Recording games

cwarnar

Searched and couldn’t find a thread yet... looking to invest in Go Pro alternative.  Doing some research and am leaning towards an SJCAM... The 4000 model ($69CAD on Amazon with accessories).  

Wondering if anyone is using or has used one?  Also wondering if suction cup mounts are the way to go. 

Any and and all info welcome!

B264C9B3-B5D9-4DB7-BEED-630C1F43A757.thumb.jpeg.401ff4abc334fd64d740d24e24c3b61f.jpeg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Yes to suction cup mounts. I’ve heard good things about Garmin cameras. I won’t be buying another GoPro. Too expensive and the battery is so small I can’t film an entire game in 4K

Copy that... another one off GoPro that seems rated high is the AKASO EK7000... which will do 4K 

I was going to start a thread on what I just bought but this seems like a good place to respond.

I couldn't afford the $400+ entry fee but for a real GoPro but for $80 CDN I got the ODRVM action camera that takes 1080p (30fps) video, 12M pictures and has wifi for remote control via a smartphone app. It came with an assortment of accessories in a nice soft shell zippered case. Along with a 32GB microSD card, suction cup mount and a helmet mount, I'm into it for $125 courtesy of Amazon.

I tested the suction cup mount outside on my window and it fell off in less than 10 minutes. So much for the high positive ratings. I didn't have any confidence that it would fare any better at the rink, so I fabricated a wood mount to sit on top of the rink glass. I attached a quick connect clip to it and the corresponding clip to the waterproof case. This is what it looks like:

IMG_7191.thumb.JPG.8224c5d8610a33b96209fdb7d0f23baa.JPG

I played on Saturday night and the setup worked great, framing the rink perfectly. I shot in 1080p, 30fps. Compared to the videos I've seen here from GoPro users, my video looks softer and and not as sharp. I'm using the default settings for white balance, ISO, etc. so maybe there can be some improvements possible but I'm okay with the quality for the price.

Burners.jpg.1e0082e491766f95978a2e494abb2f01.jpg

The only issue I had with the camera is that it would only take 10 minutes videos and then start a new one, even with the cyclic recording feature disabled. So for this 90 minute session I had 10 videos. I couldn't find a solution online but contacted customer service on the ODRVM website. I explained my problem and the next day I received a new firmware file. I loaded that onto the camera and the issue has been resolved. So despite being a budget camera, the customer service was excellent.

I've watched some of the video and it wasn't as cringeworthy as I thought it might be. I actually played well (for me) and it was the first time I felt like my butterfly slides and pushes were happening instinctively rather than after a brief, but discrete, moment of conscious thought. After I edit it, I may post it for critical review.

So one of our traditions is that last goal wins. It's everybody on the ice, no offside. It's overtime! I was the winning goalie despite losing the mini-games 5-0 and 5-4 but up 2-1 in the third.

5a3762d4bae06_BurnersOT.jpg.29fd79f9b010ba070a1722fc197db93e.jpg

@KootenayKeeper which suction cup mount did you have?  I found a decent one for $12.99 on Amazon -https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01C2MDPA0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_yejoAbDF4E44C

I was looking at the ODRVM as well... there seems to quite a market for action cameras not called GoPro. 

I’d likely shoot in the 1080P/30FPS as well. No need for 4K as of right now

That looks exactly like the one I bought but mine is also made by ODRVM. I suspect that they are all made by the same manufacturer.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01ENCFA50/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But after it failed in my home test I had no confidence in it. I thought it would be a matter of when and not if it fell. Others here use the suction cup so best to ask what they use.

Because our game was split I changed batteries at the ice clean. In my home test the battery lasted 2 hours but I'm sure that it would be less in a cold environment.

The camera you linked to has the same specs and accessory kit mine does, and it is $10 cheaper. Again, my guess is that these are all churned out by the same manufacturere.

I think you really need at least 50 or 60 fps to film a fast moving sport like hockey. I have a TG Tracker that I use with a suction cup on the glass sometimes (see video here shot at 1080p/60fps). It does have 4k, but only 30 fps, and I found the video quality too choppy at 30fps. Also the files were HUGE. And 4k with 60fps the files would be even BIGGER, and drain the battery faster. So I think for now I'll stick with 1080p and 50/60fps, and move to 4k at 60fps in a few years when all the technology progresses (hard drives, batteries, cameras fps, etc.).

I have the GoPro brand suction cup mount and can vouch for its effectiveness, but keep in mind it depends on how clean the glass is and the seal you get. Setting it with a towel helps. 

For those worried about battery life with a GoPro, I have and use one of these battery cases:

9386F3EE-3B85-4C37-9CA4-4F47AC1B2EA8.thumb.jpeg.b7459880424b2788219904c9a18a7a34.jpeg

DECADE GoPro Rechargeable BacPac,Power Extended Battery Pack for GoPro HERO5 Black with a Waterproof Housing Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072K9ZGLG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_awLj2BZNfUq8j

This one gives me plenty of juice to record a full game in 4K. 

There are others available on amazon. 

1 hour ago, Punisher Goalie said:

I have the GoPro brand suction cup mount and can vouch for its effectiveness, but keep in mind it depends on how clean the glass is and the seal you get. Setting it with a towel helps. 

For those worried about battery life with a GoPro, I have and use one of these battery cases:

9386F3EE-3B85-4C37-9CA4-4F47AC1B2EA8.thumb.jpeg.b7459880424b2788219904c9a18a7a34.jpeg

DECADE GoPro Rechargeable BacPac,Power Extended Battery Pack for GoPro HERO5 Black with a Waterproof Housing Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072K9ZGLG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_awLj2BZNfUq8j

This one gives me plenty of juice to record a full game in 4K. 

There are others available on amazon. 

A 2300 mAh is enough to record a full game in 4K@60? Well okay then, good to know. I'll go ahead and buy the 2500 mAh I'd been looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0725W5KGZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A26DOG57FL5OY2&psc=1

image.thumb.png.a3c063f8d8f0d6c8abc7f2f1f1b1d3d4.png

There's also a 5200 mAh pack that is huge but would definitely work:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJ7RGWC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3PM5E5O8LFX4R&psc=1 

image.thumb.png.c83d774ba1b6f698c5007bc9bada3a83.png

12 hours ago, KootenayKeeper said:

I was going to start a thread on what I just bought but this seems like a good place to respond.

I couldn't afford the $400+ entry fee but for a real GoPro but for $80 CDN I got the ODRVM action camera that takes 1080p (30fps) video, 12M pictures and has wifi for remote control via a smartphone app. It came with an assortment of accessories in a nice soft shell zippered case. Along with a 32GB microSD card, suction cup mount and a helmet mount, I'm into it for $125 courtesy of Amazon.

I tested the suction cup mount outside on my window and it fell off in less than 10 minutes. So much for the high positive ratings. I didn't have any confidence that it would fare any better at the rink, so I fabricated a wood mount to sit on top of the rink glass. I attached a quick connect clip to it and the corresponding clip to the waterproof case. This is what it looks like:

IMG_7191.thumb.JPG.8224c5d8610a33b96209fdb7d0f23baa.JPG

How do you reach the top of the glass?

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

How do you reach the top of the glass?

Already considered doing that - get a 4 - 6 foot wooden dowel (say 3/8" diameter). Glue an adapter on one end that fits into the hollow butt end of your stick (some sort of collar so it slides down a few inches for stability). Then drill a 7/16" diameter blind hole in the bottom edge of the piece of wood the camera mounts to. Slip the dowel into the 7/16" hole, the adapter end into your stick and with the combination of your reach the, dowel and some of your stick length you can probably reach 12 - 14 feet off the ice. Hook it on he glass, the dowel comes out of the mount and gets stored by your spare stick on the bench. Reverse the process when leaving or changing ends

(You could get a super long dowel or other rod and just use it, but that's a bit of pain to haul around to games etc)

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

A 2300 mAh is enough to record a full game in 4K@60? Well okay then, good to know. I'll go ahead and buy the 2500 mAh I'd been looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0725W5KGZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A26DOG57FL5OY2&psc=1

image.thumb.png.a3c063f8d8f0d6c8abc7f2f1f1b1d3d4.png

Just FYI I bought that stuff one previously and returned it. Build quality was really bad, very hard to get the camera in and out of it and it blocks the rear screen. YMMV, but just thought I should give you my experience with that model. 

11 minutes ago, Ghostender said:

Already considered doing that - get a 4 - 6 foot wooden dowel (say 3/8" diameter). Glue an adapter on one end that fits into the hollow butt end of your stick (some sort of collar so it slides down a few inches for stability). Then drill a 7/16" diameter blind hole in the bottom edge of the piece of wood the camera mounts to. Slip the dowel into the 7/16" hole, the adapter end into your stick and with the combination of your reach the, dowel and some of your stick length you can probably reach 12 - 14 feet off the ice. Hook it on he glass, the dowel comes out of the mount and gets stored by your spare stick on the bench. Reverse the process when leaving or changing ends

(You could get a super long dowel or other rod and just use it, but that's a bit of pain to haul around to games etc)

I can't imagine going through all that effort between periods. The suction cup works just fine :P 

7 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Just FYI I bought that stuff one previously and returned it. Build quality was really bad, very hard to get the camera in and out of it and it blocks the rear screen. YMMV, but just thought I should give you my experience with that model. 

I didn't even think about the screen. I don't actually care about the screen (my last two GoPro models didn't even have a rear screen) but it's a good point. The side-by-side option is probably better in that case. Though I'm testing at my desk today... I'm at 49 minutes and still have 17% battery left. Maybe it's just that the shit higher capacity (1500 mAh) 3rd party batteries I was trying drain faster. 

6 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I can't imagine going through all that effort between periods. The suction cup works just fine :P 

I worked through this because one of the arenas I play at won't let you put a camera on the inside (rink-side) of the glass*, so this would allow me to hook the camera (assuming I can ever afford one) on the outside without having to do it before I got changed and then leave it to have someone else go home with it while I am out of eyesight.

* they actually won't let you have a camera anywhere near the ice surface as one forward with a helmet mount found out

Just now, Ghostender said:

I worked through this because one of the arenas I play at won't let you put a camera on the inside (rink-side) of the glass*, so this would allow me to hook the camera (assuming I can ever afford one) on the outside without having to do it before I got changed and then leave it to have someone else go home with while I am out of eyesight.

* they actually won't let you have a camera anywhere near the ice surface as one forward with a helmet mount found out

Gotcha. We have one ref who is super anal about it (the rest of them will do things like waive to the camera). If I see he's reffing I just stick it to the outside of the glass. 

Archived