Northstar / GGSU Goalie Sticks

estogoalie

Rob Laurie is the guy. Pumps them all the time on the board. The GGSU sticks are Northstar branded GGSU  

Never used them but if you’re thinking of going custom foam core I’d highly recommend Passau.  They also offer a foam core with composite shaft. @GoalieTimmy33 can help you out as well. I loved mine and only moved them because I went to full composite. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cwarnar said:

Rob Laurie is the guy. Pumps them all the time on the board. The GGSU sticks are Northstar branded GGSU  

Never used them but if you’re thinking of going custom foam core I’d highly recommend Passau.  They also offer a foam core with composite shaft. @GoalieTimmy33 can help you out as well. I loved mine and only moved them because I went to full composite. 

I echo @cwarnar comment on Passau. Sticks are light (for foam core) and VERY durable. I'm waffleing between another batch of Passaus or a couple CR1s. If/when I break a Passau I'll pull the trigger on one or the other. 

Thanks. For foam-core I get Frontier. I know people there in Estonia, and since I'm in Europe, shipping is not too much. Shipping sticks from Canada is costly. From the US also a little costly, but not as bad as Canada for some reason. 

Actually, with NorthStar I was interested in their all-wood sticks. But ok, Rob Laurie, he used to be at GM, right? Isn't he also involved with Kenesky pads now too?

5 minutes ago, estogoalie said:

Thanks. For foam-core I get Frontier. I know people there in Estonia, and since I'm in Europe, shipping is not too much. Shipping sticks from Canada is costly. From the US also a little costly, but not as bad as Canada for some reason. 

Actually, with NorthStar I was interested in their all-wood sticks. But ok, Rob Laurie, he used to be at GM, right? Isn't he also involved with Kenesky pads now too?

I believe so... he's the Custom Gear Adviser now for Behind the Mask/Custom Goalie Outlet.  He was a TPS rep at one time and is a folk hero for beer leaguers as he has served as ann emergency back a handful of times

37 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I believe so... he's the Custom Gear Adviser now for Behind the Mask/Custom Goalie Outlet.  He was a TPS rep at one time and is a folk hero for beer leaguers as he has served as ann emergency back a handful of times

mld57p-b781093663z.120130416123219000gf0

Dream come true! ;) 

8 hours ago, cwarnar said:

He also looks after this site to,

http://www.goaliecages.com

Dealt with him about a cage and it arrived and noticed Robs name on it and a Michigan address.

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Are you sure about that?  I think I remember seeing him advertising custom 3 packs not too long ago. 

23 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

They do offer 3 packs now... all sticks are manufactured at the Heritage Stick Factory in Waterloo

Just basing the statement on what’s in their store. 

Normally, most companies require a minimum of 6 or 12 sticks for custom orders. They don't usually want to bother with setting everything up for only a couple of sticks. I only saw Fischer recently allowing a 3 minimum, but I don't think they are too readily available outside Europe.

https://www.fischersports.com/en_en/hockey_/custom-ice-goalie

In any case, I usually order in bulk so 6 is no problem. With 3 active goalies in my family, we burn thru alot of timber every winter :)

Stick rack in my basement:

stix.thumb.jpg.b2e53b65c15e4a9ce2aca14239281805.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, estogoalie said:

Normally, most companies require a minimum of 6 or 12 sticks for custom orders. They don't usually want to bother with setting everything up for only a couple of sticks. I only saw Fischer recently allowing a 3 minimum, but I don't think they are too readily available outside Europe.

In any case, I usually order in bulk so 6 is no problem. With 3 active goalies in my family, we burn thru alot of timber every winter :)

Are sticks on the right side (upper) Montreal 8000?

2 hours ago, mik said:

Are sticks on the right side (upper) Montreal 8000?

Yes! Good eye. But 9000 actually. Very nice stick :) My older son stole most of my Frontier sticks :fyea:

There's also some TPS sticks up there on the left. I was a big fan of their Aramid and Omega sticks. My younger son is using my old 25" Aramids (standing behind the Frontier stick) I had left over. I think I bought the wrong size or something, 25" is too small for me, but fine for my 10 year old.

Edited by estogoalie

7 hours ago, estogoalie said:

Passau and Warrior both do 3-packs so I'm set for either of those, which is the only thing I'd buy at this point anyway.

I pretty much never break sticks though so that helps. 

16 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Passau and Warrior both do 3-packs so I'm set for either of those, which is the only thing I'd buy at this point anyway.

I pretty much never break sticks though so that helps. 

I think Warrior only does 3-packs on composite sticks (or Foam-core as well?)

I usually don't break too many sticks either, but anyway retire 2 sticks every season just due to the fact they are beat to hell and lost stiffness. This season I did break two already: one of my old all-wood TPS RW4 got the blade cracked on a close, hard shot (not uncommon to happen to all-wood sticks), and then one of my Frontiers had the shaft splinter. On one 3rd League team I trained with last week, the other goalie broke 2 sticks in the one training (!) One looked like a low-end Fischer, so not surprising, but the other was a decent looking Warrior. Maybe they were already damaged, who knows.

Even tho all-wood sticks are not so durable on the blade, I'm still a sucker for them, I love the feel, very stiff. I just ordered a 3-pack of all wood DR sticks, they had an Aramid strip on the shaft, looked like my old TPS, I'll have to see when I get them. Maybe I'll order more, if possible (the shop only had 3 in stock, and were not sure if they could get more, said they were samples :( )

4 hours ago, estogoalie said:

I think Warrior only does 3-packs on composite sticks (or Foam-core as well?)

I usually don't break too many sticks either, but anyway retire 2 sticks every season just due to the fact they are beat to hell and lost stiffness. This season I did break two already: one of my old all-wood TPS RW4 got the blade cracked on a close, hard shot (not uncommon to happen to all-wood sticks), and then one of my Frontiers had the shaft splinter. On one 3rd League team I trained with last week, the other goalie broke 2 sticks in the one training (!) One looked like a low-end Fischer, so not surprising, but the other was a decent looking Warrior. Maybe they were already damaged, who knows.

Even tho all-wood sticks are not so durable on the blade, I'm still a sucker for them, I love the feel, very stiff. I just ordered a 3-pack of all wood DR sticks, they had an Aramid strip on the shaft, looked like my old TPS, I'll have to see when I get them. Maybe I'll order more, if possible (the shop only had 3 in stock, and were not sure if they could get more, said they were samples :( )

Warrior does 3-packs of foam core.

On 12/13/2017 at 8:30 AM, cwarnar said:

He was also one of the very best roller goalies back in the 2000s, won a bunch of Narch Pro titles and I think a few gold medals at the world championships.