Adding Grip to a Composite

TheGoalNet

Demoing the Sher-Wood BPM 150 right now. A bit tough to come by, but they sell for like $230 CAD and are phenomenally light. I think this stick could be a sleeper on a lot of levels. It’s not a 1S, but it’s almost 1/2 the cost 

my biggest complaint so far? The stick has like a slick coating on it. I don’t like tape grips and want to coat the stick like a typical composite. 

Anyone have tips for a spray on? @IPv6Freely or @Hills anyone have feedback from Mod Squad? Seems more like a more frequent player stick question 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I just use stretch wrap. That’s pretty much what everyone uses for their paddle grip if they use anything.

I used to use that with foam cores for most of my life and I just don't like it anymore. I got spoiled with the grip coating right on the shaft with NXG / 1S. I'd prefer to expierament with a spray instead. 

@KootenayKeeper - The plasti dip will make the grip area thicker, correct? 

@cwarnar - Right now, this is the leader in the club house. Have you used this? Will this negatively impact my palms?

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

@cwarnar - Right now, this is the leader in the club house. Have you used this? Will this negatively impact my palms?

That's what I'm curious of... I use to spray it on Neumann Leather football gloves.  But with softer blocker palms it might wreck the fabric.

What about Sniper Skin? https://sniperskin.ca/collections/hockey/products/goalie-paddle-grip

@TheGoalNet I tried plasti-dip clear and it worked pretty well actually. Taped off the areas I wanted a few coats on, did so, took the tape off, did a couple more coats to blend and not have  noticeable ridge. 

Only complaint was that after say 5 skates it was starting to wear and peel up. 

That said, I just ordered a new batch of Passaus and hit up Howies for their stretch grip tape. Gonna give it a whirl once the new twigs arrrive. Should be as hard on my blocker palm as normal grip tape. 

3 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

@TheGoalNet I tried plasti-dip clear and it worked pretty well actually. Taped off the areas I wanted a few coats on, did so, took the tape off, did a couple more coats to blend and not have  noticeable ridge. 

Only complaint was that after say 5 skates it was starting to wear and peel up. 

That said, I just ordered a new batch of Passaus and hit up Howies for their stretch grip tape. Gonna give it a whirl once the new twigs arrrive. Should be as hard on my blocker palm as normal grip tape. 

What do you mean by “normal grip tape”? You talking about standard cloth  hockey tape?

47 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

What do you mean by “normal grip tape”? You talking about standard cloth  hockey tape?

There is Grip Tape which is like stick tape in terms of base fabric but has had much more grit and tackiness. Chews through you mits super fast. That’s normal grip tape. 

What I picked up is more like gauze athletic which has some grit and stickiness but stretch to allow to wrap around a shaft/paddle grip area. Much easier on palms too. 

Not endorsing the brand necessarily but... check out this page with both regular and stretch grip tape.

http://howieshockeytape.com/store/hockey-tape/hockey-grip-tape

26 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

What about the crazy rubber paint from the infomercial?!?

Flex seal!! It would probably work yeah. Not sure about application and how thick it would be. Plasti-dip is thin enough for multiple coats. And it removes pretty easily if you don’t like it. 

I got both of these at the Home Depot. I believe this is Rustoleum Plasti-Dip and Flex Seal. Rustoleaum is like 3 miles from my house, so I had to rep the local! 

I am going to try Plasti-Dip first because it can be removed. I am not sure about the Flex Seal. 

I want to avoid sanding the stick first. Is that a requirement? 

CFB88D96-ADD7-493B-9A0E-2EA382C0BBA0.jpeg

HAH! Someone DM'd me about applying it to pads on IG

I have an old Christian (Total Hockey SKU) Foam Core. I am spraying the shaft with each "paint" to see what comes up. 

After the initial spray, the the Flex Seal appears to be way thicker and heavier. I did 2 coats of Plasti-Dip and 1 of the Flex Seal. Fascinated to see what I am working with here in the morning. 

6 hours ago, cwarnar said:

I plasti-dipped a bunch of stuff on my previous vehicle. Just clean with soap and water. 50% coverage on the first coat.  15min dry time between coats. 4-6 coats to allow it to peel away

How has it held up? I want the white Model 3 but I don’t like the chrome trim. Vinyl chrome delete is about $800-1000. 

8 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Unfortunately plastidip is not meant to be permanent.  I would recommend the 4-6 coats tho. I know guys have dipped their pads and blocker/glove as well.  

After watching a YouTube video about using Plasti-Dip to color pads, I gave it a shot a while back. I was actually very impressed with the final result, but it look many many coats to get it looking right. I was just trying to cover the black accent secretions with white to get an all-white pad, but going black-to-white is probably why it took so many coats. In the end, the only issues were (1) the white didn’t really EXACTLY match the original white Jenpro, not Plasti-Dip’s fault; and (2) exposed edges started to fray a little after a couple ice times.

Anyway, this is OT. Curious to hear how it works out on the sticks. Only time I’ve used it in the past on sticks was to paint the bottom of my player sticks white or black. Held up surprisingly well with a few coats. 

39 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

After watching a YouTube video about using Plasti-Dip to color pads, I gave it a shot a while back. I was actually very impressed with the final result, but it look many many coats to get it looking right. I was just trying to cover the black accent secretions with white to get an all-white pad, but going black-to-white is probably why it took so many coats. In the end, the only issues were (1) the white didn’t really EXACTLY match the original white Jenpro, not Plasti-Dip’s fault; and (2) exposed edges started to fray a little after a couple ice times.

Anyway, this is OT. Curious to hear how it works out on the sticks. Only time I’ve used it in the past on sticks was to paint the bottom of my player sticks white or black. Held up surprisingly well with a few coats. 

Do a search on Modsquadhockey to see how well Plasti-dip works on sticks for grip in the long-term...

There is a paint additive that works like grip. I had a bicycle painted with this product (Why? Because they could) years ago. It was decently durable, but was very hard to clean. 

8 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

How has it held up? I want the white Model 3 but I don’t like the chrome trim. Vinyl chrome delete is about $800-1000. 

Trim pieces (badging and side skirts) were awesome... I de-chromed my Murano... rims however, not so much.  Smaller gouges or tears are easily repaired... with bigger ones you just peel the dip, reapply and 2 hours later its new again.

Here you can see the rims and the bottom side skirts I did in black.  On my new Explorer I got the sport appearance package to delete all chrome

5a4903062b05d_ScreenShot2017-12-31at9_31_36AM.thumb.png.a5b1146a833a9c87550986bb1ccb11a3.png

Archived