Ottawa Senators Franchise In Trouble?

ULTIMA

According to the Senators' owner, low attendance combined player salaries have made him toy with the very real possibility of relocating.

He's goes on to say that he loves hockey and rather move than sell. Also said that when the team is in the 3rd round of the playoffs and you are "begging" people to buy a ticket that something is wrong.

What a downer with the outdoor game around the corner. I get the feeling that the Montreal fans will outnumber Ottawa fans.

I agree with him.  If you're an NHL team in the 3rd round of the playoffs (especially in Canada where hockey is the prime sport) and you don't have a sold out arena for every game, then something is definitely broken with the franchise.  As IP said, this team needs to be in downtown Ottawa.  It makes no sense to play way out of town like that.

14 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

According to the Senators' owner, low attendance combined player salaries have made him toy with the very real possibility of relocating.

He's goes on to say that he loves hockey and rather move than sell. Also said that when the team is in the 3rd round of the playoffs and you are "begging" people to buy a ticket that something is wrong.

What a downer with the outdoor game around the corner. I get the feeling that the Montreal fans will outnumber Ottawa fans.

If you're going to post a thread like this please make sure you post the article instead of posting information as your own words.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ottawa-owner-talks-moving-senators-becomes-disaster-yes/

OTTAWA – On the eve of the grandest celebration in modern Ottawa Senators history — what Eugene Melnyk predicted would be “the greatest outdoor game to date” — the owner of the National Hockey League team brought up the idea of moving his franchise.

“I’m not going to blow a lifetime of working hard to support a hockey team. It’s not gonna happen,” Melnyk said at Parliament Hill, prior to puck drop on the Senators alumni game.

“The bigger question is whether I’m prepared to blow all that money I made over many years in a different industry in a different country.

“How long can you underwrite a team?”

Melnyk vehemently denied rumours that he is looking for a buyers or equity investors in his team, which is struggling financially and, so far this season, on the ice.

Would Melnyk, who now resides in the Barbados, actually consider moving the Senators?

“If it becomes a disaster, yes. If you start not seeing crowds showing up, yes,” he said. “But, for now, we are on the cusp of doing OK.”

• 3 months later...
On 12/16/2017 at 4:04 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

If you're going to post a thread like this please make sure you post the article instead of posting information as your own words.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ottawa-owner-talks-moving-senators-becomes-disaster-yes/

Do we need to add footnotes too? The OP summarized what he read, far from plagiarism.

In fact, it's basically modern reporting anymore.

• 7 months later...

The Ottawa Senators have placed Mike Condon on waivers, following his rough game last night against Arizona. The Sens’ backup goalie, originally acquired via trade from the Pittsburgh Penguins two years ago, was pulled last night after giving three goals on eleven shots, including this blunder, in his second start of the season.

This could mean a few things for the Senators. It could simply be sending a message to Condon, and hoping he can regain some confidence in the AHL if he ends up clearing. One of Mike McKenna or Filip Gustavsson could be recalled (likely McKenna) while Condon gets his act together.

But because this is the Senators, it’s hard to ignore the possibility that this is just another desperate attempt to cut costs, similar to the Zack Smith situation earlier this year. Condon is signed for one more year after this on a rising salary, as although his average pay throughout the contract is $2.4 million, he’ll be making $2.5 million this season, and $3 million the year after. With his poor early play, this could be an opportunistic chance for the Senators to unload one of their worse contracts.

9 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

They’re seriously blaming this on Condon. You sit him for several games and expect him to be all ready to go, yes you’re an nhl goalie but it still doesn’t work like that. They’re making a mistake which is common for this organization I guess. 

Eh, Condon has had many chances at the show and has never really made the jump successfully enough to stick around.

I'm more surprised teams kept giving him a chance.

8 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

They’re seriously blaming this on Condon. You sit him for several games and expect him to be all ready to go, yes you’re an nhl goalie but it still doesn’t work like that. They’re making a mistake which is common for this organization I guess. 

I don't know if it's blaming him. They are jusy cheap. Remember Toronto waiving Enroth after a handful of games? It's not uncommon.

On a related note, if he strapped his pads like a normal person, I don't think that puck squeaks under the pad. Looked like the pad rotated oddly. 

I recall a couple seasons ago when he signed his current contract that he was a hot commodity because at the time he looked like a 1b backup. I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume those same teams will not accept him on the same contract now.

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Eh, Condon has had many chances at the show and has never really made the jump successfully enough to stick around.

I'm more surprised teams kept giving him a chance.

He had a pretty good stint with the Canadiens when price was hurt or was that just me? 

Its not the fact that he’s blown chances of having a starter position, it’s that the senators basically sat him for several games and said yknow what, let’s throw you in there behind a bad team and see what happens ?

28 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

He had a pretty good stint with the Canadiens when price was hurt or was that just me? 

Its not the fact that he’s blown chances of having a starter position, it’s that the senators basically sat him for several games and said yknow what, let’s throw you in there behind a bad team and see what happens ?

From what I remember he started red hot with the Habs before dipping considerably. In his defense, that was also a poorly constructed roster, and the coaching staff did nothing to insulate Condon. Basically exposed Habs' over reliance on Price being near perfect.

He's better than me, so with that painfully point-mooting revelation out of the way...

I've always thought of him as one of those 1b/hot backup types that gets overblown by fans and media then turns out to be mediocre at best, eventually winding up in Europe or AHL after a few seasons. Andrew Hammond, Lindback, even Ben Scrivens is another example. Hot for a minute, gone the next.

Condon had a rough year last season.  So did Anderson and they still had Condon backing up instead of getting a chance a few games in a row.  It couldn't have made the season any worse.  But again this year, Anderson was WEAK early on, Condon got one game.  Against the Bruins, who were going to tear Ottawa a new one regardless of who was in goal.  Anderson gets another 4-5 games in a row, then they toss Condon in at the end of a road trip.  Being setup for failure.

In Montreal he started well, but was ridden too hard and dropped off.  He performed very well in 16/17 for Ottawa and then Anderson came back well rested after 2 months away and went on a tear.  It wouldn't surprise me to see him snagged off re-entry waivers.  Get him for nothing and only pay 50% of salary = win.

Guys I liked Condon - I even called it when he came to the Canadians Camp that he was going to make the team! Not sure what happened since but playing for a cheapskate owner like Ottawa's is sad I hope he gets picked up.

As far as Ottawa is concerned I hope that they end up moving to Quebec!!

1 hour ago, Big2 said:

Guys I liked Condon - I even called it when he came to the Canadians Camp that he was going to make the team! Not sure what happened since but playing for a cheapskate owner like Ottawa's is sad I hope he gets picked up.

ive always been a fan of condons. just one of those guys you cant help but root for imo. his journey to the nhl is really inspiring

3 hours ago, Big2 said:

I wanna see a Québec team happen too, but moving the same squad 4-5 hours up north won't change the results. It's not like when the Nordiques moved to Colorado, they had a good team to work with.

40 minutes ago, RichMan said:

I wanna see a Québec team happen too, but moving the same squad 4-5 hours up north won't change the results. It's not like when the Nordiques moved to Colorado, they had a good team to work with.

Add a team in Seattle.

Move the Canes or Panthers to Quebec and be done. (Maybe Arizona to Houston while I’m at it). 

Relocation sucks, I lived around Hartford when the Whalers left. I was a small kid, but I remember being completely confused how it could happen. 

The reality is that the scenario above is teams in the right places and an even 32. Would be good for the league to guide them through the next decade or 15 years.

Once they get to 32, they need to get Calgary and Ottawa new buildings. 

then they consider 34 in 2030? 

Jon Quick is out with the kiss of death for goalies knee surgery. With his age, mileage, and...unorthodox technique this is not good. Condon/Campbell isn't exactly what I'd feel safe with as a coach/gm, but desperate times calls for desperate measures as they say.

10 hours ago, Big2 said:

I'd prefer they stay.  Not because I want to cheer for them anymore, but because it'd be WAY harder to see other teams live.

5 hours ago, Hockey School Dropout said:

I'd prefer they stay.  Not because I want to cheer for them anymore, but because it'd be WAY harder to see other teams live.

Also because who doesn't love to watch a complete franchise shitshow? It's like a soap opera but real.

Archived