Trends in Goaltending 2017

TheGoalNet

7 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

So what ever happened to going without toe-ties all together? Remember on GSBB I think it was Temple who was a no toe-tie advocate? He had a whole thread devoted to convincing all of us to not use them at all. And have nothing attaching our skate toe to the pad toe. I don’t see anyone saying that anymore. 

I tried that for half a session. Cobbled laces together and finished with laces.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

So what ever happened to going without toe-ties all together? Remember on GSBB I think it was Temple who was a no toe-tie advocate? He had a whole thread devoted to convincing all of us to not use them at all. And have nothing attaching our skate toe to the pad toe. I don’t see anyone saying that anymore. 

For most people these days there’s so much slack in them that they might as well not have them at all. 

Thats why elastic ties are so great. All the benefits of no ties, no drawbacks, and the additional benefit of helping your pads rotate back which can be helpful depending on how tightly you strap your pads. 

3 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

I remember seeing that, still think it was nonsense and preposterous.

Just because a big name pro goalie does something and it works for them doesn't mean it'll work for me or you or whoever.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

I might have imagined this, but did I hear that some NHL team's Owners/GM's/Coaches restrict the colors their goalies could use on their pads? I want to say it was related to Calgary.

Ben Scrivens wasn't allowed to wear his black Vaughn Pulses in LA. 

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

By who’s orders?

Someone in upper management if i remember correctly. 

Didn't he speak about this briefly in that gear video I've seen linked a few times on here ? I could be wrong on that, but I definitely remember seeing the whole black pads thing being mentioned somewhere online. 

10 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

I might have imagined this, but did I hear that some NHL team's Owners/GM's/Coaches restrict the colors their goalies could use on their pads? I want to say it was related to Calgary.

The Red Wings are notorious for having to give final approval on gear/mask designs.

11 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

Yes, I believe it was reported by InGoalMag: http://ingoalmag.com/gear/mike-smith-debuts-new-ccm-premier-ii-flames-setup/

There's also this article from NHL.com: https://www.nhl.com/news/colorful-goalie-equipment-becoming-popular-again/c-278676288

1 hour ago, Murray said:

The Red Wings are notorious for having to give final approval on gear/mask designs.

That explains why everyone's worn boring white-based sets forever. Jimmy's switched it up with the all-red sets recently, but something other than basic Vaughn designs is long overdue around here.

8 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

By who’s orders?

5 hours ago, creasecollector said:

Someone in upper management if i remember correctly. 

Didn't he speak about this briefly in that gear video I've seen linked a few times on here ? I could be wrong on that, but I definitely remember seeing the whole black pads thing being mentioned somewhere online. 

Yeah, it's in this video: https://www.pscp.tv/ben_scrivens/1djGXwEXnyjKZ?t=0

Not sure when he says it, I'm re-watching to get the exact time. EDIT: 28:20

"I had someone from management feed it down the line where I wasn't allowed to wear black pads in LA"

I was also wrong, they were the Iceberg graphic not the Pulse graphic. Oops! 

Blackhawks under Dollar Bill Wirtz and Bob Pulford dictated colors too. Goalie masks had to be white. Mike Veisor put the tomhawks decals on his bucket and they wouldn't let him go on the ice. Pulford got on Skorodenski about his masks. When Bannerman went all in with the Native American mask, Pulford was already parked in the Veep suite and Dollar Bill was just too infirm to say much.

Archived