Skate, Leg pads, Sticks questions

petikee94

Hi Guys, 

I've got a lot of questions for you. I'm a semipro goalie and I play in Hungarians third league.

First: I want to change my old Reactor skates to a newer one. I get a pair of 1S skates for a trial period and I really love them, but it costs too much for me. At the local hockey shop, I looked for a S170 skates, which has the same Vertexxx edge bladeholder, but it cost much less than the 1S.
What's the differencies between the skates? 

Second: Now I use CCM PRO twigs, but I think, it's time to change to Bauer Supreme line. 2 weeks ago, I can hold in my hands a 1S sticks and I get fall in love with it super light weights, but its same with the skates, the stick price is too much for me.
What's the difference between 1s and S170/S190 twigs? 

Third: I use at this moment CCM Eflex 2 leg pads. How can Carey Price and some other goalies slide with his pads so fast? Somewhere, I read about it, they uses Ski wax to get a perfect surface on their pads.
Is it true? 

Thanks for your answers!
Peter

For the pad sliding, some of the newer brands, have super sliding technology that makes people go super fast!

Nah, there's some gimmicky things that do offer a slight edge, but at that level it's not what's happening. Those guys practice (on good ice) day in and day out.

I'll answer the first two questions in one go. All that changes when you go from the pro line, to the Snr to the discount snr lines is minor advantages, materials used and overall durability. Working with a budget, the S190 will give you the most bang for your buck. The S170 lines are great entry lines to get into hockey, but that's as far as I would take it. They'll break down far quicker.

2 hours ago, petikee94 said:

Hi Guys, 

I've got a lot of questions for you. I'm a semipro goalie and I play in Hungarians third league.

First: I want to change my old Reactor skates to a newer one. I get a pair of 1S skates for a trial period and I really love them, but it costs too much for me. At the local hockey shop, I looked for a S170 skates, which has the same Vertexxx edge bladeholder, but it cost much less than the 1S.
What's the differencies between the skates? 

Second: Now I use CCM PRO twigs, but I think, it's time to change to Bauer Supreme line. 2 weeks ago, I can hold in my hands a 1S sticks and I get fall in love with it super light weights, but its same with the skates, the stick price is too much for me.
What's the difference between 1s and S170/S190 twigs? 

Third: I use at this moment CCM Eflex 2 leg pads. How can Carey Price and some other goalies slide with his pads so fast? Somewhere, I read about it, they uses Ski wax to get a perfect surface on their pads.
Is it true? 

Thanks for your answers!
Peter

First: If the 1S fits but you cant afford them, the S170 should work for you. They will be heavier but that doesn't matter much. 

Second: Why do you think its time to change to the Supreme line? What is giving you that idea? Do you not like the CCM? As for your question, the 1S is very light but also very expensive. The S170/S190 will be similar but heavier, though they very well could be more durable. At least in the player world, the lower end sticks are much more durable because they aren't expected to have the same performance. Personally I'd just stick to foam core if you're going to use a heavier stick anyway.

Third: Technique, mostly. Yes you can apply various things to the sliding surface but in reality that just masks a lack of ability (though for those of us who are never going to reach Carey Price's level of ability, it's not a bad way to assist you!) Passau sliding polish is apparently pretty good. I didn't find it helped me but others have raved about it. 

3 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

First: If the 1S fits but you cant afford them, the S170 should work for you. They will be heavier but that doesn't matter much. 

Second: Why do you think its time to change to the Supreme line? What is giving you that idea? Do you not like the CCM? As for your question, the 1S is very light but also very expensive. The S170/S190 will be similar but heavier, though they very well could be more durable. At least in the player world, the lower end sticks are much more durable because they aren't expected to have the same performance. Personally I'd just stick to foam core if you're going to use a heavier stick anyway.

Third: Technique, mostly. Yes you can apply various things to the sliding surface but in reality that just masks a lack of ability (though for those of us who are never going to reach Carey Price's level of ability, it's not a bad way to assist you!) Passau sliding polish is apparently pretty good. I didn't find it helped me but others have raved about it. 

I think I could be better with lighter sticks. That is the reason why I want to change. I browse a webshop and see there a CCM Premier 1.5 stick. What do you think about this stick? Which is better for me? CCM or Bauer

1st:

I will not be thinking about S170 skates (= lowest entry model) for the semi-pro goalie. They will worn out quickly. These skates are in my opinion made for kids or hobby players at entry level of game. Not for smeone who is every day (or every other day) at ice. Should wait for some sales on 1S/S190 ;).

2nd:

Sticks - it is about weight in the first place. Durability is debatable. Ever tought that top line is more durable, but don´t know now. One of my teammates used to have top line composite stick and after he broke it, he uses lowest old goalie model ONE60 - without any problems, it is beaten, but still holds well, longer then my newer TotalOnes/OnePro.

3rd:

Polishes/waxes can help, but I will try that at practice first. In my experience it depends on ice, sometimes it is even worse for sliding (don´t know exactly why, it has to do something with water used in ice rings). In my case it helps a little, but when I had chance to be at practice with pro goalie (Roman Will, Avalanche prospect.), it is in reality about skill&strenght - I think he can slide even in old Coopers ;) .

13 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I used Passau Polish for a bit. It works well. I’d say somewhere to between standard Jenpro and OptiSlide / CORtech. 

If I were at your level, I’d apply it before every game and it’ll help

I will try it! ;) thanks a lot

4 hours ago, mik said:

1st:

I will not be thinking about S170 skates (= lowest entry model) for the semi-pro goalie. They will worn out quickly. These skates are in my opinion made for kids or hobby players at entry level of game. Not for smeone who is every day (or every other day) at ice. Should wait for some sales on 1S/S190 ;).

2nd:

Sticks - it is about weight in the first place. Durability is debatable. Ever tought that top line is more durable, but don´t know now. One of my teammates used to have top line composite stick and after he broke it, he uses lowest old goalie model ONE60 - without any problems, it is beaten, but still holds well, longer then my newer TotalOnes/OnePro.

3rd:

Polishes/waxes can help, but I will try that at practice first. In my experience it depends on ice, sometimes it is even worse for sliding (don´t know exactly why, it has to do something with water used in ice rings). In my case it helps a little, but when I had chance to be at practice with pro goalie (Roman Will, Avalanche prospect.), it is in reality about skill&strenght - I think he can slide even in old Coopers ;) .

Yes, I get some information at our local hockey shop about S190's price. I will buy it in a few weeks. 

Thanks everyone, who helped me. 

1 hour ago, petikee94 said:

Yes, I get some information at our local hockey shop about S190's price. I will buy it in a few weeks. 

You're welcome. And welcome to the board ;) .

1 hour ago, petikee94 said:

I went w/ S190s myself. The only differences between S190 and the 1S were the insole insert, tongue material, and 2G steel. I went and bought the 3G steel... but have subsequently swapped out to Tydan. Much happier with it. 

10 hours ago, mik said:

I believe 100% that lower end model sticks are more durable. Likely because they're heavier/thicker and aren't expected to have top-end performance. I would never buy a top of the line stick ever again. For player composites, $100-120 is the sweet spot for me.

Archived