Recording games

cwarnar

Just now, IPv6Freely said:

Gotcha. We have one ref who is super anal about it (the rest of them will do things like waive to the camera). If I see he's reffing I just stick it to the outside of the glass. 

LOL - this wasn't even a ref that shut the forward down. We were playing shinny and someone from admin that is so far out of eyesight it's unbelievable came running to the players' bench and call the guy over before warmup was over. Talk about big brother...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Ghostender said:

LOL - this wasn't even a ref that shut the forward down. We were playing shinny and someone from admin that is so far out of eyesight it's unbelievable came running to the players' bench and call the guy over before warmup was over. Talk about big brother...

That's super dumb. I completely get it in divisions that actually matter, but in beer league who gives a shit? I mean we're in a division that doesn't even require certified helmets after all. 

I've told refs (the ones who aren't morons) before that it's the only coach I've ever had. LOL.

I actually had the rink director tell me he's fine with them, but of course getting him to communicate that to the refs is impossible. 

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

I would think it would make it last longer, wouldn't it? Considering how hot the GoPro gets during recording... 

I'm doubtful... I'm just thinking of cell phone batteries as well as my DJI P4 Pro I use at work... Battery life goes quick in the cold

I usually use it at an outdoor rink so it may be slightly colder than an indoor rink. Two weeks ago I used it at the outdoor rink for an hour skate, stopped the recording and started it again for the next skate also an hour. Even though I charged it that day and I brought it back into the locker room between skates, it still died with a half hour left in the second skate. And I had plenty of space left on the memory card. 

It’s a GoPro Hero Session set to 1080 - 60. I use the GoPro suction cup mount and it’s solid. I also have a third party sunction Cup mount that’s not strong enough for use on ice rink glass. 

4 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I would think it would make it last longer, wouldn't it? Considering how hot the GoPro gets during recording... 

Temperature has a huge effect on battery life - the lower the temp the shorter the life. Once you get around (or below) freezing it definitely becomes an issue

These are my two camera set ups. Both filming 1080p at 60fps. The Sony with the clamp I use at my home games and clamp it to a rail near my team bench. The suction mount TG Tracker I use for away games, or rinks I'm not familiar with. Then I just stick it to the glass also by my team bench. Both cameras have removable batteries, so I keep an extra in the bag and can change it in the locker room between periods (well, the Sony now has a crazy big battery that can go 8 hours, so no problems there). The only thing is I can only record myself the 1st and 3rd periods :/ Altho I let it run for the 2nd period usually, and make the highlights of my team attacking.

cams.jpg

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So how many late night sessions with the league coordinator did you need to pull to get this?

Just asking for a friend...

In Switzerland, the amature league, Div.1 to 4 and the youth teams, fall under the Swiss Ice Hockey Federation, and the rules apply to all teams, including ice resurface breaks between periods, time clocks, match reports, refs and linesmen, etc.. Very formal and organized, as it's meant as a development league (ie: "competitive hockey").  Outside of that, there is "non-competitive" hockey, which would be self-organized teams, usually 40+ or beginners, or friends, etc, and they just book their own ice and organize things themselves. Sometimes I play with these teams as well when I need extra ice time, and they usually play 2x 45min non-stop (no scoreboard or clock) with an ice cleaning in between and a 15 min warm up, so 2 hours total.

34 minutes ago, estogoalie said:

In Switzerland, the amature league, Div.1 to 4 and the youth teams, fall under the Swiss Ice Hockey Federation, and the rules apply to all teams, including ice resurface breaks between periods, time clocks, match reports, refs and linesmen, etc.. Very formal and organized, as it's meant as a development league (ie: "competitive hockey").  Outside of that, there is "non-competitive" hockey, which would be self-organized teams, usually 40+ or beginners, or friends, etc, and they just book their own ice and organize things themselves. Sometimes I play with these teams as well when I need extra ice time, and they usually play 2x 45min non-stop (no scoreboard or clock) with an ice cleaning in between and a 15 min warm up, so 2 hours total.

Depending on the ice time, minor hockey or public skating goes before us and they don't tear up the ice too much. So we just move the ice clean to before game from mid-game.

3 hours ago, estogoalie said:

Are you looking for a roommate?B|

My fully charged battery lasted 1hr 13minutes so I didn't get the last 20 minutes or so. No overtime.

I recorded the video in 720p 60fps tonight. Quality is pretty good, but I could play the video at 1/2 speed in Quicktime and see the puck blur, which I couldn't with the 1080p 30fps recording.

Another thing, I shot tonight's video as a single recording which ended up being 4GB. I tried loading it in Windows Live Movie Maker but it was taking forever. I'm thinking next time I'll record in 10 minute segments to work with smaller files. Is that the preferred method? Any other recording & editing tips from the video veterans?

9 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Are you looking for a roommate?B|

I've already got two! (my sons both play :) )

8 hours ago, KootenayKeeper said:

So what software does everybody use to edit their videos?

I use Wondershare Filmora, I think it cost like $50 and you can install it on 5 computers. I just do basic stuff, I'm not a visual arts guru, and it works fine for me.

2 hours ago, KootenayKeeper said:

My fully charged battery lasted 1hr 13minutes so I didn't get the last 20 minutes or so. No overtime.

I recorded the video in 720p 60fps tonight. Quality is pretty good, but I could play the video at 1/2 speed in Quicktime and see the puck blur, which I couldn't with the 1080p 30fps recording.

Another thing, I shot tonight's video as a single recording which ended up being 4GB. I tried loading it in Windows Live Movie Maker but it was taking forever. I'm thinking next time I'll record in 10 minute segments to work with smaller files. Is that the preferred method? Any other recording & editing tips from the video veterans?

Do 1080p at 60fps, if you can. The resolution (1080p) gives the clarity, ie: more pixels per frame, and the fps gives more "fluidity" between the frames, ie: not-so-choppy playback. So with 1080p at 30fps, you will have better resolution, ie: you can see the puck clear, but then when watching the video in real time, it will look choppy. With 720p at 60, you will get smoother playback, but then the resolution won't be as good, ie: puck may not be so clear.

As for file size, it doesn't matter to me. My Sony camcorder cuts the files into 4GB I think (I think that's the max limit for some file system? FAT or NTFS?) On my action-cam (TG Tracker) it cuts files shorter, I think. With Wondershare viedo editor, I have no problem loading a 4GB file and editing. But I have a PC with 32GB RAM and an i5 4x3GHZ processor, so maybe if you have a slower PC it's more problematic?

The way I edit the video, is to first play it back in full screen (in VideoLAN player), and make notes of the start/stop times when there is some action (ie: shots). Then I load the video into the editor, and cut out the action parts and put them together.

6 minutes ago, Znowleopard said:

Adobe Premier Pro cc, if you can swallow the price its probably one of if not the best editing software.

I have that (I'm a full CC user) but opened it once and the interface was just so completely different from what I was used to I decided to stick to FCPX for now. I'd actually like to move to Premiere at some point since I'm paying for that but not yet paying for FCPX.

iMovie is almost identical to FCPX in interface and free and honestly I could probably just use that because I'm certainly not using any advanced features of FCPX.

I also use a Contour Design Shuttle-Xpress for editing. It's nice for scrolling through the video and having dedicated buttons for your markers. 

image.png.5c4532996397aa5dabd0dcc1972c6074.png

Archived