Adding Grip to a Composite

TheGoalNet

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Here is this finished product

Generally speaking it accomplished what I wanted to accomplish. I also learned a lot a lot about using the product. 

- I will definitely need to go around the top of the grip with a wrap of cloth tape. Just moving my hand around with it in the house,  it has peeled 

- I put way too much effort into this. Putting a couple pieces of masking tape over the logo and just doing 1-2 quick coats would have achieved the same or better results 

- The surface finish got worse coat after coat. It would look smooth after sanding and then the next layer made it worse 

- I do prefer this feel over a tape grip though

@TheGoalNet Anxious to hear how it holds up over a couple weeks. Like I've said before I had the same peeling issue on the edges, but also it started to peel up where I was actually gripping.*

*I used clear Plasti-Dip and not brand you chose.

2 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

@BadAngle41 I used Rustoleum version of Flex Seal too and not the Plasti Dip

Sounds good. I appreciate you specifying the brand of the coating as I think not all are created equal. I did use the tape job last night and it was great, but would be more than happy to use a spray coating instead if it turns out your experiment works. (Sorry I never posted my experience.)

• 1 month later...

I'd love that if it were a better material that actually has some level of grip, but sniper skin is crap. Too plasticy. If it were more rubbery like tacki-mac it'd be good. Even better if they could make it go over a couple inches of the paddle itself. I'll stick to stretch wrap I guess. 

For those of us still using foam cores... and are just getting into the use of grip tape... how many passes do you guys usually slap on? I've been doing 1 and it seems to last for a handful of skates which is fine. Just wondering if doubling up actually extends time between refreshes or it just uses more tape.

I use the grip tape on a composite, not a foam core, but I wrap 2 layers and secure with tape just like your earlier pictures.   I then throw another single layer on whenever I feel like I'd like more grip.   The tape compacts, so I don't feel like I'm adding much thickness until I get to about layer 5 or 6, at which point I peel it off and start over.   I also alternate colors so I can keep track of layers easier.  

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this stuff elsewhere but thought it would warrant a look here.

I'm using the Lizard Skins tape at the end of my stick right up to the butt end.  I like it a lot.  I feel i get a touch more grip and consistency when I'm playing the puck.

The nice part is you don't have to slide it over the shaft (heheh) like the Sniper Skin or Tacki Mac stuff.  It's a roll that you wrap around similar to traditional tape.
You can use regular hockey tape underneath to customize the shape of the grip.

The hockey specialty application is a .5mm thickness. 

They offer a two similar products for baseball grips that are 1.1mm and 1.8mm thick if you like a little bit of cushioning.
Actually, now that I'm typing and processing this, the thicker stuff might be great at the grip portion of a goalie composite stick to help dampen vibration.

image.png.7e1241618422df474dc075a436eacf53.png

On 01/03/2018 at 2:08 PM, TheGoalNet said:

So far the seal spray has been great... but this @Jukka Ropponenvideo was exactly what I was looking for 

This has really worked well in our testing. I do like to combine best of both worlds and create the shape of the grip with normal tape and then heat the Sniper Skin sleeve on top of that. I use both goalie grip and buttend sleeves on my sticks. We did also test the prototype blade covers and they worked OK, but did not cover the heel of the stick and therefore I do still use normal tape on my blade.

Grip with Sniper Skin gives me a lot better feel than just the stick or griptape.

On 3/31/2018 at 8:44 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Could you put tape under Sniper Skin and make your own knob?

Yes, but the problem with Sniper Skins is that the grip isn't grippy... it is smoother and more slippery than a matte stick or a grip gloss stick.

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2018 at 4:22 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Sanded it before the final coat 

063B718A-FC9D-48B8-8DCF-34DBB238A6D9.jpeg

38A9CEE9-D0CD-4F41-B490-D3702D608024.jpeg

What did you use to mask off the stick?
I used some really good painters tape, but the aerosol made it wet, and it left all the adhesive behind.

SO after a nice clean spray job, I was stuck scrubbing off glue with Goo Gone, which wasn't awful, but still an annoying extra step... which also peeled away a little bit of the rubber.

1 hour ago, HP29 said:

What did you use to mask off the stick?
I used some really good painters tape, but the aerosol made it wet, and it left all the adhesive behind.

SO after a nice clean spray job, I was stuck scrubbing off glue with Goo Gone, which wasn't awful, but still an annoying extra step... which also peeled away a little bit of the rubber.

I used a piece of paper and masking tape 

Archived