great 

Apple TV, MacBook, Apple Music, etc etc is what’s holding me back from making the Pixl switch 

let me know what you pick 

Will do... as of right now my game plan is to hold out until Boxing day... to see if the iPhone prices drop... I cannot fathom dropping:

- $399 for a 7+, $559 for a 8+, or $799 for an X vs $19 for a Pixel 2/2 XL

I was also looking a OnePlus 5T... but the better camera on the Pixels and the pure Android Oreo sell me on the Pixel

15 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

Will do... as of right now my game plan is to hold out until Boxing day... to see if the iPhone prices drop... I cannot fathom dropping:

- $399 for a 7+, $559 for a 8+, or $799 for an X vs $19 for a Pixel 2/2 XL

I was also looking a OnePlus 5T... but the better camera on the Pixels and the pure Android Oreo sell me on the Pixel

I would say stay away from the Apple ecosystem, go for the OnePlus Or the Pixel, gives you more flexibility.

Archived